Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How safe is downloading

knight76's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Whats that saying, if something is too good to be true it probably is?

I stick to downloading only from private torrent sites that are not too easy to join. But I always check Newzbin first to see if what I am after is on usenet.

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    knight, I agree, I do the same . But, to be honest, no torrent sites are private enough, unless you're hosting your own tracker .

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
    Whats that saying, if something is too good to be true it probably is?

I stick to downloading only from private torrent sites that are not too easy to join. But I always check Newzbin first to see if what I am after is on usenet.

Lokitorrent was not too easy to join either,nor was Elitetorrents! But they STILL were raided. So private torrent sites are not as safe as you may think.

Newsgroups are far safer than even private torrent sites.

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Oh no...webe123, I'm so sorry to break it to you...but...Lokitorrents was never raided lol...I think you stuck with the old old out-dated story. The owner gave it up, nothing happened, it was a scheme that worked out in the end...and they ended up with over $30,000...

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by link2009 View Post
    Oh no...webe123, I'm so sorry to break it to you...but...Lokitorrents was never raided lol...I think you stuck with the old old out-dated story. The owner gave it up, nothing happened, it was a scheme that worked out in the end...and they ended up with over $30,000...

Do you have any links to prove what you are saying?? The last I heard, it WAS raided by the FBI and the owner was in serious legal trouble. All I could find was this Slyck link about their legal troubles, so if you have a link stating otherwise...post it!

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

It said they had to raise 30,000.00 a month for legal bills....it does not say a thing in the forums about it being fake...so where is your proof?

If it was a FAKE STORY... it sure fooled a LOT of people.

And you forget something... even IF the Loki torrent story was not true, the Elite torrents story certianly was true!

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blo...-based-on.html

So as I said in the FIRST PLACE....torrents are NOT AS SAFE AS NEWSGROUPS! Period.
    Last edited by webe123; 04-12-2007 at 09:21 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by link2009 View Post

Do you have any links to prove what you are saying?? The last I heard, it WAS raided by the FBI and the owner was in serious legal trouble. All I could find was this Slyck link about their legal troubles, so if you have a link stating otherwise...post it!

It said they had to raise 30,000.00 a month for legal bills....it does not say a thing in the forums about it being fake...so where is your proof?

The true fate of Loki torrents is still unknown.
    I myself still believe Weber pocketed the cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LokiTorrent

7. Newsgroups   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webe123 View Post

The true fate of Loki torrents is still unknown.
    I myself still believe Weber pocketed the cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LokiTorrent
    From the link you gave:
    A couple of weeks after the shutdown, news hit that the news of the MPAA lawsuit was not a hoax after all[15][16], citing court documents[17][18], complete with United States District Judge David C. Godbey's signature as proof.

That takes care of it NOT being a FAKE story!

As to the funds and where they went?

However, to this day, it is unknown whether Webber kept the member-donated funds for himself, or if all of the money was taken by the MPAA.

and the Elite Torrents story definately is TRUE!

So as I said before, private Bit Torrent sites are not as safe as some want to believe they are.
    Last edited by webe123; 04-13-2007 at 10:09 AM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #38
    Viruses are everywhere unless u have a good antivirus....u r gone.....

9. Newsgroups   -   #39
    what was the relevance of that last post?

10. Newsgroups   -   #40
    knight76's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think Maryjane was just pointing out that viruses are everywhere and downloading from any place isnt "safe". I take this topic to be discussing how safe downloading is judged against the likelyhood of the FBI bashing down your door and hauling you away at 3am.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast