Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: uTorrent build 489 ban

Buggyme's Avatar Retired BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Bleh, I'm sticking with 474 for now.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Sharing since 2002 BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Hm, what trackers are banning 1.6.1, i updated automaticly today.
    BitMeTV.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    mike7778's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    i have 1.6.1 490.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    donnied's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I had no idea there was such intrigue in the client world

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    [quote=lysine;1746051]short sighted? rushing to upgrade to a client without it being released or tested for 24 hours is short sighted. it's pretty obvious that bittorrent, inc. is already off to a bad start. build 488, 489, and 490 were all released within 24 hours, because they don't understand what they're doing with the code.

Fair enough - no quibbles from me there.

it's pretty simple, if you don't like a tracker's policies or rules, don't use it. that's your loss, not theirs.

Well actually it is potentially their loss.
    *1 client user = no big deal.
    *500 client users = quite a big deal.
    Mass exodus of users = ta-ta Tracker.

are you serious? you realize that bittorrent, inc. is a company and they're being pressured to return profits on all those millions of dollars that were invested into their company. they realized the mainline client that they worked on all those years was basically a piece of crap. they saw the opportunity to purchase utorrent and took it. it solves a number of their problems, they have a good codebase to work off of, and they already have millions of people using the client.
    Agreed Mainline isn't exactly going to help em' in the longer term, although at the time very few people were thinking of it as "crap". They were more "inspired" by the BitTorrent idea and what it could do for em'.
    You don't think banning potentially "millions" of users is being "short-sighted" ?
    The main problem I have is "why" they're banning it.
    It was fairly obvious this was gonna' happen when BT acquired uT. It's a "knee-jerk" reaction and nothing-else.
    I didn't see the majority of Trackers running to ban the latest Az release.
    How do they know that was "properly tested" ? Answer - they don't. They'rs assuming an implicit "trust-relationship". Why don't they do that with uT ? Answer cos' they're shittin' themselves that ownership changed and BT now own uT.
    They have absolutely NO PROOF that uT is "unfit for purpose". Nor do they have any proof that it is engaging in any form of "subvertive activity".
    Banning a client before providing evidence that there is a problem (of whatever form) just doesn't make any sense. If there's a problem with a BT Client release - it's the domain of the owning parties/company to resolve it not the domain of Tracker Admins who have no grounds to base the ban on - other than feeling/supposition.

If we follow their logic - they're gonna' ban every single new version of *any* client released by BitTorrent with no official public reason as to why.

I'd just love a Tracker Admin to just explain to me WHY, without tripping over their shoelaces.

I think you're the one that's not thinking long term.
    You really think so ?
    uT is the future client of BitTorrent's activities. They're pretty much free to do with it as they will. If they want to mod it and start sticking it in routers they'll do so.
    At this point in time, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that uT should be banned.
    BT are responsible for future uT development - not for sticking "phone-home" type code into their clients for the benefit of third parties. Sony tried that with DRM based rootkits and look what happened to them.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    The trackers ban on uTorrent is definitely a good move. It's better be safe than sorry. What if the new uT really is collecting their info or do malicious activity of some kind, it would already be too late once they find out. IMO, it's time for uT to die, there are tons of BT clients out there, just use another one. I think most of our computers are powerful enough to handle most BT client. I ran Azureus and eMule before with no problem.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post
    The trackers ban on uTorrent is definitely a good move. It's better be safe than sorry. What if the new uT really is collecting their info or do malicious activity of some kind, it would already be too late once they find out. IMO, it's time for uT to die, there are tons of BT clients out there, just use another one. I think most of our computers are powerful enough to handle most BT client. I ran Azureus and eMule before with no problem.
    Nah - I COMPLETELY disagree.
    If you think of BitTorrent as being the Tracker's "supplier" which is EXACTLY what they are in a software sense - you can't even begin to build a succesful "business-model" without that element of "trust".
    I don't go into a Telco Supplier wanting to buy a phone and worrying about whether or not there is any "bugging" equipment in it. If there was and it became public knowledge there would be pretty severe legal consequences for that business.
    BitTorrent (the Company) are in this for the long-haul and to make money of course. It doesn't serve your interests or more importantly theirs at the minute for them to do that.
    Go take a look at the uTorrent forums where they discuss offering $10,000 if anyone can PROVE their software is currently doing anything untowards.
    BTW - if you understand BitTorrent's ideas for future uT implementations you will also understand that uT will NEVER die - even though privately they've done their own C++ implementation. That doesn't mean to say they won't "morph" it to suit their needs/business-agenda just to say as things stand at the minute there's no need for bans.
    The question I keep asking myself is why are some Tracker Admins SO resistant ?
    BitTorrent have their own agenda which as far as the MPAA goes just means not doing anything that would jeopardise their longer-term business plans.
    BitTorrent don't actually give a stuff about the content only about being the delivery-mechanism/deals with content publishers/providers.
    They will never stop illegal downloading and they know it - so they don't even bother trying.
    Always remember what happened to Sony with Rootkits and extrapoliate from that. BitTorrent clients will NEVER be allowed to send info to the MPAA (or other parties) either directly or through third-parties. Nothing would kill their business quicker.
    That's why the Govt funded MPAA/RIAA exist - that's THEIR mandate. THEY need to fight that fight NOT BitTorrent.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234