Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peer Guardian False Security!

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Like a seatbelt may not stop you getting killed in a RTA, it reduces the risk.

Peergardian is one tool that can help reduce the risk...there is no 100% method.

As people have perceived a reduced risk, they are less likely to stop sharing, and so the network survives.

To just ignore tools that reduce risks, is merely being foolhardy.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Again everbody should stay up to date on the News. Your right, all the established sites do have fixed ip's which won't change because it would cost to much money. But do you think they would even use one ip thats on peer guardian to try to catch you?? As if they don't know about peer guardian. The R.I.A.A is claiming to be loosing billions of dollars a year because of us. "Even though almost all the stuff I download, I would of never went out and bought anyway so how they figure this I don't know" anyways they are serious they are teaming up with the F.B.I and they won't be using traditional methods. and its not hard to change your ip or is it expensive. There are programs which they are using which mask their true ip and change their ip every couple of seconds if you don't wnat to believe me, then don't. You can also just change your isp or use a new computer to get a different ip. They are not stupid and they will look just like a regular p2p user You will never know it is the R.I.A.A the F.B.I. or the guy next door. They now about peer guardian and it is not even the smallest prob for them. Don't be surprised if in the sharman Networks helps them to save themselves.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    If I offended anybody, me sorry . Last word of advice if you are still sure blocking 800 million computers will keep you safe then you should put thos ip's in a firewall not peer guardian as peer guardian only checks for connections that have already been made a firewall keeps them from ever connecting in the first place. Peer guardian only checks every 400 milliseconds which is plenty of time for the riaa to have already been in got an image of ur directories and be out before it even boots them off. Just thought the truth should be known.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    this could go on forever so i'll just stick to a few points

one, there are a finite number of ips- yes there are dynamic ips but show me proof that the majority of commerical hosts use them for u.s. businesses

two, there are sophisticated means of determining the ranges that anti p2p groups use

three, i personally have had several connections closed by pg from mpaa and overpeer ips (verified ranges beyond using whois searches) specifically when i was sharing movies as far as the mpaa and with overpeer pg was blocking me from dl bogus music files (and i was never notifies by my isp)

four, you are right that it's better to import the ips into a real firewall but not everyone has that option

five, if you use the recommended pg database there are nowhere near 800 million ips- currently there are 52.48 million and the list is currently being edited for duplicates so that number should go down significantly...

it's not about being offended or whatever it's about sticking to the facts- i'm a regular at another forum (ftc) and i'm seeing the same thing over there- someone saying stuff like "don't use peerguardian!" and "do you really think they use the ips in whois searches"- it's one thing to question something it's another to look into the facts...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by The_Verifier@29 June 2003 - 19:26
    But do you think they would even use one ip thats on peer guardian to try to catch you??

... anyways they are serious they are teaming up with the F.B.I and they won't be using traditional methods. and its not hard to change your ip or is it expensive. There are programs which they are using which mask their true ip and change their ip every couple of seconds if you don't wnat to believe me, then don't. You can also just change your isp or use a new computer to get a different ip. They are not stupid and they will look just like a regular p2p user You will never know it is the R.I.A.A the F.B.I. or the guy next door. They now about peer guardian and it is not even the smallest prob for them. Don't be surprised if in the sharman Networks helps them to save themselves.
    Yes -- Once they've paid lots of cash for the lines and the equipment to 'get to work', even if Peer Guardian makes them a little less successful it would be a bigger waste of their money (from their point of view) to NOT use 'known' ips. We're kidding ourselves if we think many people on Kazaa percent-wise are running Peer Guardian... and of them even fewer are regularly updating their block lists to keep the most relevant ones.

Making something a large-scale computing network operation (instead of home-users scale) also means it's harder to work from dynamic ip addresses. Even for me to change my LAN ip range requires manually changing properties on every computer I've got connected to my router and making router setting changes. This would be further compounded if my computers weren't all at one location. No doubt they've had "teething problems" with their search methods in the past because of similar issues.

P2P file sharing has an odd property: to work, it almost HAS to have a direct connection between To-From parties. This includes giving out real ip addresses. An indirect consequence is it can make privacy while doing so (ie:hiding your ip) difficult to impossible. Kazaa is even WORSE than most in that regard in that NATed users even with port-forwarding on are treated as firewalled with an unknown ip (found only via the supernode they're connected to.)

Proxy servers would cripple download/upload speeds and make connecting to other firewalled users _impossible_ on Kazaa, at least using Kazaa software. So that might limit who they can find to non-firewalled/non-NATed users -- or more heavily tilted towards 56k users.

If they make specialized software, they may run afoul of the DMCA and Kazaa's makers (because of the reverse-engineering laws they're breaking in SO many ways) AND will (by the nature of the workarounds needed to connect with most users) be easier to spot than typical 'firewalled' users. Their connection attempts may resemble (TCP packets) HTTP requests on Kazaa's ports, use UDP packets, and/or will have to connect THROUGH the supernode tree (showing up in LOTS of places which people running supernodes can track.)

The FBI was once called on to end the sale and consumption of alcohol in the US. THAT was too big a task for them too. File sharing makes that pale in comparison. For them to be even remotely effective, they'll have to use methods ANYONE who gives lip-service to freedom and privacy will have to openly denounce as tyranny or be a hypocrit. They'll have to do so much out in the open that it will be hard for people to just say it only affects criminals/no one they know. And the closer they get to zero-tolerance laws and enforcements, the worse it will look.

Lastly, some of us are very serious too. Peer Guardian is only 1 of many ways we are fighting back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12