Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Laptop Manufacturer

$1300 from Dell Outlet get you:

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
    Inspiron 5100 (System Identifier 0118449Z)
    Dell Inspiron 5100 Notebook: Intel® Pentium®4 Processor, 2.8GHz, 533MHz Front Side Bus, 15 XGA Display

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Price $1,457.00
    Promotion Discount ($175.00)
    Discounted Price $1,282.00

Memory: 384 MB, 266MHz SDRAM(2 DIMMs)
    Floppy Drive: 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
    Hard Disk Drive: 30 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
    Video: 32MB ATI Mobility M4? 3D Video, 4X AGP
    NoteBook Screen: 15 inch XGA Notebook Screen
    Modem: Internal Modem
    Network Interface Card: Internal NIC
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home
    CD Read-Write Drive: 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
    Software: Software
    WordPerfect Productivity Suite 10.0
    Dell Support 2.0 Software
    DVD Software
    AOL 8.0 ISP Software
    Dell SecurityCenter by McAfee, 90-day introductory offer
    Music Match 7.1 Software
    Dell Picture Studio, Paint Shop Pro Edition
    Quicken 2002 Software
    Software
    Software
    AOL 8.0 ISP Software
    Software
    Britannica Software
    DPS Image Expert Standard Software
    Dell Support 2.0
    Misc: Shipping Material
    Shipping Material
    Standard Keyboard
    Miscellaneous
    Miscellaneous
    Nylon Carrying Case
    12 Cell Battery

Unistall all of that crap software immediately! Then you have a nice chip, but a power hog. You might want to buy a (few) extra batteries!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    I will continue my Dell Rant, just becuause I want to empasize a particular point.

Have you ever seen a Dell inside of a retail store? No. Why? Because they do not depend on retail style marketing to sell computers. What sells computers? Quality, reliability, and, most of all, price$. You see your buddy's computer and you want one just like it (or better). And who do you think pays for the costs of shipping the computers to the retail store, the labor of the retail store employees, etc, etc? The uniformed consumer who buys a computer at a retail store who does not notice that he or she is getting single channel ram goes home with much less than they could get from Dell from their hard earned dollar.

If you do some simple comparison shopping, you will see that Dell is the cheapest in the entire world and they are among the forerunners in using the latest available technologies implement them as soon as they are available. Most computer manufacturers never integrated Rambus ram into their mainstream computer because it affected their bottom line, when, belive it or not, you could always find a cheaper Dell with Rambus Dynamic RAM then those crappy single channel DDR Intel systems from any other manfacturer. And if you noticed or not, Dell implemented Dual Channel DDR as soon as it hit market as well as integrating the Intel i875P chipset with Performance Acceleration Technology into mainstream affordable solutions (hey, I even got one, and I definately sound like a mainstream consumer, eh, lol)...

I have to admit that I have heard of television advertisments for Dell but I cant say that I have ever seen one because I never watch TV. I am way too busy with several hours of homework every day. I take school very very seriously because it opens doors. I am very interested in technology and I can say that the advance of computer science has advanced our species to a greater degree than any other single science. Cheers to the klite forum members. B)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12