Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pew! Or, World Opinion Of The Usa

If you wish a country to seek justification for something ask the United Kingdom to justify that. No military significance, a city of art, totally destroyed by incendiary bombs
    That was in the 1940's, many things have changed since then, segregation still existed in the USA for example. Why not ask for justification of that as well?

Comparing the ethics of 2003 with those of the 1940's isn't really appropriate or relevant to whats going on in the world today.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@18 June 2003 - 01:20
    If you wish a country to seek justification for something ask the United Kingdom to justify that. No military significance, a city of art, totally destroyed by incendiary bombs
    That was in the 1940's, many things have changed since then, segregation still existed in the USA for example. Why not ask for justification of that as well?

Comparing the ethics of 2003 with those of the 1940's isn't really appropriate or relevant to whats going on in the world today.
    Circumstances change, I was unaware that ethics were so variable. The "right" thing to do, should be as appropriate today as it was in the beginning.

I am unaware of segregation in the United States, but I'm sure it exists somewhere. Don't let the exception represent the rule.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Circumstances change, I was unaware that ethics were so variable. The "right" thing to do, should be as appropriate today as it was in the beginning.

I am unaware of segregation in the United States, but I'm sure it exists somewhere. Don't let the exception represent the rule.
    I said segregation existed back then, as in the past tense, and it was the rule not the exception.

Your right of course ethics should be a standard that doesnt change. However if you look back at history you will see that the idea of ethics is constantly changing. Women getting the vote, non-white people being seen as equals.. the list goes on. This is progress and may long may it continue. I'm sure in 100 years time some things we see as acceptable now will be seen as highly unethical.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@18 June 2003 - 01:58

I said segregation existed back then, as in the past tense, and it was the rule not the exception.

Your right of course ethics should be a standard that doesnt change. However if you look back at history you will see that the idea of ethics is constantly changing. Women getting the vote, non-white people being seen as equals.. the list goes on. This is progress and may long may it continue. I'm sure in 100 years time some things we see as acceptable now will be seen as highly unethical.
    You are right, I read the "existed" as "exists". My mistake.

I see Ethics like Emmanuel Kant. You create rules for a just society, blind to your own identity (gender, race, religion).

I see societal acceptance as changing over time, but this does not reflect ethics. Women voting, blacks as equal, I see more as societal perversions, not the result of ethical contemplation.

I would hope that those engage in ethics would be head and shoulders about the general ignorance of the times.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by angellynn26@17 June 2003 - 16:42
    If my liberal ideas are your problem and you are, in fact, a conservative, then I see you as a part of the American problem and we will always have issues with one another.  I'm also not going anywhere, so you are just going to have to deal with it.

*edit*
    Now, can't we just let this fighting go and get back to politics?  It was fun, but I am not going to continue this juvenile rabble with you.
    Angellynn26-

Believe me, I don't want you to go anywhere, and I am actually quite adept at "dealing" with it.

I didn't think we were fighting, merely squabbling, perhaps.

I am disturbed, however, at the sweep of your generalizations about me; I am a conservative, and I try to leave no doubt on that score.

I can only conclude that you haven't got any background on me, nor I on you, due to your newness here.

I am loathe to tell you to "read my stuff", as I am not quite that vain, SO-

Why don't we steer around each other for the time being; maybe time will breed a familiarity that will allow us to poke and prod with a little less heat.

Okay?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Poster
    I put that stupid pic and choice to show the absurdity of the poll.
    What nomination process?
    Who got to nominate?
    Mr T?
    It doesn't matter.
    It wreaks of jealousy and envy anyway.

Michael Moore is dangerously close to being a Communist so I can see why
    some people in this forum might like him.
    Michael Moore is as anti American as anyone that was actually born here can get.
    He hates this country and regularly posts his hatred on the web for all to see.
    Michael Moore in a recent interview said we should be paying over 80% of our hard earned money to the US gov.
    He's a Commie!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@19 June 2003 - 05:42
    Michael Moore is dangerously close to being a Communist so I can see why
    some people in this forum might like him.
    Michael Moore is as anti American as anyone that was actually born here can get.
    He hates this country and regularly posts his hatred on the web for all to see.
    Michael Moore in a recent interview said we should be paying over 80% of our hard earned money to the US gov.
    He's a Commie!
    S&A, honestly, if you keep this up, i'm going to invite you to my place for a month or 2 to deprogram you.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 June 2003 - 02:13

Angellynn26-

Believe me, I don't want you to go anywhere, and I am actually quite adept at "dealing" with it.

I didn't think we were fighting, merely squabbling, perhaps.

I am disturbed, however, at the sweep of your generalizations about me; I am a conservative, and I try to leave no doubt on that score.

I can only conclude that you haven't got any background on me, nor I on you, due to your newness here.

I am loathe to tell you to "read my stuff", as I am not quite that vain, SO-

Why don't we steer around each other for the time being; maybe time will breed a familiarity that will allow us to poke and prod with a little less heat.

Okay?
    j2 -

Fair enough. I appreciate the courtesy of being polite about it, thanks - truly. My words are sometimes harsh and my passion very strong... it gets to the better of me sometimes.

Again, I have no problem debating with anyone over my liberal, sometimes radical stance... Lord knows there aren't many people who don't take issue with it. I only ask that we stick to the facts at hand and not take it to the personal level. It's not polite, it's immature, and it is never the proper way to defend your stance. It is much easier to prevent these kinds of long, rude posts if we can all just agree to follow this one rule.

Also, I apologize if you were offended by my generalizations... the length and content of the previous post was merely to prove a point. I put in a lot of filler, and made a lot of assumptions due to the tone of your last post. In other words, I felt you were doing the same to me.

It is always easier to take someone's opinions personally, rather than seeing that each person may have found good reason in their lives to warrant that opinion. I will never disrespect someone personally unless I feel they have done the same to me.

I look forward to getting to know you, j2, especially if you can be polite about things. I have nothing against conservatives, it's just that once one is revealed to me, I almost never receive anything but attacks aimed at me personally. I am a veteran of quite a few political forums, and this has almost always been the case. Forgive me, but it has become an automatic defense mechanism.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Originally posted by JPaul@17 June 2003 - 18:23
    To follow where the thread went, if I were to pick just one citizen of the USA to be classified as greatest it would be Martin Luther King Junior. The reasons are self evident.
    I second that! B)

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@19 June 2003 - 06:23
    S&A, honestly, if you keep this up, i'm going to invite you to my place for a month or 2 to deprogram you.
    .... ....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123