Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let him be his own man

Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Ava, I hate them and everything they stand for. You obviously disagree. To be honest I don't really care, they are a waste of space. They may do something to boost your economy but they do fuck all for mine. I think they are a complete and utter waste of resources. You can throw your tourist income figures around with gay abandon all you like. Personally I could happily live without them.

We agree to disagree, you can defend them to the hilt all you want mate, but I won't be joining you on this Merry Monarchy Bandwagon.

Cheers!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    @ colt

looking at what Ava wrote it appears that he was responding to the parasite remark.

par·a·site Pronunciation (pr-st)
    n.
    1. Biology An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
    a. One who habitually takes advantage of the generosity of others without making any useful return.

I can't see that he was posting a "lovefest" for the royals but was pointing out that "parasite" is a description based on something other than reality.

Like them or not the UK makes more money out of the royals than the royals get back.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I can't see that he was posting a "lovefest" for the royals but was pointing out that "parasite" is a description based on something other than reality.

Like them or not the UK makes more money out of the royals than the royals get back.
    Aye I did notice that point, the point I was making is I think they are parasites. I think they are a drain on resources, and I think we could all live happily ever after without them.

Make money out of the Royal brand is it, better business links? I believe without them tourists and business would still continue to thrive without their input, lets give it a try! Eh? Your arguments seem to be we would be diminished without them, lesser for it, I just don't see it that way, I think we would be better off without them, and everything they stand for...I think we should have taken a leaf out of Russia's book and shot the lot of them! Viva la Revolution!

Sorry my meaning is not to offend it's just the way I feel, I'm sure a few mint Jubilee mugs are flying my way.

All the best,

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Aye I did notice that point, the point I was making is I think they are parasites. I think they are a drain on resources, and I think we could all live happily ever after without them.
    How can they be parasites if they bring in more revenue than they take?

Make money out of the Royal brand is it, better business links? I believe without them tourists and business would still continue to thrive without their input, lets give it a try! Eh? Your arguments seem to be we would be diminished without them, lesser for it, I just don't see it that way, I think we would be better off without them, and everything they stand for...I think we should have taken a leaf out of Russia's book and shot the lot of them! Viva la Revolution!

Sorry my meaning is not to offend it's just the way I feel, I'm sure a few mint Jubilee mugs are flying my way.

All the best,
    Of course the economy wouldn't collapse if the royal family didn't exist, but that is something of a strawman argument. Nobody has said that tourism money etc. is dependent on the royals, the point is that the royals generate more money not just for the economy but for the tax payer than they take. They don't just bring money into the economy through tourism either.

I don't care if you hate the royals for whatever reason, all I am pointing out is the reality that they are not parasites.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    They may do something to boost your economy but they do fuck all for mine.
    How can you claim that when the Scots get £5 per capita to every £4 per capita for the English? The English have subsidised your arses for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. That's the reason the Scots have never pushed for independence, they know when they're well off!

@ vidcc, cheers mate, a voice of reason as usual.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    How can you claim that when the Scots get £5 per capita to every £4 per capita for the English? The English have subsidised your arses for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. That's the reason the Scots have never pushed for independence, they know when they're well off!

Oh aye Ava, I vote SNP and I am all for full Independence as well. After I watched Braveheart I just couldn't handle the injustice!! But maybe this is for another thread.

@ Bumchum, thx bumchum, I luv u.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I don't care if you hate the royals for whatever reason, all I am pointing out is the reality that they are not parasites.
    Yes, and I'm pointing out that they are! You go on keep quoting the dictionary definition of words to get your point across, keep up the good work!

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

Hotly disputed figures those.

The Union was 300 years ago this very year and was an English contrivance which caused rioting in Scotland. (Money changed hands to bribe key votes in the Scottish Parliament to secure a Yes vote) It was unwanted and unpopular by the ordinary population. The question should be if we are such a drain why have the English wanted to maintain the Union for so long? Do they love us that much?

I am neutral on the Royals although they represent a class society that is alien to modern British political and social interaction. Nevertheless I certainly believe that Harry will enjoy his time roughing up a few Johnny foreigners - he has done the training so he deserves to get to go.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Yes, and I'm pointing out that they are! You go on keep quoting the dictionary definition of words to get your point across, keep up the good work!
    Ok, then explain how they are. Explain exactly what it is about them that is parasitic (remember what the word means, they must contribute nothing and only take).

You could have used many other descriptions.... privileged, hyped, out of touch, spoilt....the list could go on, but parasite is inaccurate.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Why? It's an outdated tradition.

Historically it was excellent since had to do with governing a nation. Now it seems like stuffy bullshit.
    Busyman, you obviously know fuck all about heads of state, one thing the British DON'T want, or need, is a US style head of state, multi-millionaire pea brains.

Pea brains that are involved in making decisions versus a figurehead of state that wasn't voted in...fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    It also think it is outdated for a country that has clearly embraced democracy.

If there is a monarchy, it should have power. Those powers stated in boab's link seem more like malarky.
    What does the fact that the UK has democracy, the oldest in the world, have to do with the powers of the head of state? The reason the UK system has lasted so long, 300+ years, is because of the way it works, why would you want to change it?

Here's how much the parasites have cost us, (according to Beeb from 2005), so it may have changed.....Come on now, higher or lower?
    Here we go, the same old bullshit, someone had to post it! Now show us how much the Royal Family PAY the government each year through the Crown Estates. In 2005 the Crown Estates, owned by the Royal Family and run for the government, paid 188,000,000 pounds into the Exchequer, the money they were paid is then taken from that amount. So it makes people who call them parasites look stupid. If the monarchy were abolished the Crown Estates would be handed back and the Queen would be far richer.

Add that to the estimated four BILLION pound a year tourist industry the Royal Family attract, and the billions in trade they generate, and the people calling for their heads begin to look uneducated an ill-informed.
    OIC, the Royal family pays royalties so they can solidify their figurehead position.

It sounds to me like the Royal family is simply a tourist attraction.

Hey that's great if brings in more money. However, decision making based on lineage is outdated.

I can totally respect them hanging around to bring in loot for the gubment.

Don't fanny about the "nonono they really doooo have power".

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast