Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Invented The Internet?

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Illuminati was right in my opinion, for the most part. I think it was invented as a means for communication, maybe for internal secure military communication at first, but evolved into something else. Namely, a way for continents to communicate with each other in the event of a nuclear war. If the fiber optic cables are buried in the sea... so it goes.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Ex-member
    Some people just won't follow a link will they?

Here's what's on the site i posted a link to earlier...

Late 60s & Early 70s - Government funding through U. S. Advanced Research Projects Agency created "ARPANET" to develop a communications network for research & military R&D.

1980-1983 - ARPANET interconnected all of the major research and educational networks by establishing a common communications protocol. This network is know today as the "Backbone" of the Internet.

Mid 80s - The National Science Foundation established several supercomputers centers for education and research purposes. They also added significantly to the network "backbone". Limited Commercial traffic was first allowed on the Internet.

1989 to 1991 - Tim Berners-Lee of CERN (a physics particle accelerator laboratory) in Geneva began to develop a simpler method to transfer information. The group developed the concept of hyperlinks within documents to quickly access related information. The project was dubbed the "WWW Project" and is the basis for the HTML Language used in today's Net Browsers. The World Wide Web then is a method of accessing world wide information using these techniques innovated at CERN. We believe that the popularity and growth of the Internet is largely due to this development.

1993 - The National Science Foundation awarded five year agreements to three companies to manage this "Internet". Network Solutions, AT&T and General Atomics were contracted to jointly manage the Internet through an organization called InterNIC (Internal Network Information Center). There now are no restrictions placed on Internet access for commercial companies.

Today - Millions of people have access to the Internet and thousands of companies are already on the Internet along with the educational and research centers. The commercial sector has already surpassed all other groups for host sites and new uses for the Internet are continually being innovated and implemented.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Knowledge is Power
    As long as we're on the subject...

What's a link?

4. Lounge   -   #34

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Knowledge is Power
    Nothing...

So I suppose it is an underlined text.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Nimdock@3 July 2003 - 14:25
    Nothing...

What are you talking about.

Click it.

żeres estupido o algo?

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Knowledge is Power
    Oh... now it works...

La proxima vez usare mis tags de sarcasmo...

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Originally posted by Nimdock@3 July 2003 - 13:25
    Nothing...

try again, actually you have a link under your own avatar!!

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Knowledge is Power
    Originally posted by denis123@3 July 2003 - 09:32
    try again, actually you have a link under your own avatar!!
    Actually under my avatar all I have is knowledge...

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Nimdock@3 July 2003 - 14:31
    Oh... now it works...

La proxima vez usare mis tags de sarcasmo...
    soltando la carcajada

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast