Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newsdemon

newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    i am based in uk and could only pay by debit card (not Visa) and the only service that was recomended and accepted these cards were newsdemon.
    At least at the retail level, any place that accepts credit cards will also accept debit cards. Using debit cards carries much higher risk than using a credit card, since the money is withdrawn directly from your bank account as soon as the charge is made. With a credit card, you at least have the protection of the credit card company as an intermediary in case there's a disputed charge that you refuse to pay.

I strongly recommend against using a debit card for online purchases.

Here in the US, you can buy prepaid credit cards at many shopping malls and grocery stores. It's probably the safest way of paying, since it's anonymous and a dishonest merchant can't possibly rip you off for any more than the balance left on the card. With a debit card, you can have your bank balance drained dry - with no way to get the money back. That's exactly how the infamous Nigerian 419 scam works - all the crooks need is your account details and then they empty your bank account and disappear.

There are many other payment methods you can set up if you don't have or can't get a credit card and are otherwise stuck using your high-risk debit card - Paypal being the most well known of online payment companies.

I know that Ngroups/Usenet-News accepts a variety of 3rd-party payment methods, including Paypal, E-Gold, and Moneybookers. Other NSPs may be similarly flexible regarding payment method. If not, it never hurts to request it if you have another provider in mind that you want to use. I think a lot of NSPs would offer alternative payment methods if people request it.

But if you are determined that you want to pay using a debit card, it's worth remembering that any newsgroup reseller (like NewsDemon) is going to tend to be a greater credit risk than a true backend provider (like NewsHosting) that has invested millions of dollars in hardware for its server farm, unlike a newsgroup reseller - a "virtual company" which can instantly set up shop with very little investment.

NewsDemon.com is registered by "Domains by Proxy". Personally, I'd be reluctant to open my bank account to a "ghost" company that refuses to even list its address and instead hides behind a proxy. (not that I have anything against proxies, I often use them myself when I intend to break the law - copyright law, that is) At least Newshosting (like virtually all backend providers) has a real address.

Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    so do you know where there servers are based then?
    Newsdemon is a reseller that gives you access to Highwinds and Newshosting's back-end server farms located in the USA (Arizona, New York, and Virginia) and Amsterdam.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    but its not actually newsdemon that have access to it, as looking at it when you set it up its actually set up through Worldpay, and you agree on there how much is to go out each month, and if you want to cancel this you can to easily. so is this pretty safe with a debit card?

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    newsgroupie
    WorldPay is a big and well-known credit-card processing company, and a customer is going through their site, so that is much safer than putting bank card details on some untrusted merchant's website.

Using Worldpay is really more like using other professional payment services like Paypal or Moneybookers - and these generally accept debit cards also - so you should be able to use your debit card with any merchant that goes through these third-party payment-processing companies.

Being limited to using a debit card, you probably have a much wider choice than just NewsDemon.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by gsorel View Post
    They also accept paypal payment

very good usenet provider
    only reason im with them.

just got on my 6th month with them.

i wouldnt recommend them unless the person can only pay via paypal.
    reason is the connections r ghey most of the time, can take upto 5min for all the connections to finaly connect, this is cos the servers r so dam busy, well thats what it says when it cant connect.
    i just set up 4 connections x2, 4 per different port.
    gives more chances of me getting connections. works fine.

the support is very nice i must admit.

they gheyed something up with my account dunno what realy happend.
    but i said i couldnt connect and that i got error 502 and they just fixed it right away and told me to wait 5min for it to begin to work.
    so just left it and began to download in around 5min.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    cool yeah so as its through worldpay then its safe and secure and they can't just take out money??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12