Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partion For Programs.. Super Speed!

TClite's Avatar Poster
    If you really want a performance boost, just byy 1GB of RAM and turn off the swap file.
    having an amount of ram that doesnt require a swap file is theoretically correct, and 1GB would be that, but its not a very good idea to do it, dont turn of the swap file, some programs still use it despite excess ram

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Well, firstly, i'd give Windows at least 5 GB if it was to go onto a separate partition... i mean, with Windows XP Pro you just can't do with less than that... plus you'll have the swap file.

Also, it would probably be a better idea to keep programs that work with Windows stuff on the same partition as Windows because that would give the program the option to immediately place the file somewhere else. However, in that case you'll need to defragment more often.

Basically, i suggest leaving Windows + program files on one partition, say, 15 GB, and defragment when you have nothing better to do.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Btw, this would probably help keep a virus that got past (allmighty) Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro (latest updates) to not spread on your whole hd.
    Yeah I got a virus once (while norton was accidently turned off) that infected .exe files (hllp handy or something) and it found it's way to my second HDD.

I was able to delete the exe's that were infected (what a nightmare) with it and I think that maybe, just maybe the second drive slowed it down some.
    But I'm not sure if that assumption is theoretically correct.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Seperate HDs/partitions do not equal disconnected computers, people. Think about it... Can you copy a file from one HD/partition to another without hassle? Yes. Can you run a program that can access another HD/partition without hassle? Yes. Can the OS itself access all HDs/partitions without hassle? Yes.

So, what makes you think a virus would be any different?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    It's not so much the format of your partitions that would protect you from a virus, it's the directory names and drive letters themselves that will stop a poorly written virus. If you don't have a C:\windows or D:\windows directory , then a virus that attaches or installs itself specifically to those folders or directories can't execute. Even if you can't physically change the partition letter, at least change the default "windows" to something more creative. All windows OS's that I'm familiar with allow this. You have the opion t install, just stop and look at it. Try c:\BOB or c:\windos , it really doesn't matter to windows. If you get sloppy and someone accesses your computer, it's going to be a lot harder to guess the windows directory name this way.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    on my system i have an 18.5gig physical drive, slipt it into two, took 15gigs for downloads music, my documents etc and the rest is windows and program files.
    yeah, and as paul said, you would only notice the performance if they were on seperate physical drives, not partitions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12