Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bandwidth disparity and maintaining ratios.

AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanz™ View Post
    There is no such thing as leeching mode. Switch the screen off? Turn everything else off and try and find ways to decrease processer usage?
    Seeding requires almost none computing power so CPU will consume smth around 40W (Intel Cores require around 20-30W at idle) and video card (which consumes the most power in modern PC) will be powered off because of no keyboard/mouse activity. HDDs power consumption is laughable.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nuvab|tch View Post

I mean if a movie is typically 4+ Gigs, it could take me a week? or month?!!? to upload it back AND what if there weren't many peers/downloaders wanting to get the movie from me?

WELL ONE SUGGESTION IS TO FORK OUT 30 BUCKS FOR A DIVX ENABLED DVD PLAYER AT WALMART SO YOU DONT HAVE TO DL THE 4GB DVDR JUST TO WATCH A MOVIE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM. THIS WAY YOU ONLY DL 700MB AT A TIME FOR A MOVIE AND CAN FIT LIKE 5 MOVIES ON ONE DVD

JUST A THOUGHT.....

YOU CAN ALSO DONATE TO SITES. ALOT OF SITES HAVE DONATION PROMOS WHERE THEY GIVE AS MUCH AS 250GB JUST FOR 15 DOLLAR DONATE (BITSOUP)

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Don't forget to save a couple of nickels to buy a replacement caps lock key, too. You see what happens when you don't...

/on-topic: Pay2leech ("buying" buffer on sites) is close to the most idiotic idea there is. Why on earth would you pay good money to a site for a bit of DL credit when you could use that same amout of cash on an unlimited DL usenet account and get all the same stuff, much much faster, all month?

And not have to worry about seeding back... Giganews FTW!

I think just about the only excuse for P2L is where you get in *way* over your head on a tracker with really exclusive content (re: none of the 0-day trackers, maybe something like KG, MMA-tracker or something) that you're hard pressed to find elsewhere and need a way out. But then, even an ounce of prevention will avoid that problem as many good "strategy" posts in this thread address.

Last edited by kaoblanco; 09-07-2007 at 06:50 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    s0nuvab|tch's Avatar Poster
    Thanks again for the input guys.

@kooftspc11, you must have missed my reply earlier, I don't want compressed, CRAP quality video. Please pay attention.
    (and SHOUTING IS NOT NECESSARY EITHER.)

To all concerned about my choice of an example in my opening post, please forget that I said anything about a movie! It could be any LARGE file download, e.g. 10GB's worth of eBooks.

I've been reading up on 'maintaining ratios' and it seems my initial worries were ill founded. Despite the bandwidth disparity, I really don't think I should have much trouble.
    I just need to get my feet wet and give it a try.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    WELL ONE SUGGESTION IS TO FORK OUT 30 BUCKS FOR A DIVX ENABLED DVD PLAYER AT WALMART SO YOU DONT HAVE TO DL THE 4GB DVDR JUST TO WATCH A MOVIE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM. THIS WAY YOU ONLY DL 700MB AT A TIME FOR A MOVIE AND CAN FIT LIKE 5 MOVIES ON ONE DVD
    Your right. 700MB divx rips are, in my experience, just as high in quality as a 4GB iso - at least to the naked eye. In s0nuvab|tch's case, it would be more reasonable to just stick with the divx rips.

@kooftspc11, you must have missed my reply earlier, I don't want compressed, CRAP quality video. Please pay attention.
    That's an exaggeration. The reason axxo prefers divx (he uploads many on public trackers) is because there really is not observable quality loss when compressing a dvd.

There is another option, however. You could get the Hockney releases on demonoid, which are in .bin/.cue format. There are also small enough to fit on a CD. I personally have never tried them, but Hockney claims that .bin/.cue has a higher quality than divx rips when played on from a CD. However, when played from a computer, divx is superior, so your choice of which really depends on how and where you are going to play your movies.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    s0nuvab|tch's Avatar Poster
    Thanks for adding your .02 Brenya, but all the 700Mb movie rips I ever downloaded looked like crap once I burned them and tried watching them on my TV.

What I don't know is whether they were CRAP to start with ?
    or whether I f*cked them up trying to burn them?

I never watch movies on my computer so it's a big deal to me to have a source that is easy to burn and has DVD quality.
    I admitted earlier that I'm a n00b when it comes to video, but it's something I'm seriously trying to get good/better at.
    All my previous skills centered around using Nero, but I've long since kicked that bloated crap to the curb!
    In Nero's defense, it was rather simple and worked decent/OK when it worked, but I need batter results.
    I did notice a good looking tutorial in the help section that I plan on giving a try once I get some other projects out of the way.

I still fail to see how compressing/encoding?/transcoding? 4.3 GBs of video down to 700MBs is NOT going to seriously effect quality. I have issues with compressed music too. I would always prefer the original source material and then I can do with it what I please. Space is not an issue with HDDs being so cheap. Hell, my external portable USB drive is a 750GB Seagate 7200.10.
    and my rig has 2 x 750GB 7200.10 in RAID and a 160GB Raptor for my C:\ drive. I'll be building a file server before too long. lol Quality man! that's what I'm after. Bollocks to digital noise and lack of fidelity.
    You youngsters have let those iPods ruin your hearing.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    game1283's Avatar "ǝuo ǝɥʇ" BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7

Arrow

First of all, some sites are almost impossible to survive on unless you've bought a fast seedbox eg. 10/100mbit. Sites such as BitmeTV/FTN/SCT etc...
    I'm a member of bitmetv and ftn, I have a much slower speed than you, I use the cheapest connection in my area, still I am able to upload and maintain ratio

though, I don't use ScT(not a member)

peace

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    I would always prefer the original source material and then I can do with it what I please. Space is not an issue with HDDs being so cheap. Hell, my external portable USB drive is a 750GB Seagate 7200.10.
    and my rig has 2 x 750GB 7200.10 in RAID and a 160GB Raptor for my C:\ drive. I'll be building a file server before too long. lol Quality man! that's what I'm after. Bollocks to digital noise and lack of fidelity.
    I assume you won't fork out the cash and the time to download and burn a 35 GB Blueray image, so you have your limits when you want to download the copy of a movie with the highest quality. Then again, maybe you will. I have limits as well, and they are at the divx level, what with my little laptop and my 500GB XHDD that I affectionately call "My Archive". But what I'm trying to say is that I guess I was just trying to justify my situation by saying that getting divx rips isn't such a big deal. What I said before was just second-hand knowledge anyway, so I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Brenya; 09-08-2007 at 03:13 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    I would always prefer the original source material and then I can do with it what I please. Space is not an issue with HDDs being so cheap. Hell, my external portable USB drive is a 750GB Seagate 7200.10.
    I assume you won't fork out the cash and the time to download and burn a 35 GB Blueray image, so you have your limits when you want to download the copy of a movie with the highest quality. Then again, maybe you will. I have limits as well, and they are at the divx level, what with my little laptop and my 500GB XHDD that I affectionately call "My Archive". But what I'm trying to say is that I guess I was just trying to justify my situation by saying that getting divx rips isn't such a big deal. What I said before was just second-hand knowledge anyway, so I could be wrong.

great point about the blue ray. I have the $34 magnavox divx/xvid player and use it to watch all of my divx/xvid movies. I have never seen enough of a compromise in quality to make me want to start burning dvdr instead...in fact i have never seen much difference in quality at all

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by game1283 View Post
    First of all, some sites are almost impossible to survive on unless you've bought a fast seedbox eg. 10/100mbit. Sites such as BitmeTV/FTN/SCT etc...
    I'm a member of bitmetv and ftn, I have a much slower speed than you, I use the cheapest connection in my area, still I am able to upload and maintain ratio

though, I don't use ScT(not a member)

peace
    I commend you, brother. May you provide hope for us all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast