Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Let him be his own man

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I think (for no particularly good reason) that the bulk of Australians would happily lose the monarchy as their head of state. As indeed would most other people. As I have said before I believe that in the 21st century it's an anachronism, the fact that people as considered subjects rather than citizens.

Let's be honest here, the best thing Americans ever did was say "Fuck that, I'm not your subject I'm a free man."

With regard to what they pay in, it's not that long ago that her majesty actually started paying tax. Prior to that she was exempt. A bit ridiculous for one of the wealthiest women in the World.

With regard to the Crown Estate. I would hope that, as and when we get rid of the monarchy we also say "No, actually that property belongs to the people of the UK. So we're keeping it. Please feel free to go back to Germany from whence you came".
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    I think (for no particularly good reason) that the bulk of Australians would happily lose the monarchy as their head of state.
    In the 1999 referendum 65% of Australians voted to keep the monarchy.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think (for no particularly good reason) that the bulk of Australians would happily lose the monarchy as their head of state. As indeed would most other people. As I have said before I believe that in the 21st century it's an anachronism, the fact that people as considered subjects rather than citizens.

Let's be honest here, the best thing Americans ever did was say "Fuck that, I'm not your subject I'm a free man."

With regard to what they pay in, it's not that long ago that her majesty actually started paying tax. Prior to that she was exempt. A bit ridiculous for one of the wealthiest women in the World.

With regard to the Crown Estate. I would hope that, as and when we get rid of the monarchy we also say "No, actually that property belongs to the people of the UK. So we're keeping it. Please feel free to go back to Germany from whence you came".
    I think that there is very little German blood left in the 'Line' now. More English, Scottish*, Greek etc. this is on the assumption that Charles is the boys father.

I am counting Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon as of Scottish descent.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    I think (for no particularly good reason) that the bulk of Australians would happily lose the monarchy as their head of state.
    In the 1999 referendum 65% of Australians voted to keep the monarchy.
    Cheers for the info.

Couple of points, was it 65% of Australians or 65% of those who could be arsed voting. I believe the Australians are quite Draconian in their views on voting but maybe that's a misconception.

And also, they haven't exactly continued to cover themselves in glory during the intervening 7 or 8 years. One is reminded of Nazi uniforms and the like.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Couple of points, was it 65% of Australians or 65% of those who could be arsed voting.
    Voting is compulsory in Australia, including referendums.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    In 2005, the year you gave figures for the cost of the Royal Family, the Crown Estates paid £180,000,000 to the government, far more than the government gives back. So your pathetic argument is blown right out of the water.
    ahaha you actually did go and do what i said, *claps* well done smacktard! Yes, their, ESTATES, now get rid of the royalty but keep the tourist attractions. LOL SO FUCK THEY ARE PARASITES!

Stop running into my fist!

Oh aye and Capt Pedantic if you think members of the royal family actually work for a living you are living in some kinda alternate universe were you dont ken what real work is. A couple of loyalist idiots from the colonies.
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 02-24-2007 at 09:34 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    ahaha you actually did go and do what i said, *claps* well done smacktard! Yes, their, ESTATES, now get rid of the royalty but keep the tourist attractions. LOL SO FUCK THEY ARE PARASITES!
    Are you really that thick, or is this just an act?

You've been proved wrong, shown up, shot down, and made to look illiterate and stupid, yet you come back claiming some sort of victory ... classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Oh aye and Capt Padantic if you think members of the royal family actually work for a living you are living in some kinda alternate universe were you dont ken what real work is. A couple of loyalist idiots from the colonies.
    The Queen's 'job' is head of state, for which she carried out over 500 official duties last year, more work than you've done since you left borstal!

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Couple of points, was it 65% of Australians or 65% of those who could be arsed voting.
    Voting is compulsory in Australia, including referendums.
    That's what I thought. Didn't know it counted for referenda tho'.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    The bottom line is we don't need them for anything and they are an affront to any nation which describes itself a democracy. I feel the same for hereditary peers btw.

In fact they're worse because they actually have power.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    The Queen is one of the richest people in the world. The pro-royal Mail on Sunday did a special investigation into her wealth last year. It argued that previous estimates had badly understated how rich she was. It reckoned her private wealth was £1.15 billion, not counting royal palaces, art collections and the like.
    The Queen personally owns:
    • Property worth £61 million, as well as official residences like Balmoral, worth £4 million. She also owns a stud farm near Newbury and a deer forest in the Highlands.
    • Racehorses worth £3.6 million.
    • Stamps worth £102 million. Her stamp collection is a bit bigger than most. It is kept in 300 albums and 200 boxes.
    • Jewels worth £72 million. The most valuable are the 105 Cullinan diamonds, cut from what was the world's biggest diamond.
    • Furs worth £1 million. The queen has 30 luxury furs in special refrigerated storage units at Buckingham Palace.
    • Cars worth £7.1 million.
    • Wine worth £2 million.
    She also gets an annual income of £7.3 million from the lands and investments of the Duchy of Lancaster.

When the queen first came to the throne 50 years ago she cut a nice deal with then prime minister Winston Churchill. It means she is the only person in the country able to reclaim tax on dividends and interest from investments in British companies. That has netted her around £1 billion.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex are "retiring" from their business ventures.
    They won't be short of money though. They will get £249,000 a year from public funds via the "civil list". And they will still live at their 57-room Surrey mansion which costs the public £250,000 a year to maintain.

The rest of the queen's family are just as parasitical and nearly as rich as her. Prince Charles has a personal wealth of around £346 million. The Queen Mother was worth around £53 million when she died recently. Prince Philip is worth £28 million in his own right.
    Prince William already has £22 million stashed away and his younger brother, Harry, is even richer, with £25 million in his royal piggy bank.

The Queen gets massive handouts from public funds. Last year her "official" expenditure, funded by us, was £35 million.. She gets £7.9 million a year directly from public funds on the "civil list". As well as land she owns personally she also owns the "crown estate" through her position as sovereign.
    This includes 120,000 hectares of agricultural land and the entire seabed around Britain. The crown estate produced £147.7 million profit last year. The queen's palaces at Balmoral in Scotland and Sandringham in Norfolk are her private property. But as queen she also has at her disposal Buckingham Palace, St James's Palace, Kensington Palace and Windsor Castle.

If all you have left to defend you position is personal insults and questioning my education, then I think the drawing room isn't for you.
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 02-24-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast