Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Karma

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    cracking post

You've explained that incredibly well. Cheers

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by spamj View Post
    Personally I think karma is a manifestation (or possibly a side-effect) of the mind's ability affect your movement through reality.

To explain:

Quantum physics suggests that the fundamental nature of reality exists as a probability wave. Energy and matter (what are different aspects of the same thing) have a specific probability of existing in each of several states. We do not know which state a particle will end up in until we observe it (or more specifically we interact with it directly or indirectly). Though we do not know definitively where an oxygen molecule will be at any given moment, we can say that it has a near certain probablility continuing on whatever path it is already on, and a near impossible probability of jumping 100 meters to the left.

If you believe in free will than you can take this to mean that each of us has some control over how these probability waves will manifest at each point of interaction. Naturally it takes more effort of will to make improbable things happen that it does to make probable things happen. Again, in terms of quantum physics you could say that at every point a choice is made (every time you interact with the world and a probability becomes a reality) two or more new universes are created and free will is a matter of deciding which one to take.

I believe karma is not a direct relationship between cause and effect. Karma is the act of realizing that every decision you make is a way of controlling your travel through existence. By making the good choices (what is good is entirely subjective) you can, to some extent, guide yourself to good results.
    Making subjectively good choices can lead to good results.

Uhhh...yeah ok.

At least you didn't say that if guy who robbed the liquor store died in a plane crash a year later, that it was karma.

Saying good choices can lead to good results is like stating the CaptainObvious.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Uhhh...yeah ok.

At least you didn't say that if guy who robbed the liquor store died in a plane crash a year later, that it was karma.

Saying good choices can lead to good results is like stating the CaptainObvious.

It was difficult enough to attempt to compress any real discussion on karma into 250 words or less. Thanks for paraphrasing my post into a single sentence and then chiding me for obviousness. We could have a productive, reasoned discussion on the topic or we could pick apart each other's arguments 8 words at a time. Anyone want to contribute anything substantial to the topic?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by spamj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Uhhh...yeah ok.

It was difficult enough to attempt to compress any real discussion on karma into 250 words or less. Thanks for paraphrasing my post into a single sentence and then chiding me for obviousness. We could have a productive, reasoned discussion on the topic or we could pick apart each other's arguments 8 words at a time. Anyone want to contribute anything substantial to the topic?
    Is there anything substantial other than be good and good will....quite possibly....happen to you?

If I lift weights all day I will quite possibly get stronger....in body odor.

Good shit happens to bad people and vice-versa. Karma, as the general public views it, is something that makes people feel comfortable that there is some get back for one's actions.

Generally it's pretty commonplace to believe that there is direct relationship between the good and bad that happens to you.

It's the indirect relationship that makes no sense to anyone so they the Karma label on it like people do with horoscopes.

It's bullshit.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 07-30-2007 at 07:18 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Interesting discussion here. I am a Buddhist (Tibetan Buddhism) and I sincerely believe in karma. The concept of karma cannot be proved AFAIK but through studying one can come to an understanding/acceptance of this. I'm not so good at explaining karma properly so I found a few good quotes and links to their sites below where you can find a good explanation of karma:

"Countless rebirths lie ahead, both good and bad. The effects of karma (actions) are inevitable, and in previous lifetimes we have accumulated negative karma which will inevitably have its fruition in this or future lives. Just as someone witnessed by police in a criminal act will eventually be caught and punished, so we too must face the consequences of faulty actions we have committed in the past, there is no way to be at ease; those actions are irreversible; we must eventually undergo their effects."
    His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from 'Kindness, Clarity and Insight'

http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/karma.html

While we are born to a state created by ourselves, yet by our own self-directed efforts there is every possibility for us to create new, favourable environments even here and now. Not only individually, but also, collectively, we are at liberty to create fresh Karma that leads either towards our progress or downfall in this very life.

According to the Buddhist doctrine of Karma, one is not always compelled by an ‘iron necessity’, for Karma is neither fate, nor predestination imposed upon us by some mysterious unknown power to which we must helplessly submit ourselves. It is one’s own doing reacting on oneself, and so one has the possibility to divert the course of one’s Karma to some extent. How far one diverts it depends on oneself.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm

Peace

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    My own limited understanding of Karma aligns quite nicely with your explanation, Xix.

Nicely executed 1st post, and welcome to our forum.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by Xix View Post
    Interesting discussion here. I am a Buddhist (Tibetan Buddhism) and I sincerely believe in karma. The concept of karma cannot be proved AFAIK but through studying one can come to an understanding/acceptance of this. I'm not so good at explaining karma properly so I found a few good quotes and links to their sites below where you can find a good explanation of karma:

"Countless rebirths lie ahead, both good and bad. The effects of karma (actions) are inevitable, and in previous lifetimes we have accumulated negative karma which will inevitably have its fruition in this or future lives. Just as someone witnessed by police in a criminal act will eventually be caught and punished, so we too must face the consequences of faulty actions we have committed in the past, there is no way to be at ease; those actions are irreversible; we must eventually undergo their effects."
    His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from 'Kindness, Clarity and Insight'

http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/karma.html

While we are born to a state created by ourselves, yet by our own self-directed efforts there is every possibility for us to create new, favourable environments even here and now. Not only individually, but also, collectively, we are at liberty to create fresh Karma that leads either towards our progress or downfall in this very life.

According to the Buddhist doctrine of Karma, one is not always compelled by an ‘iron necessity’, for Karma is neither fate, nor predestination imposed upon us by some mysterious unknown power to which we must helplessly submit ourselves. It is one’s own doing reacting on oneself, and so one has the possibility to divert the course of one’s Karma to some extent. How far one diverts it depends on oneself.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm

Peace

A Buddhist!!! Get Him!!!

Welcome...welcome....just a little joke.

Hope you find what you are looking for here.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Oh Thank you kind Sirs! Thanks for the warm welcome.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Isn't karma kind of like consequences in a way? Do bad things you have bad consequences eventually. Do good things, you tend to attract more good people, things, etc.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Yes. This is the more obvious effect of good/bad actions and then there's the "deeper" effect. It's like ripples in a pond. You throw a stone in the pond and the ripples move out and hit the edges and comes back to the center. The whole universe is like that pond (if I may say so!). No part of the pond is separate from another part. It's all one pond/body of water. The separation between subject and object is said to be an illusion created by ourselves. That's the whole problem, ha ha! There's no separation.
    Last edited by Xix; 09-20-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast