Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Networking 2 Pc's Together With Different Os's

Ask Him

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    heh.. like a married couple.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Night, im still not happy with you, so lets leve it like that,

Wizz, signing out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster

Aaaanyway... If you want the Win98 machine to be able to grab files from the WinXp machine through filesharing, you&#39;ll need to do a little something extra.

First, you&#39;ll need to create a normal user account on the XP machine. Then, you&#39;ll need to set 98 up for "Network Logon" and logon on as the account you just created on the XP machine.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Yeah, it should work fine. I&#39;m networked to a Windows 98 OS right now.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@11 July 2003 - 22:39

Aaaanyway... If you want the Win98 machine to be able to grab files from the WinXp machine through filesharing, you&#39;ll need to do a little something extra.

First, you&#39;ll need to create a normal user account on the XP machine. Then, you&#39;ll need to set 98 up for "Network Logon" and logon on as the account you just created on the XP machine.
    Im pretty sure you don&#39;t need to do this.

I have a wireless network at my house. My computer is directly connected to my wireless router and a laptop running 98se and a desktop running XP are wirelessly connected. Just set them up to be in the same workgroup. If you wanna share files on any of the computers just right click on a folder and enable sharing. There are only some problems with this. 98 cannot read all of the file names the XP can so you need to be carefull when naming shared folders, printers and computers. I know that XP home will worn you if that name is incompatable with 98 but im not sure if XP pro does.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    ok, but ill still be able to surf the net on both at the same time?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    yes but other programs that use the internet may not work right. You need to find put what ports a program uses, find out if its UDP or TCP and enable packet forwarding to the right computer. Two computers on your nework cannot share the same port. All I did was forward all the ports I needed to my self becuase all the other 2 computers did was surf the net.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@12 July 2003 - 06:25
    Im pretty sure you don&#39;t need to do this.
    Well, I&#39;m thinking WinXP Home will allow it, because the filesharing method it uses is relatively insecure (anyone can connect as "guest"), but if you disable "Simple Filesharing" on XP Pro, you have to use the method I described.

I know my friend and I had a hell of time trying to figure out why his Win98SE machine couldn&#39;t connect to his Win2k machine. I figure WinXP would be the same.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    If u network ur computers (and then do internet connection sharing) u&#39;ll need to copy netbios from your xp cd onto your xp computer cos its not automatically installed anymore and win98 still needs it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12