Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work computer specs

dbmp's Avatar ubuntu <3 BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    I got a P200MhZ to my typing works It rules under Win98!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Yeah,
    I know how you feel, our school has Pentium II 397mhz with 128mb ram and a 3gb hard drive with windows 2000pro. So effin pathetic. And the school expects us to take care of things like printing and research in the 15 minutes before classes starts? Well, i timed it out and it took 8 minutes and 32 seconds to load up the desktop from the time i entered my ID and password, and it took 1minute and 4 seconds to open up a microsoft word document, and it took 19 seconds for it to find my USB disk (i had to turn the whole computer around because the USB ports are in the back.) oh yes, and we arent allowed to use any other media besides USB, and we absolutely NOT allowed to use google. So, with all that, 8minutes 55 seconds to even get started, leaving 6 minutes and 5 seconds to print or research. But look on the bright side, i get a nice morning jog to class.

The sad part is, 2 years ago the had blue and white PowerMac g3s with double the ram and 500mhz triple hard drive space, although hard drive space doesnt really matter because everything is stored on the network.
    Last edited by Tanner31593; 08-15-2007 at 02:39 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    can I curse? FUCK!
    The place I work at just got some new PCs and they had 2GB ram and core 2 duos (don't remember the model) but having core 2 duos for an office PC is good enough. It even had the radeon X1600.. what the fuck do they want us to do? play call of duty 2 while we're bored?!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I am always amazed at the fondness businesses seem to have for wringing every last erg of use out of PCs...certainly someone must realize how counterproductive it is.

Of course, there is a downside (at least for the workers) to the reverse scenario.
    A smart manager would provide you with the latest gee-whiz fast PC and then expect your productivity to increase proportionate to the computer's goodness.

Be careful what you wish for.
    I could do an equal amount of work in less time. I'm all for it.

You would think a company which made $38 billion last year wouldn't mind keeping a bit more up-to-date.

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    After my next upgrade Crabgirl will get my current computer and I will be taking her computer into work as my work PC is the slowest POS I've ever had to "use". Random freezes, random crashes, takes my entire coffee break to open a word document and the cup holder tray has a cd stuck in it.

The computer would, perhaps, be just about bareable if the "IT guy" wouldn't insist on installing so much useless software on it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I cant believe people are complaining about having 500 mhz machines. your doing word processing, spreadsheets, email and maybe some web browsing on them i bet. That is really all you need unless your doing something more processor intensive like image manipulation or video encoding.

we use a custom made java program at work for pay and personnel. It requires about 10 -15 mins to load properly. Not because the 600mhz machines we use are crap, its because the software itself is rubbish. It has a server version at our head office and we have the client version installed at our premises.
    for some odd reason the software grabs the whole table of hours and pay for the whole branch which means a few megabytes of data and sends it to us. Then the local version of the software decides what you can and cannot access so i can only use a small portion of all that data but it sends it all anyway. we have an isdn line setup as a vpn for our head office but it is also used for ordering and load planning so its used heavily sometimes. luckily only changes are sent so it doesn't take 15 mins to send all that data back.

word and excel documents load in about 15 - 20 seconds
    I can browse the internet through our adsl connection with no slow down at all
    outlook takes about 10 seconds to load.

If your machines really are as slow as you say chances our its network congestion, bad software, your domain server is overloaded or spy ware on the machine.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post

word and excel documents load in about 15 - 20 seconds
    I can browse the internet through our adsl connection with no slow down at all
    outlook takes about 10 seconds to load.

If your machines really are as slow as you say chances our its network congestion, bad software, your domain server is overloaded or spy ware on the machine.
    Our PCs are stripped bare. There is also no spy-ware or anything on the machines. Other than the internal web (intranet?), my work PC has never even visited an outside web page.

The 56K of RAM certainly isn't helping matters either.

How much RAM does your work PC have?

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    The 56K of RAM certainly isn't helping matters either.
    Actually, you have 128MB ram (Total Physical Memory 130608 KB) of which 5.6 MB (Available Physical Memory 5620 KB) (not 56K) was free at the time you looked.

What's really amazing is the number of places that buy the minimum specification systems, then install some of the most resource hungry applications such as Microsoft Office or Adobe Acrobat. And then complain about the performance.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    They have 256mb of ram, granted 128mb isnt much but another 128 and your machine would be useable easily.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    My school has p3 900mhz machines w/ 256mb ram, 20gb harddrives w/ over 200gb of storage on the network server. That's the specs for comps in the library, about 30 of them.

Then in the computer lab (for them computer science ppl), they have p4 2.6ghz 1gb ram 60gb comps, so not bad with that kind of specs on school comps. Heck we even had a SOF2 lanparty on these comps (with intel "extreme" graphix) a few times at lunchtime throughout the semester
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast