Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: donate and you shall receive

Poster
    I don't think they call it a donation just for the legality; it's just the most accurate description of what's going on. You pay us money which goes to keep the site running, and to show appreciation, we'll give you gigs/status/invites.

Now the question is, if a person owns the servers, does it matter if he's on staff.php

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    xJohnxSmithx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbytes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xJohnxSmithx View Post
    I have a great list of trackers that don't force p2l with crazy fast seedboxes so nobody can seedback enough so they have to pay. This is the new trap out there from Greedy tracker owners. There are many great trackers out there that you can seedback and be known as a valued member. They all make their monthly costs from people who don't want to seedback and would rather "donate", but at least they have the choice, and from happy users who can afford to support their favorite trackers.

If you want a list of some great trackers PM me.
    Bit torrent communities were built to share.

rarity is for posers. Content and ease of use is the key to any good relationship.

HAHA You have no clue.

You think tracker owners and tracker staff get uploaders to help screw your ratio? if so then your nutts. We get them so people like you can get your files as fast as you can download them, many people are all about the speed. We can not control what members have like seed box and or fast home lines.

So before you open your pie hole you should get and know all the facts before ever posting, and or maybe start your own tracker and show everyone they are wrong.

Wild

Damn, I hit a nerve with you,,,,hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Thought I would chime in and give my thoughts and possibly a few facts on this topic. I'll try to make this as clean as possible as I have no intention to bash any site or anything of that sort.

Before I reply to this, just wanna say I <3 u wild.
    With that being said, having gone to college for a business degree and such I have a keen insight on financial knowledge and the like. My view on what you said is simple. Donations are there to "help" run the site, not to fund it. If you cannot fund the server on your own then you're going to be walking on thin ice every month hoping your users/clients are kind enough to continue giving/supporting you to the full extent. Most of these sites that follow the "please give us money so we can stay up" route are taking a huge risk and personally I would never invest in such a place because it's a gamble. If you can't afford to run YOUR site with YOUR money, you're nothing but a begger hoping to get enough money off the street to support your day. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion, others will no doubt see it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    i thought they called it donations because site like this could get in trouble if they were given money for anything other than a "donation". we all know they're selling UL credit or vip or something for the money but im pretty sure its much safer legally to just call it all a "donation".
    You nailed it right on the money regarding why most sites call it a donation. However, in a legal aspect, it's just false security. You could call it a WinkyDink for all the legal system cares. It's still a transaction, the name isn't important.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Green_Thumb View Post
    So Polarbear your saying if I donate to United Way and they give me a t-shirt i am really just buying a shirt from them and not donating....wrong.
    Actually yes. It's no different than say for example, buying a painting at an auction and all proceeds go to charity. You still purchased the shirt, however the money is then donated. In p2l site situations, they're just donating the money to themselves. Main difference between the two, purchasing a shirt from United Way that you'll probably never wear is gong to a good cause, donating to steal copyright material from corporations isn't.

On a side note. I notice some sites have massive user agreements that resemble legal agreements. Don't make yourselves look silly. A lot more goes into a legal agreement than just pasting some words onto a web page. If you really think that's going to save you from anything you're sadly wrong. For example, I couldn't just put "you agree to send me $5,000 by joining this site" and expect to be able to take it to court and win.
    Well put
    Last edited by xJohnxSmithx; 10-09-2007 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I always disliked TL for this...you pay a 3 month subscription fee for 3 months of not getting banned for ratio or hit&run.
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    xJohnxSmithx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    TL is very easy to seedback. There is no need to p2l there. The option is there for people who want to do so. There is no preasure from them to p2l.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    There's no need to p2l anywhere if you aren't a noob at torrents =\
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Quote Originally Posted by chillincool View Post
    There's no need to p2l anywhere if you aren't a noob at torrents =\
    That's definitely true, I still don't see the problem with this donating stuff... but I think if they have donating for GB's then they should enforce hit n run rules... no one likes leechers, but not everyone who donates for GBs leeches, and they wouldn't even need the extra.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    my 2cents here.

When i first started blackcats 5 years ago or so, i ran it from my home PC on a 25kbs line, the pc was a sony vaio laptop, 500mhz pent 3 11gig hdd 8meg gfx, and it was my main PC as well, so i used to rip, rar, download, unrar etc on it, i also used to seed as if i didnt do it who would.

and it didnt cost me a penny, mind you i didnt receive a penny in donations for over 2 years, but it was a public BNBT tracker.

by the time 2 years was up, i was addicted, and needed something else, i was sick of the leechers, so went and grabbed tbdev, installed it, and as you can imagine, my pc struggled immensly.

went to a shared server in sweden, again though, 2000 peers would crash the thing, so saved up the cash (from my own funds, and btw im unemployed) and got a dedi server in Hong kong.

that handles things a lot better, but still struggled with 11,000 peers on it.

so moved to where we are now, with 3 very good servers, 2 have 8ig ram 1 has 16gig ram, and they cost an arm and a leg to run, which i could never afford on my unemployment benefit, i couldnt even afford it if i had a full time job.

all im trying to say here is, i started out small and on the cheap, got addicted, and moved up gradually. this is what usually leads to sites these days failing. the owner can afford 1-2 months of the dedicated server, so he rents it, and hopes for donations to cover the cost, and obviously the members to come as well. but if they dont he has no option but to close. but the way i done it i already had the user base from each step, yes it was still a risk, but quite luckily it paid off.

Now onto that useragreement.

it actually comes with the TBdev tracker software, all we done with it was changed every referance to torrentbytes to blackcats. i actually read some of it the other day for the first time, and im like ummm no we dont do that, or that, and we definately dont do that, but its that long winded, and wrote like a lawyer would write it, im not touching the thing.

(sorry for rambling on, but once i start a post, it can go on and on a bit)

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Sexeh BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Now onto that useragreement.

it actually comes with the TBdev tracker software, all we done with it was changed every referance to torrentbytes to blackcats. i actually read some of it the other day for the first time, and im like ummm no we dont do that, or that, and we definately dont do that, but its that long winded, and wrote like a lawyer would write it, im not touching the thing.

(sorry for rambling on, but once i start a post, it can go on and on a bit)
    hehe, yea I know it does I was just saying that it really does no good, and some sites have even more insane user agreements that look like they were copied from amazon.com or something
    Do not pm me for invites. At the moment I will not be participating here in that regard. I will ignore your pm.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    YO, WHat Up "B"

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    All qualms aside though, i've donated to every tracker I use besides TL, and I refuse to "donate" to them.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast