Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automerged Double Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    To stop n00bs who post 20 posts ina row in one thread 'my 1st post' 'post2' 'this is post 3' etc. to get to 20 posts.
    So why is it turned on in the Drawing Room?

We don't get n00bs very often, and none of them have ever done what you describe.

We actually need to post twice at times, as some of our threads go off at tangents.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #22
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    To stop n00bs who post 20 posts ina row in one thread 'my 1st post' 'post2' 'this is post 3' etc. to get to 20 posts.
    So why is it turned on in the Drawing Room?

We don't get n00bs very often, and none of them have ever done what you describe.

We actually need to post twice at times, as some of our threads go off at tangents.
    That's a very good point to be sure. Lots of time people will be answering 2 or more people's point so it makes sense to make multiple posts otherwise you'd end up with one-hideous uber-post of quotes, blue-writing et al.

Turn it off in the Drawing Room (unless it does get abused) and turn it on in the Lounge to stop the needless spammage.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #23
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Have an option on the Post Reply form, to say "Auto-Mergeable (Y/N). Default it to yes, but allow them to set it to no in the Drawing Room.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #24
    I have this option on the Invision forums I run, but it's set to 5 minutes, just to stop the deliberate spammers.

It's also set per forum, so no problem to turn it off.

If posts need to be merged, mods can do it quite easily.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #25
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

Good point.

And also one may wish to reply to several people individually, quoting their post at the same to to make it easier for everyone to follow. e.g. Ava may wish to reply to me, then Les, then vid. He would then have three successive posts, however it would make sense to the discussion and not be spam. If anything merging those would just muddy the waters.

If anything that means it should be on in the Lounge and off in the drawing room. However why turn it on in the lounge when it would just spoil people's fun. I honestly have no problem with people posting 20 sequential numbers. Then someone else doing it. It's the spammest of spam, true, but it isn't harming anyone.

EDIT Just read Chebus and could have said "what he said" but I've posted this now.

EDIT 2 I see it's on here.
    Last edited by Mr JP Fugley; 02-28-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #26
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I don't think that it shoud be enabled in The Lounge as double posting is often used there for comedic effect. Effectively, too.

I don't have any problem with it working in all other areas since quoting is used properly for the most part and the auto-merge creates posts identical to ones that would be created if the multiquote button were used.

/me thinks, "blimey, that's one sentence. It looks wrong but sounds right." :s
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #27
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I don't know what the multiquote button is. However Chewie does, so if he reckons it's cool for the Drawing Room, answering a few different people in sequence, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the clarification old bean.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #28
    really clever.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #29
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    I don't know what the multiquote button is. However Chewie does, so if he reckons it's cool for the Drawing Room, answering a few different people in sequence, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the clarification old bean.
    Oi! Not so much of the 'bean'.

The 'multiquote' button is the centre button of the three you see bottom right of posts.
    You click it and it turns red, then click one on another post and that does, too. You click as many as you want to reply to then click the 'Post Reply' button (or whatever it says in the board skin you have set) and the 'Reply to Thread' window appears (eventually ) with the quotes in the editbox ready for you.
    What's even neater is that the quotes appear in the order you click them. This means you can quote someone's previous post after replying to their latest etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nihan2k View Post
    really clever.
    That's so close to spam, I'm looking for the key to open the tin.
    Try making a complete sentence... "Wow that feature is really clever and should prevent me bumping my invite request threads once I gain access!" would be better.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #30
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Gee I could of been the poster boy for this topic yesterday . I seem to have no patience when the board is slow .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast