Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: What Would You Have Done?if The War Did'nt Happen?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@28 June 2003 - 22:41
    After the spectacularly successful Republican efforts at gerrymandering state voting districts ( with substantial White House support), I have little reason to trust my state government either.
    I would be all for Federal oversight of public works. The Federal government managed to create the Interstate highway system after all.
    To see a grahic example of how states have mishandled their duties just witness the change in pavement conditions as you go from Nebraska to Colorado on I-76.
    Gerrymandering of districts has been practiced with equal effect by both parties, and is a great example of local/state political gymnastics in aid of National party politics.

I deplore this tactic, no matter which party practices it; but-how to get back to any sensible construct? Outlawing the tactic at this stage would cause big problems.

You can foment trust in your state government by voting intelligently and being a big-mouth about waste on the state level; it's much more effective than a letter to the Feds.
    If voters vote ignorantly or irresponsibly, they deserve what they get, i.e., crappy pavement.

Engaging the system on the state level works; I did it-I had state senators and reps calling me at home, at work, you name it-ironically, it also cost me my Civil Service job, as I pissed off former Governor John Engler.

The Interstate highway system is an example of proper Federal purview; however, I don't see a federal rep having the same degree of familiarity with a local project as a state rep-likewise I don't see you being as familiar with the federal rep as you might be with the state rep.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I realize this going back a ways, but I came recently across a study done by The Lancet (which is a medical journal). Rather than posting the entire thing, I'm just going to summarize the relevant points.

Most child prostitutes are exploited by local men, although some are abused by pedophiles and foreign tourists.

Estimates of child prostitutes and the top 4 offending countries (1 - 4):

India - 400,000 - 575,000
    Brazil - 100,000 - 500,000
    USA - 300,000
    Thailand and China tie for 4th - 200,000

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    J2k4,

You and Clocker have now totally lost all non US readers (probably).

I take it that Federal Government is responsable for all highways in USA?

In UK, granted a MUCH smaller country, Government is resposible for the A Road/Motorway system (equivalent of your interstates I believe) and local government is responsible for all other roads.

The end result being that local roads are usually crap, and major roads are always crap.

Not that this means anything to US citizens of course, but gives you an incite as to what will happen if Road maintainance goes local

As to Clinton:

He is perceived by most of the world to have been a great statesman and peacemaker (Northern Ireland, Middle East Peace Process (until Sharron tore it up that is)etc etc), with the added bonus of his personal life being comical.

Granted, I have no idea as to the results of his Domestic Policies (or indeed what they were)...but internationally, hugely respected.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@29 June 2003 - 09:21
    J2k4,

You and Clocker have now totally lost all non US readers (probably).

I take it that Federal Government is responsable for all highways in USA?

In UK, granted a MUCH smaller country, Government is resposible for the A Road/Motorway system (equivalent of your interstates I believe) and local government is responsible for all other roads.

The end result being that local roads are usually crap, and major roads are always crap.

Not that this means anything to US citizens of course, but gives you an incite as to what will happen if Road maintainance goes local

As to Clinton:

He is perceived by most of the world to have been a great statesman and peacemaker (Northern Ireland, Middle East Peace Process (until Sharron tore it up that is)etc etc), with the added bonus of his personal life being comical.

Granted, I have no idea as to the results of his Domestic Policies (or indeed what they were)...but internationally, hugely respected.
    Our highway system and it's auspices more-or-less reflect yours.

Clinton may have had some success re: the Irish situation, but the failure of his grand plan for the Mideast was a product of his half-baked, and indeed half-hearted efforts; he didn't provide proper stewardship for the process to work.

Sharon reacted to some late-developing demands and piquish behavior on Arafat's part that was not widely publicized do to the love affair the press had with Clinton and also the media's somewhat mis-guided urge to try to salvage a "peace".

I will, when I have time, try to provide more particulars.

Beyond that, I'm baffled as to foreign perceptions of Clinton's "wonderfulness".

Clocker and I should have started another thread.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345