Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A poll of representative Muslims...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

In case you've missed it, Ian, Christianity has done away with the sundry tortuous physical impositions (including the death-dealing), and only the odd bit of proselytizing survives here and there, while Islam perpetuates the idea that "death to the infidel" (infidel defined as anyone who does not embrace Islam) is part and parcel of their religion.

As has been noted, beheadings have become the signature of those who are carrying the Islamic "ball" these days, yet people such as yourself continue to play the "moral equivalence" card in order to attack the U.S. (whose foreign policy is not tied to Christianity, I think you'll find) and excuse/omit mention of the barbarities committed by portable Islam's leading edge.

It is one thing to observe such a failing in a run-of-the-mill Muslim, but a non-religious person failing to notice the difference in order to concentrate his consternation on one side and avoid criticizing the other is, well...curious.

j2k4. You can't argue with the elite!
    ilw is normally a very sensible guy, however it seems he has a jaundiced eye when discussing matters with religious import.

It is also difficult to use the tactic of weighting the relative actions of opposing sides without running headlong into the tag of moral equivalence (an inherently religious cognition) when it is kept properly at hand.

I normally keep it in my wallet, or, failing that, a vest pocket.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    There is none so blind as he who will not see.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    There is none so blind as he who will not see.
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    hmf, the eagle has decended on it's pray, with talons clutching and piercing soft pink flesh.

Sounds like something John Ashcroft might sing.
    Do you mind, in the future, adding a link to the source, as now, instead of you egocentrically concentrating on a comment, referring to yourself; while like me, you should be at the front, stemming this bloody tide, that threatens to overwhelm us and our civilization ( if thats what one wishes to call it).

Now you waste my time Googling to see if there is any significance to you words, or are you totally wasting my time. For that we have the Lounge.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25

Sounds like something John Ashcroft might sing.
    Do you mind, in the future, adding a link to the source, as now, instead of you egocentrically concentrating on a comment, referring to yourself; while like me, you should be at the front, stemming this bloody tide, that threatens to overwhelm us and our civilization ( if thats what one wishes to call it).

Now you waste my time Googling to see if there is any significance to you words, or are you totally wasting my time. For that we have the Lounge.

I'm not going to do the research for you WizEard. If you don't know what I'm refering to that is not my fault. I'll try to leave you out from now on. K?

P.S you may be in front,as you say, but that leaves nothing for me to see but An Ass!!
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26

I'm not going to do the research for you WizEard. If you don't know what I'm refering to that is not my fault. I'll try to leave you out from now on. K?

P.S you may be in front,as you say, but that leaves nothing for me to see but An Ass!!
    Not at all, and there is no question of "fault"when you mention some person, that perhaps everyone knows about except for me. Then you go and mock me? If you wish to cross metaphorical swords with me no problem. If you are going to quote people and not the source or what you mean. Then you are trying to hoist yourself above me. The fall could be painful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M789kRvbziM

well now I have seen it; it's an insult and repetitive too.
    The point is, sarcasm, actually is the last refuge, for the empty of mind that's in full retreat
    Last edited by thewizeard; 05-19-2007 at 02:10 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27

Not at all, and there is no question of "fault"when you mention some person, that perhaps everyone knows about except for me. Then you go and mock me? If you wish to cross metaphorical swords with me no problem. If you are going to quote people and not the source or what you mean. Then you are trying to hoist yourself above me. The fall could be painful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M789kRvbziM

well now I have seen it; it's an insult and repetitive too.
    The point is, sarcasm, actually is the last refuge, for the empty of mind that's in full retreat
    What would your sword be a metaphor for?
    I will admit fault in one instance. I hadn't noticed you are not from the U.S.
    If you were you would have known my reference to John Ashcroft.
    I was not trying to hoist myself above you nor will I lower myself to you.
    As for my Ass comment. Gems like those musn't be let go.
    I'll leave the mythological speak to you.

Sarcasm in the right situation can be quite powerful.
    We've become terribly off topic. After your volley I shall stop jabbing at you.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 05-19-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: O.C Disorder?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    ...both christianity and islam are proselytising religions i.e. they have put an onus on their believers to try and save others by persuading them to see the light. Naturally if these religions are unconstrained they will spread like bacteria (cancer?) along an exponential growth path.
    In case you've missed it, Ian, Christianity has done away with the sundry tortuous physical impositions (including the death-dealing), and only the odd bit of proselytizing survives here and there, while Islam perpetuates the idea that "death to the infidel" (infidel defined as anyone who does not embrace Islam) is part and parcel of their religion.

As has been noted, beheadings have become the signature of those who are carrying the Islamic "ball" these days, yet people such as yourself continue to play the "moral equivalence" card in order to attack the U.S. (whose foreign policy is not tied to Christianity, I think you'll find) and excuse/omit mention of the barbarities committed by portable Islam's leading edge.

It is one thing to observe such a failing in a run-of-the-mill Muslim, but a non-religious person failing to notice the difference in order to concentrate his consternation on one side and avoid criticizing the other is, well...curious.
    not trying to give any sort of moral equivalence between the religions or trying to justify attacks on the US. i was just pointing out that its hypocritical to complain about the fact that muslims are trying (and succeeding?) to spread their religion unless you are happy to complain about christians trying to spread. However i couldn't agree more with complaining about the methods some muslims are willing to use to make their religion number 1.

Underlying that i suppose is my belief that all religions are basically equal, i.e. christianity isn't superior to islam. The best you can say is that christianity better aligns with our cultural morality (but considering we live in essentially christian countries thats a bit circular).

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Christianity is far more superior that Islam, but is still crap, Islam is not only crap, but cancerous and should be eliminated at all costs.
    Best is Buddhism where one learns to respect the rights of others to exist., even when they don't agree with you.
    The job ahead, is to make one/(all) aware of the fact, that God really doesn't exist. Then we move forward from there together.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Christianity is far more superior that Islam, but is still crap, Islam is not only crap, but cancerous and should be eliminated at all costs.
    Best is Buddhism where one learns to respect the rights of others to exist., even when they don't agree with you.
    The job ahead, is to make one/(all) aware of the fact, that God really doesn't exist. Then we move forward from there together.

Try reading what you posted above.

You canceled your Best is Buddhism line by the ones above it.

How can you say Buddhism is best because it teaches to respect the rights of others to exist and before that say Islam should be eliminated because it is crap and cancerous?

You say to respect the rights of others and then say we all need to believe what you believe.

And if God doesn't exist why did you capitalize God in your sentence?
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 05-19-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast