Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free Newsgroups?

newsgroupie
    Yottanews also offers a free (trial) newsgroup service, including binary groups. You just need to do a quick registration to set it up (no credit card or other info needed) and you can then download up to 1GB per IP address.

The biggest problem is that the speed is extremely slow (256kbits) and the retention is only about 2 or 3 weeks. But you can't beat the price.

http://www.yottanews.com:8080/freeaccount.php

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    GINZY's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    free only gives you bulk.If you can download what you need with Free acc, why they sell premium ? i think it's only for small files

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Quote Originally Posted by geen View Post
    There is no such thing as a free newsgroup provider. Its either a verry limited service or a trial service.

easynews.nl for example is free to try at the moment:

news.easynews.nl (port 119)
    login : [email protected]
    password : beta

8 connections 20Mbit
    this one still works great, no limits, great speeds an free! retention is up to 50 days now. It's still running free cause they keep testing their services. Don't know how long it will last. but if your looking for great speeds try it!

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    The news server geen posted, does not work anymore.. The beta trial or something is over, noone who knows any other servers?

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    apvm
    it does work but on and off so only good for additional server but not as main

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by reewnd View Post
    The news server geen posted, does not work anymore.. The beta trial or something is over, noone who knows any other servers?

Try googling the server you maybe surprised. Easynews NL still works for me

7. Newsgroups   -   #17

Urgent

Quote Originally Posted by reewnd View Post
    Hmmm how to go from to ???

This has probably been said before and also a well known fact but what the heck I found it helpfull before I knew of newsgroups and all that goes along with it. Depending on your isp you might already have news servers included in your package.

BT for example has one news.btinternet.com and a list of news servers for each provider can be found . . . . . . here.

I use the BT one here in UK and get max speed of 118Kbps which is probably most I'll get out of a shared 1MB Broadband connection anyway. Saddddddly I'll be heading back to South Africa soon so I'm getting all I can While I can. Back home in SA Broadband is virtually nonexistent unless you are fortunate enough to be one of the elites to be able to afford a descent connection. I'll probebaly will be stuck with 56Kbs Dialup.

So if anybody know differently please please let me know. If you kow any fairly priced fairly descent connection in SA, Shout!!

Good luck to all and happy DL'ing!

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Poster
    easynews.nl still works IF you were quick enough to create a personal beta account when it was still open. The previous public beta does not work, nor can you create a new personal account anymore.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Asuran View Post
    easynews.nl still works IF you were quick enough to create a personal beta account when it was still open. The previous public beta does not work, nor can you create a new personal account anymore.
    I am one of the lucky ones I guess.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Poster
    Likewise. In their forum they said that they took 7000 users into this personal accounts test phase.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast