View Poll Results: Would you seed for longer if the things you downloaded werent archived?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

50 58.14%
  • Nope

36 41.86%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would seed more if they werent archived

Dr_Green_Thumb's Avatar Mangina BT Rep: +4
    i got the transformers game from arenaBG and it wasnt archived and I almost pissed my pants. Saved me a 5-8 minute unpacking so I could go check my pants.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    WHRST's Avatar immortalis BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    I really don't see a problem with it since it won't change for one. Why should uploaders have to unrar them when u can do it but i just delete them after I am done seeding them anyway I do burn most things to dvd though. @Dr_Green_Thumb 5minutes to unpack? u serious, it takes me only 9 -30sec to unpack xvid and only 2 1/2 min to unpack a dvd, but really it does not make a difference to me. The only thing that takes a while for me is unpacking tv season but still i don't care. Though do tend to leave rars on my hd til I feel like unpacking but I have enough space. Though i should not have voted I do seed things for 3 or more days already so my vote will not have made a difference.
    Last edited by WHRST; 07-08-2007 at 04:00 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    IceTee's Avatar Fo'shizzle my nizzle BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post
    uploading torrents in .rars has been a scene standard for so many years, why would they all of a sudden stop doing it that way?
    It makes sense for the scene because if a file is corrupted during transfer among the topsites, they can transfer only the corrupted archive part and not the entire file. But it is useless for bittorrent users. The underlying basis for the protocol is a hash check of all files.

It would be great if BT sites would make a policy for uploaders to extract rar's before they create their torrent's. However, this would cut down on the pre-times and some uploaders might not have enough space on their servers to do this.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I would seed it longer, but I'll probably burn it in time soon cuz of my crapy 80GB.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    vipaar's Avatar Da Reptyle Wid Style
    whether it is archived or not doesn`t affect how long I seed for, I usually "archive" the files I grab to DVD anyway so that I can always come back to them later, quite a few people burn films and TV series to disc to watch on their DVD players so they usually only have the one copy on their PCs, I do have a prob with passworded archives tho, I think they are unnecessary, but just ask yourself one question, if you downloaded a 4.35GB ISO and then found out that it was corrupted, how would you feel about having to download the whole 4.35GB file again instead of just downloading a single partfile of maybe 14-15MB? I would feel really p*ssed at that

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    TheGeneral's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    agreed

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Word, I agree. When I watch a movie I always forget to delete the un rared xvid (or whatever) and it kills my HDD space.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    WHRST's Avatar immortalis BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
    Word, I agree. When I watch a movie I always forget to delete the un rared xvid (or whatever) and it kills my HDD space.
    burn them to dvd, that does help me remember to delete them and then i could come back and watch them later if i felt like doing so.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Demigod's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I think your argument only applies to video files. I don't know how convenient it would be to have iso/bin/cue files unarchived because if the file corrupts, it would be a pain to have to redownload the whole thing.

The split archive makes it easier because you only have to download a few pieces.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    pECi's Avatar ZOMG!! Torrent PLSSS BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    some video players like bsplayer, vlc and others now support viewing the movie straight from the rars
    http://metal.iplay.ro/pic/rmtlogosig.gif

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast