Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feed the animals to the zoo...

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12345 View Post
    My point is this, animals are life. We are also life. Because we are human, doesnt necessarily give us the right to slaughter things for entertainment. Food, ok. Danger to us, ok. Make a kid laugh while its been butchered by a pack of full tigers?
    Are the tigers not going to eat the prey then?

Killing for food is not immoral but watching food being killed is? I'm sure the purpose is to educate more than gratuitous entertainment. The fact that it may sometimes (on the part of the viewer) be used for gratuitous entertainment is probably more the fault of our modern cleansed society where we have become squeamish because we hide the reality of our lifestyle out of sight.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I hope you all boycott shows like the excellent Richard Attenborough wildlife documentaries.
    think you meant his bro david

overall i find it hard to get too bothered by zoos in the west, i've never been to one which i thought was treating the animals cruelly, although the pens in one i went to in Sweden (I think) seemed pretty small. Having animals kill live prey does seem a bit unnecessarily cruel, but imo nowhere near as cruel as battery farming millions of chickens in the UK (and elsewhere) which we seem to be fine with

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    vid mentioned this and I was going to.

jimbo, you may as well not watch Discovery or National Geographic Channels.

Some of the other stuff I disagree with, like keeping animals in small ass cages or the zoo-chosis stuff where they don't have shit to do but well....shit.

The tigers on the other hand are simply doing what they do.

I remember Chris Rock said something like:

"Everybody's talking about the tiger went crazy on Roy (of Siegfried & Roy)."

"That tiger went...TIGER."

I can't believe tralalala mentioned that the poor chickens were frightened.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I hope you all boycott shows like the excellent Richard Attenborough wildlife documentaries.
    think you meant his bro david
    Yes you are correct, thanks for pointing that out (Although how he managed to film humans with dinosaurs is a mystery )

I shall correct my mistake

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™;

better believe it then.. I just find it unnecessary to let visitors use helpless chickens as a teaser to tigers.. Its totally cruel, unnecessary, and plain stupid in my opinion.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™;

better believe it then.. I just find it unnecessary to let visitors use helpless chickens as a teaser to tigers.. Its totally cruel, unnecessary, and plain stupid in my opinion.
    You are right. It is cruel to the Tigers.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think some of you have missed the point that the tigers were already overfed.

The action of providing live cattle and fowl for the tigers to maim and kill did not correspond in any way to the natural lifestyle of tigers. Tigers are normally solitary hunters, and when they catch their prey the prey is usually dead within seconds of being caught.

This video shows action which is purely for the titillation of the masses, and because it does not represent the natural behaviour of the tigers it is unlikely to provide them with much stimulation.

Given the opportunity, tigers will also try to eat humans.

Perhaps some of you who think this is a good idea would like to take your chances. I'm sure the crowd would find it entertaining.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I think some of you have missed the point that the tigers were already overfed.

The action of providing live cattle and fowl for the tigers to maim and kill did not correspond in any way to the natural lifestyle of tigers. Tigers are normally solitary hunters, and when they catch their prey the prey is usually dead within seconds of being caught.

This video shows action which is purely for the titillation of the masses, and because it does not represent the natural behaviour of the tigers it is unlikely to provide them with much stimulation.

Given the opportunity, tigers will also try to eat humans.

Perhaps some of you who think this is a good idea would like to take your chances. I'm sure the crowd would find it entertaining.
    No the point wasn't missed. I also doubt that tigers in the wild are afraid of humans so I don't know where you are going there.

I'm still not going to lose sleep over the slower death of a cow to tiger, even for entertainment.

I have more distaste for what the animals go through to do tricks (the tricks themselves are kinda kewol though).

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Then perhaps the moral outrage should not be directed at feeding tigers live food but instead at the tiger being in captivity to start with.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    My issue comes from 3 points:

1 - Captive tigers (though i know they do a breeding scheme as they are hunted a lot

2 - Fat captive tigers in groups - so full i guarantee that that cow was not fully eaten

3 - The whole entertainment thing

I love documentaries of African plains, watching lions hunt wilderbeest and the like. Sometimes, the wilderbeest gets way. The thrill is in the chase, watching the predator stalk, chase and kill its prey. For food. In natualr environments. Not drpped out of a mini-dumper on top of some ful-to-bursting animals.

Fait play, maybe i'm being a bit sensitive, but the whole Chinese culture i know well, and the look at those kids reveling off it is a very worrying thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast