Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: foul language

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    I do have to think about language in a work context especially if dealing with business associates or foreign military types. If I am simply trying to balance some books the air can turn incendiary.
    Try as I might, I cannot imagine anyone in your company saying, "Oh, why don't you mind your manners, Les."

Incendiary air while totting up, though?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

So, then, the pleasure of your company involves/requires the occasional wince, eh?

What's the upside to such self-indulgence?

Hell, I'm as intent as anyone on being "myself", but I actively avoid behavior or language designed to elicit wincing, cringing, or embarrassment, as it doesn't wear well.
    I don't do it to elicit any kind of response. If people respond that way that's a neurosis that they will either have to deal with in their own time or try to live with. It's a stupid thing to get upset about and I'm not about to tailor-make my conversation to suit the over-sensitive.
    Then I apologize for misapprehending your intent in speaking plainly.

I should have said that, if one considers him or herself to be proudly plain-spoken, he or she should also be possessed of the ability to recognize when situations call for a lighter touch, and speak accordingly, as when (for instance) discussing the negative aspects of chemotherapy in the presence of someone whose mother or brother or favorite old Auntie may coincidentally be undergoing same across town.

I'm sure you would never be so insensitive.

Welcome to the board, BTW-
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Hello Squeamy

I see you have dipped into the Drawing Room

Talking of language my daughter occasionally frequents the Lounge and she has a choice turn of phrase

I do have to think about language in a work context especially if dealing with business associates or foreign military types. If I am simply trying to balance some books the air can turn incendiary.
    Hello 'Biggles'

I'll have to dip into the lounge too then.

I find swearing sometimes helps.....like for instance when you have the painters in and they've filled up the goods lift with crap . It's funny though.....men seem to like the swearing. I'm not sure why that is.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73

Then I apologize for misapprehending your intent in speaking plainly.

I should have said that, if one considers him or herself to be proudly plain-spoken, he or she should also be possessed of the ability to recognize when situations call for a lighter touch, and speak accordingly, as when (for instance) discussing the negative aspects of chemotherapy in the presence of someone whose mother or brother or favorite old Auntie may coincidentally be undergoing same across town.

I'm sure you would never be so insensitive.

Welcome to the board, BTW-
    No apologies needed, it does sound a bit that way from how I've written it.

I'm afraid that no, I don't really have a light touch. In fact I recently told someone at work that I didn't understand why people with depression don't just shut up about it and get on with it without trying to make the rest of us 'understand'......then found out her mother is a schizophrenic and she is a manic depressive.

On the upside she never talks to me about any of it now .

Thank you for the welcome .

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

As aside btw, define a hypocrite.

Now, I guess you are cool with it but I am not cool with my kid calling someone a bitch ass ho or when frustrated, saying, "Fuck this shit, gawdamnit!"

I can't see how anyone on here would agree with you. I can just imagine you walking into a room smoking your last little bit o' weed and saying to your kid, "Hey I heard you been fuckin' up in school."

I think you can probably look up the word 'hypocrisy' in any good dictionary .

No, I probably wouldn't be happy with my kid saying the things you mentioned, but the first because they're Americanisms which would sound pretty silly in a suburb in England, the second one because swearing is best used sparingly otherwise it becomes meaningless. Swearing shouldn't be used as a substitute for a decent vocabulary.

And I've never done drugs of any kid except for alcohol.....I can't stand potheads.
    No I think you need to look it up. You don't have to call someone a hypocrite to call someone a hypocrite. I didn't say hypocrisy. You'll find that if you look up the word, however, that they are related.

You argue semantics regarding Americanisms. Substitute some fucked up curse words from bratland then.

It's nice that you haven't done drugs of any kid besides the alki....

Been watching the movie I Come In Peace?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75

That's cool. You don't bite your tongue for anyone.

For other folk, things like their job, children, other relatives like their elders, and the general public make them watch they say.

You must make the milliyons or you are a hobo.

It would just be dandy for my kid to curse like Eazy-E and when confronted by me she says, "Shit daddy, it's just the English language. Get a fucking grip."

Maybe she'd still have a tooth left.
    No, I'm a research technician. I go to work wearing jeans and a t-shirt too.....read it and weep .

If any kid told me to get a grip they'd be lucky to have a tooth left regardless of the swearing.
    I'm a tech as well for the phone company. High-speed data, beeeotch.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76

So, then, the pleasure of your company involves/requires the occasional wince, eh?

What's the upside to such self-indulgence?

Hell, I'm as intent as anyone on being "myself", but I actively avoid behavior or language designed to elicit wincing, cringing, or embarrassment, as it doesn't wear well.
    I don't do it to elicit any kind of response. If people respond that way that's a neurosis that they will either have to deal with in their own time or try to live with. It's a stupid thing to get upset about and I'm not about to tailor-make my conversation to suit the over-sensitive.
    Then you are in a very small minority like rich people.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    No I think you need to look it up. You don't have to call someone a hypocrite to call someone a hypocrite. I didn't say hypocrisy. You'll find that if you look up the word, however, that they are related.

You argue semantics regarding Americanisms. Substitute some fucked up curse words from bratland then.

It's nice that you haven't done drugs of any kid besides the alki....

Been watching the movie I Come In Peace?
    I'm not sure what any of that means.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #78
    I'm a tech as well for the phone company. High-speed data, beeeotch.
    Oooooo, get you!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #79

Then you are in a very small minority like rich people.
    Aw, thanks! You're a sweetheart!

10. The Drawing Room   -   #80
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I recently told someone at work that I didn't understand why people with depression don't just shut up about it and get on with it without trying to make the rest of us 'understand'......then found out her mother is a schizophrenic and she is a manic depressive.
    Something similar:

Every day I find myself conversing at length with people over wide-ranging topics, and happened into a chat the other day with a fellow who was about to change jobs for a significantly more friendly insurance situation, for which he was especially thankful, owing to his own medication regimen.

I and my wife both have a moderate drug schedule, so I nonchalantly asked what drugs he was taking, and for what ailment.

He replied he was a paranoid schizophrenic with a variety of comingling secondary neuroses, which he rattled off so quickly I got the impression he'd practiced just for me.

I was almost mortified before I realized he hadn't taken any offense at all, and we commenced to have a very informative conversation about mental illness.

The upshot is, I guess, a lack of inhibition is sometimes of singular benefit.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast