Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Reasons Not To Be Afraid Of The Riaa

Forum Star
    the number of users on kazaa is approx 4 million
    there will not be a lot more on other p2p apps
    4,5 million ACTIVE users at a given point of time.

A lot of filesharers only have their software turned on for a small period of time.

So the total number of users from All networks together (including IRC and usenet) is a multiple of lets say 8 million.

2. File Sharing   -   #32

200 million??
    no chance
    the number of users on kazaa is approx 4 million
    there will not be a lot more on other p2p apps
    also, the riaa can't afford to sue 1000000 people, it would simply cost too much
    I don't mean 200 million kazaa users, i was refering to the statistics of 200 million filesharers hehe sorry.
    My beliefs is that if the damn (pardon my lang.) industries didn't want us sharing, they should've not cheated us out of our money in the first place. I mean come on, a CD for 15 bucks? I can sing the damn song for free! They should've just sell each title for like 50 cent or something other than rippin the consumers off.
    Then again, it's my beliefe hehe.

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    As some of people have mentioned, the RIAA can't press charges for criminal offences. The can sue, since they're a civil legal entity, and they can "tip off" the authorities. The RIAA is an organisation set up to help protect the rights of artists of many areas, not only in music. They do use some "over-aggressive" tactics and fight fire with fire (we blast their machines, they blast ours) but they don't break the law and they don't illegally invade anyones privacy.

It seems like "privacy" is a word that is nowadays used as an excuse for breaking the law and hiding the fact to cover their sorry ass. Privacy is the right to keep your existence secret and details of your existence secret providing you stay within the realms of the law. With rights come responsibility.

I am one of the few members of the P2P networks that shares material to which I have full copyright permissions. I am a music promoter and I aid in the distribution of audio for many local bands. I'm also real interested in Open Source software development and I therefore share software written by myself and the source for software such as Apache and parts of the Linux kernel. I don't share any illegal materials and I don't approve of doing such. It's not your right to steal and redistribute the works of other parties, even if you o say you're "fighting for the freedom of speech". I'd never consider tipping off anyone but neither would I fight on the side of a thief.

If you need "privacy" then you can get it. I'd like to think that you wish to conceal your identity for legitimate reasons, but I understand this is unlikely to be the case. Anonymity is not difficult to achieve... Admins, trace my IP. Read through your logs. I'm I logging on from some ISP account in the UK? Well, that's the IP I normally use. Or is it one from Uganda? It's not hard to "hide your PC". Use an anonymous distributed proxy service or chain some unsecured Wingate proxies. There's loads out there. The loss in bandwidth is worth the gain in security.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Originally posted by Paul@20 June 2003 - 13:38
    The highest one was $7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.
    1 million????? That would take him something like 6 years to listen to his collection!

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    sgiggy02
    [FONT=Optima] I hate to burst your bubble "toddiscool", but the Canadian government has already stated that they will persue anyone who is caught downloading copyrighted material in accordance with the RIAA. Granted, it will be the huge downloaders that are targeted, but do you want to take the chance? All they have to do is ask your Isp to have access to all logs and they are granted that pretty well without hesitation. And, all new phone and cable installations have access installed to aid the government in listening in on any communications! Big Brother really is watching.

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Originally posted by Paul@20 June 2003 - 13:38
    The highest one was $7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.
    1 million mp3's? How big was this guys hard drive? Take it that on average that each one was say 3.5-4Mb, then do the maths. That'd be about 4000Gb. Is it me or does that seem a little unlikely?

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Forum Star
    It was probably divided among a couple of servers. It was on a college network.

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Ivesfreak007
    1. Am I safe in the UK? I don't download a lot of music

2. Just the music industry? Lets not forget CD-ROM games for £40, which must be about $50 in the states!

3. Who's ass is that in yo avatar paul, that is one nice ass!

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Forum Star
    1. You are safe from the RIAA.
    2. RIAA is music only. And only just popular mainstream artists.
    3. Froukje de Both

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    FvKin GeniuS :D
    I bet you half of the riaa workers use kazaa lite LoL and other p2p progs
    Board rule: max 500x150 Pixels (w x h)

https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/albegaleeeee.jpg

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast