Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales stubs out smoking in public places

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Ttfn

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    lynx's Avatar .
    It's really quite simple - it is bad law.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    It's really quite simple - So far the democratically elected Governments of The United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The Irish Republic, Wales and Scotland have decided to pass this law.

That's not just my opinion btw, see above.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    It's really quite simple - it is bad law.
    I don't agree. On the face of it it's a good law. Smoking is not a personal habit and while I think you have every right to smoke and endanger yourself the idea that you have the right to inflict your habit on others that choose not to smoke no matter where you are is selfish and IMO simply wrong.

Where I don't agree is the law being applied to private member only clubs (if it actually is).

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    It's really quite simple - So far the democratically elected Governments of The United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The Irish Republic, Wales and Scotland have decided to pass this law.
    So because a government is democratically elected no law passed should be questioned ?????????????????
    Democratically elected does not equate to just or competent, they are not always acting at the will of the people or in the best interests of the nation.
    Last edited by vidcc; 04-06-2007 at 04:08 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I don't agree. On the face of it it's a good law. Smoking is not a personal habit and while I think you have every right to smoke and endanger yourself the idea that you have the right to inflict your habit on others that choose not to smoke no matter where you are is selfish and IMO simply wrong.

Where I don't agree is the law being applied to private member only clubs (if it actually is).

So because a government is democratically elected no law passed should be questioned ?????????????????
    Democratically elected does not equate to just or competent, they are not always acting at the will of the people or in the best interests of the nation.
    I agree. I think things like this that affects the whole nation should be put on the ballot paper beside the party that intends to implement such laws.

http://www.clearingtheairscotland.co...tml#exemptions

EXEMPTIONS

1. Residential accommodation.

2. Designated rooms in adult care homes.

3. Adult hospices.

4. Designated rooms in psychiatric hospitals and psychiatric units.

5. Designated hotel bedrooms.

6. Detention or interview rooms which are designated rooms.

7. Designated rooms in offshore installations.

8. Private vehicles

9. Designated laboratory rooms.

10. HM Submarines and ships of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I think things like this that affects the whole nation should be put on the ballot paper beside the party that intends to implement such laws.

What else would you have on this ballot paper come manifesto, boab.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    I think things like this that affects the whole nation should be put on the ballot paper beside the party that intends to implement such laws.

Anything that is going to affect the whole nation. I am only talking about major changes. Would you like the SNP if and when elected to declare Scotland independent without a Referendum? Would you like the Conservative Party to take the UK out of Europe without consulting the public?

Incidentally I agree with the no smoking law. Just because I think it is right should not overrule the the rights of the people who think it is wrong.
    Last edited by bigboab; 04-07-2007 at 06:28 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

Anything that is going to affect the whole nation. I am only talking about major changes. Would you like the SNP if and when elected to declare Scotland independent without a Referendum? Would you like the Conservative Party to take the UK out of Europe without consulting the public?

Incidentally I agree with the no smoking law. Just because I think it is right should not overrule the the rights of the people who think it is wrong.
    Same here. We have the ban in MD.

I just look at it from both sides and not just because I don't smoke.

In certain circumstances like a private bar, we'd be infringing on smoker's rights.

Unless cigs are deemed illegal (which I'm all for ), smokers should have rights.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Just because I think it is right should not overrule the the rights of the people who think it is wrong.
    I couldn't agree more. However rights must be balanced and I think that the right of people to not be killed by passive smoking outweighs the right to smoke anywhere you chose. To

Glasgow Council is taking it further. People aren't going to be allowed to smoke anywhere on their premises. So if you are sitting in your car, parked in their car park then you will not be allowed to smoke. I think that takes it too far personally.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Just because I think it is right should not overrule the the rights of the people who think it is wrong.
    I couldn't agree more. However rights must be balanced and I think that the right of people to not be killed by passive smoking outweighs the right to smoke anywhere you chose. To

Glasgow Council is taking it further. People aren't going to be allowed to smoke anywhere on their premises. So if you are sitting in your car, parked in their car park then you will not be allowed to smoke. I think that takes it too far personally.
    My point exactly. Everyone has 'A step too far'. The National Ban was a step too far for smokers.
    I see that the Freemasons are complaining because they have to go outside with their aprons and cuffs on in order to get a smoke.
    Hellfire and brimstone inside but no smoking.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast