Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Topics and Useless Replies

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    But by that ratio if you make the post count required 0, then you eliminate newb spam. I think the trick is to make the invite section hard enough to attain that the newbs give up and move on to an easier target. Also, if newbs come on and all they do is spam, then mods should kick em fast.

Define spam. I've always gone with Senseless, Pointless, Annoying, Messages, but not everyone would agree, semantics and all.

Some members post obvious spam, such as by "thxxx" ten different times in order to obtain the minimum. Typically, those posts are easy to spot and are consequently, deleted. But other members do just enough to be considered on-topic. Take this popular technique for example. Do you consider this to be spam that is deserving of the all-mighty delete button? It certainly isn't off-topic, but it isn't what I would consider a productive posting trend either. And therein lies the dilemma - To be, or not to be.....deleted.

Hell, make the post count 200 before you get into the invites section. No newb is going to join with the premise of spamming 200 posts just to get into that section. Well, few newbs anyhow.

No offense, but that would be a horrible decision. Spam would go through the roof, no question, and we mods have much better things to do with our time than delete it all. There are also members who will post those amounts - Example: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/thequasi-158929

Dropping the required posts to zero is OK with me, though I think they should still wait the required 30 days. It's sort of a passive hazing.

yo

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    knight76's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think your definition of spam is pretty accurate. No doubt there are people out there that would post 200 spam messages but they would be easy enough to ID. I really have no idea on the logistics and dynamics of running a forum, just putting up some thoughts.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    All a greed.

I agree too, with Cheese, dus this reply, belong to the useless replies category?

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
    I think your definition of spam is pretty accurate. No doubt there are people out there that would post 200 spam messages but they would be easy enough to ID. I really have no idea on the logistics and dynamics of running a forum, just putting up some thoughts.
    I like you.

You may only be here to get into the invite section, of which I disapprove, but you have a mild form of OCD, which always makes for a decent spud.

Can I suggest you try other things on the forum too, I think you'll like them. I'm sure you would enjoy the Lounge.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Or we could just remove all traces of invites section from the n00bs, ie no more 'post x and wait xx to get into invites section' threads and other advertisements.
    Let it be a nice surprise to those who are proper members here, and raise the requirements.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Or we could just remove all traces of invites section from the n00bs, ie no more 'post x and wait xx to get into invites section' threads and other advertisements.
    Let it be a nice surprise to those who are proper members here, and raise the requirements.
    That's a good idea. Wouldn't be as effective as removing the section altogether, but obviously that would be a controversial move.

Aside from that there's no magic solution to stop stupid people posting crap, it's a fact of internet life. It's unfortunate to have to do it, but I think strict, effective moderation is the best strategy. At the moment, it's hard to see any moderation present in BitTorrent. Is 3 moderators really enough for a forum with so much traffic? I'm sure there are plenty of well trusted FST posters that would be more than happy to chip in and help clean the place up.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-12-2007 at 12:28 AM.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    knight76's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I like you.

You may only be here to get into the invite section, of which I disapprove, but you have a mild form of OCD, which always makes for a decent spud.

Can I suggest you try other things on the forum too, I think you'll like them. I'm sure you would enjoy the Lounge.
    Haha, You should see me playing scrabble. It's more than mild.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    That's a good idea. Wouldn't be as effective as removing the section altogether, but obviously that would be a controversial move.

Aside from that there's no magic solution to stop stupid people posting crap, it's a fact of internet life. It's unfortunate to have to do it, but I think strict, effective moderation is the best strategy. At the moment, it's hard to see any moderation present in BitTorrent. Is 3 moderators really enough for a forum with so much traffic? I'm sure there are plenty of well trusted FST posters that would be more than happy to chip in and help clean the place up.
    It's what you don't see.....

There is a good deal of moderation. I logged on an hour ago, and am just now getting around to browsing, as the first hour was spent working on problems. (ie - moderating)

Not to come off the wrong way, but you're making a lot of judgments for someone who has just joined the forum. May I assume you're an old member under a new name, or just another JP ID?

yo

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Why not set the post count to 50 or 100 to gain access to the invite section. That and make the length of time before gaining access 3 months. The main point of this site is to encourage discussion on file sharing, not encourage invite beggers to get ten posts up over a month.

That would put off anybody just joining to throw a few quick mesages up and wait the month out to be for oink invites.

Having said that I am looking forward to getting into the invites section but I can wait if this rule is changed before starting my begging barrage
    If you decide to venture into the Lounge, such posts as this one, will endear you to the Lounge Lizards.. and your safe return to the BitTorrent Forum guaranteed,...

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post

It's what you don't see.....

There is a good deal of moderation. I logged on an hour ago, and am just now getting around to browsing, as the first hour was spent working on problems. (ie - moderating)

Not to come off the wrong way, but you're making a lot of judgments for someone who has just joined the forum. May I assume you're an old member under a new name, or just another JP ID?
    Not me mate, all my current names are well known.

I like you.

Haha, You should see me playing scrabble. It's more than mild.
    I'm betting that in two player scrabble (the only type) you would expect a joint score of over 600, with nearer 700 being decent. You would also expect that there would be at least one seven letter word but happier if there were two of three.

Further a dictionary may be referred to, but only when a challenge is made. "No you can't use it to check the spelling, put what you think it is and if it's wrong I'll challenge it and we can check and no you won't get another "shot", if it's wrong it's wrong"

Anyone who challenges a word like adz (adze) or qua is not even worth playing. "Fuck if you don't know words like that then why even bother with scrabble".

You would like j2 btw, you'll find him in the Drawing Room most of the time.
    Last edited by JPaul; 04-12-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast