Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should major sites alow invites trading?

Elite BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by silhoutte View Post
    So would they be 'major sites' ever if they allow invite trading?
    how about a non stop expanding on verified users base, in some point it will end and what? open signups to all?

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    sperm's Avatar lol BT Rep: +1
    no, though it would be nice if they relaxed the rules on giving invites to people you may not know...

i prefer bitmes rules...
    Quote Originally Posted by bitme rules
    If you have surplus invites, look for opportunities to use a few of them. Try some other member trackers where you participate. Look for good members who have been there a while (4-6 months or more) and who upload quality shares, post worthwhile comments, and have good share ratios (the higher the better). It's easy enough to spot good candidates once you start looking.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    rvt's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    @SliDer5: Some problems with an infinately expanding number of users.
    Unless the sysop knows how to scale outwards, it requires an ever increasing amount of processor, memory and bandwidth in one place. Server maintenance then becomes at least a part time job, one which many people think should be unpaid.
    Covering the cost of the servers also becomes a challenge.

The only way any site will expand infinately is with a revenue coming in (think P2L etc) to cover the servers, and enough to cover wages for someone handling the technical side.
    Anything else is an unpaid volunteer/amateur job, and should not be expected to perform like any of the massive members only sites.

As to the original question, it's a bit moot. Sites will set their own rules as they please, no discussion is likely to change it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by daveed View Post
    no, though it would be nice if they relaxed the rules on giving invites to people you may not know...

i prefer bitmes rules...
    Quote Originally Posted by bitme rules
    If you have surplus invites, look for opportunities to use a few of them. Try some other member trackers where you participate. Look for good members who have been there a while (4-6 months or more) and who upload quality shares, post worthwhile comments, and have good share ratios (the higher the better). It's easy enough to spot good candidates once you start looking.
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by rvt View Post
    @SliDer5: Some problems with an infinately expanding number of users.
    Unless the sysop knows how to scale outwards, it requires an ever increasing amount of processor, memory and bandwidth in one place. Server maintenance then becomes at least a part time job, one which many people think should be unpaid.
    Covering the cost of the servers also becomes a challenge.

The only way any site will expand infinately is with a revenue coming in (think P2L etc) to cover the servers, and enough to cover wages for someone handling the technical side.
    Anything else is an unpaid volunteer/amateur job, and should not be expected to perform like any of the massive members only sites.

As to the original question, it's a bit moot. Sites will set their own rules as they please, no discussion is likely to change it.
    you right, but the servers today pretty powerful and the costs meet themselves, for my opinion a bit of relaxation of the rules will not cause any damage.
    By the the way any site in some point looses some users, so it's kinda exchange.
    Last edited by SliDer5; 10-12-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    No matter how much you think you know someone that doesn't mean anything. You have to take a chance with invite giving or whatever you want to call it and hope they have respect for the BT world and the invite system.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    thejosher's Avatar I'm Josh! BT Rep: +4
    It'd be nice if more sites allowed invite trading (i.e. I give invite for site x, get site y in return).. but I don't agree with account trading, etc...

Not really a big deal for me.

I help my friends out when I can and they do the same for me so it's all good.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by briand5379 View Post
    No matter how much you think you know someone that doesn't mean anything. You have to take a chance with invite giving or whatever you want to call it and hope they have respect for the BT world and the invite system.
    agreed, but open signups more dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by thejosher View Post
    It'd be nice if more sites allowed invite trading (i.e. I give invite for site x, get site y in return).. but I don't agree with account trading, etc...

Not really a big deal for me.

I help my friends out when I can and they do the same for me so it's all good.
    don't agree with account trading too.
    Last edited by SliDer5; 10-12-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I don't think I agree with allowing invite trading on the sites, although I don't think people are bad for doing it... maybe if people were less careless when they traded.. asked for stats, why they want the site, asked if they've ever been on the site before etc.

I do think some sites should be a little more relaxed about letting people give invites away. If you "ideally" only gave invites away to your friends, some people would never have a chance at getting into a site. I don't think to get into SCC, TL, TDC etc you should have to be start talking to a stranger online and make them develop trust for you in order to get an invite. I don't mind talking to people online, but I know, not everyone wants to make friends on the internet. However higher sites like FTN, where the biggest difference with the site is the community, you should have to develop some sort of reputation, where someone trusts you enough to invite you...

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    no not a good idea

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    F3n1x's Avatar 0x34a BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm new but i know a thing if the rules say no its bcz they want that you invite you friends and not trade the invites.

Give them to your friends free and receive, and make friends here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast