Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giganews vs Usenetserver

Super Seed Me Please BT Rep: +5
    I personally been using newshosting for about 3 years (had down in 3 years for maybe 1 day if even that). Dont know much about usenetsevers but I heard Giganews releases what you have downloaded if ISP requests while newshosting does not (dont know about usenetservers). This information is quite dated so I dont know if this is currently the same... Hope it helps

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    It all depends on what you're looking for. If you download mainly scene release material than usenetserver will quench your thirst as it carries all the major groups and then some. I've never NOT found anything I was looking for on usenetserver, and if I can't find it I use torrents. Combine all your P2P and file downloading techniques into one and you can find almost anything

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by idgamerd1 View Post
    I personally been using newshosting for about 3 years (had down in 3 years for maybe 1 day if even that). Dont know much about usenetsevers but I heard Giganews releases what you have downloaded if ISP requests while newshosting does not (dont know about usenetservers). This information is quite dated so I dont know if this is currently the same... Hope it helps
    Giganews does not. Read their FAQ. They do not log anything either except what is needed to tell you how much you download etc.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    giganews ftw. I've been a customer since nov of 2002. Sure, I wish they were a bit cheaper, but eh. 100 days, great speeds, great completion, ssl... I love em

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sych0 View Post
    giganews ftw. I've been a customer since nov of 2002. Sure, I wish they were a bit cheaper, but eh. 100 days, great speeds, great completion, ssl... I love em

I agree....I could go cheaper, but Giganews gives me everything I need and then some!

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    thegman24's Avatar 100% American BadA$$ BT Rep: +2
    I would have to say that Giganews is better, although it is pricey!! But, jeez, that's capitolism for you!! You pay for what you get...

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Recently I CAN download catch_me_if_you_can 10 days old age posted by poster [email protected] in a.b.dvd9 with GigaNews, but CANNOT with Usenetserver?
    Why?

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    apprentice
    Giganews in my opinion is the best pay newsserver out there in terms of speed retention and completion plus the sheer amount of available newsgroups they have.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenchow View Post
    Recently I CAN download catch_me_if_you_can 10 days old age posted by poster [email protected] in a.b.dvd9 with GigaNews, but CANNOT with Usenetserver?
    Why?
    That post was posted using a program call dvdnordic poster. This program creates non-RFC compliant headers that our servers reject. Since we have not been able to get any response from the author of this program and apparently the users don't seem to want to switch we are forced to make our news server software non-RFC compliant. At this time we are still rejecting these types of posts but will have a work around in the future. I do not have a time frame because many levels of our software will reject these posts; peering servers, backends, frontends....

-Stephen

10. Newsgroups   -   #20

Smile

Hey Stephen, how about a comment on my initial post (110 000 newsgroups with Giganews compared to 68 000 newsgroups with Usenetserver) ? Is 68 000 still fairly accurate ? If so, do you plan to catch up ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast