Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the difference between "FLAC" and "lossless"

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    you sure that 35 mb isnt just one file. there is no way the flac version of any album will be 35mb.

2. Music   -   #12
    Even for a single song 35MB is a little small. Just because it's posted in the lossless group doesn't mean it's lossless for sure.

3. Music   -   #13
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    the flac format has a variable bitrate. It's much smaller than wav because wave files have a lot more in them besides music. Most flac songs will peak in quality at about 700-1000 kbps.

Anyway, lossless means that there has been no compression of the audio streams, and flac is a form of a lossless file. Saying lossless and flac is like saying processor and Core 2 duo. One is general, the other is specific.

4. Music   -   #14
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Anyway, lossless means that there has been no compression of the audio streams

Not strictly true. Lossless means that the audio quality hasn't been compromised in any way by the compression.

To use an analogy, a zip file or a rar file is a lossless compression method. The file sizes are much smaller, but no data has actually been lost.

Just think of the chaos if zip files were lossy

Anyway, by that definition, depending on the compression algorithm used, there can be different lossless compression formats that result in differently sized files.

10% of the original file size seems a bit too good to be true however. I'm suspectiing that wasn't truly lossless...

5. Music   -   #15
    Lossless=non destructive compression

6. Music   -   #16
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Anyway, lossless means that there has been no compression of the audio streams

Not strictly true. Lossless means that the audio quality hasn't been compromised in any way by the compression.

To use an analogy, a zip file or a rar file is a lossless compression method. The file sizes are much smaller, but no data has actually been lost.

Just think of the chaos if zip files were lossy

Anyway, by that definition, depending on the compression algorithm used, there can be different lossless compression formats that result in differently sized files.

10% of the original file size seems a bit too good to be true however. I'm suspectiing that wasn't truly lossless...
    Well said.

-bd

7. Music   -   #17
    snowultra's Avatar Member
    i hate flac, why would use flac, when you can you just convert into mp3

8. Music   -   #18
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by snowultra View Post
    i hate flac, why would use flac, when you can you just convert into mp3
    Because its lossless?

:p
    Spoiler: Show

9. Music   -   #19
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I like lossless. Gives more depth to the music. MP3s sound a little tinny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12