Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: does anybody make a good case anymore?

lynx's Avatar .
    I'm not even going to ask why anyone would want to make 4 raid 5 arrays out of 12 drives, it seems such a waste of disk capacity.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Last edited by y7deluxe; 10-09-2019 at 06:05 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    lynx's Avatar .
    But the bit I don't understand is why have 4 arrays of 3 disks each, giving the equivalent capacity of 8 disks.

To achieve the same capacity you could have 2 arrays of 5 disks, saving 2 disks, or even a single array of 9 disks, saving 3 disks.

If you insisted on using all 12 disks you could have 3 arrays of 4 disks giving the equivalent of 9 disks, 2 arrays of 5 disks giving 10 disks capacity, or even a single array of 12 disks giving 11 disks capacity.

To be fair, I wouldn't go for a single array though.

A word of warning.
    At least one of the 12-port raid controllers starts to lose performance after about 8 drives are active. If that's the case then the extra ports are really only suitable for attaching "hot spare" drives - drives which are available for automatic switch-over in the case of failure.

Did anyone hear an echo?
    Last edited by lynx; 06-20-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Last edited by y7deluxe; 10-09-2019 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's the first time you've actually said which controller you've got. The comments I'd seen were about one of the areca cards. I thought I'd give you the warning in case that was what you bought. I've no personal experience with them.

Since you've got 3ware the following is not relevant, but if you think about it, the environment could not be a factor since the individual drives are handled by the controller not the OS. The OS (except for special diagnostic progs) never sees the raw drives so can't possibly affect their performance.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Last edited by y7deluxe; 10-09-2019 at 06:04 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by y7deluxe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by y7deluxe View Post
    Purchasing the 9650SE-12ML would be a waste of money if you were creating only raid 5 arrays and had only 11 slots. 11 slots would give me the ability to make 3 raid 5 arrays with 2 slots to spare. 1 for my OS HD and the other for a dvd burner. The thermaltake case that I purchased ended up working with the plastic washers... it just isn't sitting level. It has 11 front 5.25" drive bays with another 3 in the back. So I can have my 4 raid 5 arrays and my OS HD with the dvd burner. 14 slots ended up being the perfect number. 4 120mm fans and 2 90mm fans. 1 120mm fan per three HD's up in the front and 2 90mm fans for the array in the back. Sorry to disappoint. The thermaltake is still a shitty case, but it's the better option for me over the stacker and it's getting me by until the case I'm after becomes available.

Either way, the case is finally setup and working properly, even though it's on a slant. I never expected that to be an issue, but that is how things always turn out. Thanks for all the input guys. Till next time.
    You talking to yourself now?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Last edited by y7deluxe; 10-09-2019 at 06:04 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    lynx's Avatar .
    I understood your meaning.

I had previously looked at the raid controllers and seen the warning, but I hadn't realised from your post that the 9650SE-12ML was one of the raid controllers, I assumed (wrongly) that it was another case.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234