Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Quagmire?

Originally posted by j2k4@2 July 2003 - 20:16
    Worry not, we'll let you know when the job is finis.
    Yeah right. You do that. I won't be holding my breath waiting.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Originally posted by slaphappy
    Yeah right. You do that. I won't be holding my breath waiting.
    Perhaps he can arrange an email triggered by a CNN news broadcast? Im sure our great-great grandchildren will want to know as soon as WMD are found.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss+2 July 2003 - 20:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (evilbagpuss &#064; 2 July 2003 - 20:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-slaphappy
    Yeah right. You do that. I won&#39;t be holding my breath waiting.
    Perhaps he can arrange an email triggered by a CNN news broadcast? Im sure our great-great grandchildren will want to know as soon as WMD are found. [/b][/quote]
    What is this.....CNN you speak of?

Is it something like the BBC?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Originally posted by j2k4

Ahh Im really glad you brought that up

They both produce news reports. The similarity stops there.

In UK law the BBC must be impartial. During the Falklands war Margaret Thatcher went mad because they werent being "patriotic" enough.

Is there a law in the US that states that CNN must be impartial?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    QUOTE (j2k4)

Ahh Im really glad you brought that up

Me, too.

They both produce news reports. The similarity stops there.

Agreed.

In UK law the BBC must be impartial. During the Falklands war Margaret Thatcher went mad because they werent being "patriotic" enough.

I hereby state the law fails to achieve it&#39;s intent.

Is there a law in the US that states that CNN must be impartial?

No, and if there were, it would be similarly ineffectual.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Originally posted by j2k4+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by EBP@
    In UK law the BBC must be impartial. During the Falklands war Margaret Thatcher went mad because they werent being "patriotic" enough
    I hereby state the law fails to achieve it&#39;s intent.
    [/b]

Are you going to offer any proof for that statement? I&#39;ve alluded to the Falklands war to prove my point. That was &#39;against&#39; the conservatives. Now look at the current situation with the BBC, they are accusing New Labour of "sexing up" the 2nd dossier on Iraq.

Perhaps you are right in respect that no-one can be 100% impartial, its impossible. But the BBC vs CNN?

<!--QuoteBegin-jools(pulp fiction)

ain&#39;t the same ballpark, ain&#39;t the same league, ain&#39;t even the same fuckin&#39; sport[/quote]

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Alright, enough&#33;

This bickering over who is the most impartial news organization is ridiculous.
    You two will never reach agreement, nor should you.

I would submit that without exception every news group in the world has been factually wrong several times about the events in Iraq. I offer the "looting of the National Museum " in Baghdad as an example. Everyone from the BBC to USA Today reported massive destruction and theft of Iraqi antiquities at the end of the &#39;official&#39; war. It now appears that most of the items feared lost were either moved for safekeeping by museum officials or hadn&#39;t even been in the museum since the first Gulf war in 1991. Undeniably looting occured, but it&#39;s prevalance was grotesquely overestimated on both sides of the Atlantic.

I think that we all tend to overestimate the credibility of news reportage based on our perception that new technology and &#39;embedded&#39; journalists make accuracy a foregone conclusion.
    I think that both things only lead to the faster and more widespread dissemination of rumours (spelling intentional to placate our sensitive UK readers).

Personally, both the BBC and CNN ( or, in j2&#39;s honor- Fox News) have lost my interest.
    I&#39;ll get my news from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
    At least he knows he&#39;s full of crap.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Nothing wrong with The Daily Show. I enjoy it myself.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456