Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentatonic Scales. Simple or Necessary

thegman24's Avatar 100% American BadA$$ BT Rep: +2
    I f-ing hate guitarists who think like mathematicians, your job is too be a good rhythm guitarist FIRST, then harmony and melody; have played for years and I think a guitarist must be creative and simple, look at Jerry Cantrell, his stuff is very classic rock, but it's very rhythmic and creative as well...

Five Favorite Solos:

1. The Muffin Man (Frank Zappa... Undoubtedly one of Zappa's greatest solos, "Girl you thought man, but he was a muffin!!)
    2. Rehab (Down... Pepper Keenan's shining moment / with a wah-wah... give me some medicine. Hell Yeah!)
    3. Them Bones (AIC... first one; short, sweet and almost lyrical, the way solos should be!!!)
    4. Big Eyed Beans from Venus (Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band--Zoot Horn Rollo's shining moment with a slide!!)
    5. A Million Miles Away (Rory Gallagher; last solo towards the end of the last verse; maybe Rory's shining moment.)

-The GMan24
    Last edited by thegman24; 05-05-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Changed Content

2. Music   -   #12
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    I would agree with your rhythm first. This thread was intended to get beyond that. If you have any input for us fuckers,please do.

P.S it's funny you put Zappa as your #1. Zappa was completely into the idea of theory in his songwriting....surely you knew that. If you've seen any video of him he always references theory when describing songs to his band-mates.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 05-06-2007 at 10:43 PM.

3. Music   -   #13
    thegman24's Avatar 100% American BadA$$ BT Rep: +2
    I don't really have any input for you, I don't mind theory, but for me: it's just I try to break all the rules. I mean I have studied book after book, and yeah, learning about great chops and the different modes. Although, I love Ted Greene's books, may he RIP.

But I am a lefty, and I don't think that way. When your a lefty, everything is right brained man, in a way it goes against everything! Your not thinking, "would a minor lick go here, or let me see if I can play a E major blues shuffle...."

Your like, lets put on some Albert King, Blues Power and BOOGIE!! Or, lets play some Pink Floyd and bend them strings a bit... tablature and looking at inked notes makes me constipated... thats all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12