Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abuse Notice From Isp...

If they send you an e-mail - comcast that is - go here

http://eff.org/share/

There is a link there to click if you get an e-mail - supeona - etc. These are the people most heavily engaged in the fight against the RIAA.

Jesus this is scary shite.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    imported_dr_gibberish
    @ Switeck Thanks for that incredibly detailed reply. I have to say it is reading a lot of your earlier posts that helped me figure out port forwarding and the whole need for KaNAT in the first place. Anyhow, that was very informative and especially the idea of using KaNAT intermittently which had not occured to me before. How does that effect when you do a search? For example, if I search with it running and then turn it off when I'm done, I will lose access to those sources that are firewalled right? Also, I have of course now checked the "do not use 1214" box. Maybe I should have done that a while ago....

@ Faethe Thanks for that link. I went to the site but have not had time to look through it yet. Maybe later this evening...

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by dr_gibberish@23 July 2003 - 18:54
    @ Switeck Thanks for that incredibly detailed reply. I have to say it is reading a lot of your earlier posts that helped me figure out port forwarding and the whole need for KaNAT in the first place. Anyhow, that was very informative and especially the idea of using KaNAT intermittently which had not occured to me before. How does that effect when you do a search? For example, if I search with it running and then turn it off when I'm done, I will lose access to those sources that are firewalled right? Also, I have of course now checked the "do not use 1214" box. Maybe I should have done that a while ago....
    And when I first started talking about router problems, I was called nuts.

While not using KaNAT, you lose all access to firewalled/router users. BUT because of port-forwarding even firewalled/router users who got your real internet ip earlier can still download from you (assuming your internet ip hasn't changed) -- you just can't message them or list their shared files. However any NEW people that try to download from you get your LAN ip in their DAT file so when you log off they won't still be hammering your connection.

If you can log/monitor traffic at your router level, you'll see these download requests even when not running Kazaa.
    Your new searches will show many/most people as firewalled, so this is basically something to do only occassionally.

I've been trying to keep up with many of the "I've been busted" message threads here, which are typically be new posters but from what I've seen ALL are real. The sheer number of lurkers here (people with 0 or very few posts) is very high. But the more intelligent posters that claim to be nabbed by their ISP give out enough information for me to get some clues to the limitations of the tools that the RIAA is using. I think we should all assume that they can at LEAST do what we can using just K-Dat and Kazaa Search alone.

On BearShare, (on the Gnutella network) I've personally seen some of the scanners in action scanning my computer. (BearShaer has excellent diagnostics and background monitoring.)

I'm reading on various p2p-related forums (KL++'s, Shareaza's, BearShare's, Zeropaid, Slashdot) for any info about what RIAA/MPAA/BSA is up to, but the most valuable info seems to be coming from Peer Guardian users.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    imported_dr_gibberish
    Not to beat a dead topic here, Switeck, but your mentioning Peer Guardian returns me to the issue of why that didn't help in my case. I looked through the list of blocked IP's at one point and saw the BSA listed in there. (However I have to admit that I had already updated the file after being nabbed, so it may not have been in the IP list that came with K++ 2.40) Anyhow, why didn't it work? I assume it's because they are sophisticated enough to just go use other networks with other IP ranges or somehow change their IP range, no? But if it's that simple, what's the value of Peer Guardian at all????

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Bluetack Mod
    With peer guardian you really have to keep updated. Just today i think they added another 30 or so ip ranges. You have to almost update it everyday. And for anyone who hasnt heard, an update to peer guardian was released the 20th. I use the actual peer guadian program b/c that way i can see if i am being probed or not.

To get the latest update for peer guardian, click here and read below if you have never updated the regular peer guardian program before.

You have to save the file as "Guarding.p2p" when the download save as windows comes up and make sure you have the file type set to "All Types". Then it is just as simple as replacing the old Guarding.p2p file in the Peer Guardian folder and restarting the application.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by dr_gibberish@24 July 2003 - 11:33
    Not to beat a dead topic here, Switeck, but your mentioning Peer Guardian returns me to the issue of why that didn't help in my case. I looked through the list of blocked IP's at one point and saw the BSA listed in there. (However I have to admit that I had already updated the file after being nabbed, so it may not have been in the IP list that came with K++ 2.40) Anyhow, why didn't it work? I assume it's because they are sophisticated enough to just go use other networks with other IP ranges or somehow change their IP range, no? But if it's that simple, what's the value of Peer Guardian at all????
    Peer Guardian's list can only block TCP traffic -- Kazaa non-firewalled (IE: router+KaNAT) connections also use UDP for SEARCH traffic. Therefore, there's no way for Peer Guardian to block that traffic.

Browse host searches (to list your files) create a direct connection between your computer and possible hostiles, but other searches may not. If they're running their searches in such a way that supernodes are doing the search requests locally for them, there's no direct TCP header link to their addresses. Your replies would go back to the supernodes which then forward the replies to them.

Kazaa Lite K++'s blocking method according to random nut has some UDP-blocking capabilities -- at least for sending from you to a hostile address. It may even sniff out search routes and not send if hostile ips are on the final destination. r.nut will hve to elaborate further on this, because I only know a little in that regard.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    how would you lose your broadband internet? if you really had to, couldnt you get another broadband service?

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    imported_dr_gibberish
    Switeck - so that suggests that using KaNAT may in fact increase my vulnerability at some level? (Because it leaves me open to the UDP connections?) This is all somewhat academic at this point as I have now removed anything someone might allege to be copyrighted from my shared files.

Ninjamonkey - Yes I suppose I could get DSL, but cable is a monopoly and it's way faster and cheaper here than DSL would be. Besides which, we all know the hassles associated with having to switch ISPs...

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000@18 July 2003 - 05:41
    Try BitTorrent, you can download full CD albums and movies but there is no effective way of tracking you because of its structure and protocol.
    The new bit torrent experimental client gives them all the info they need. It lists out in a nice neat collumn all the users you are connected to, their ip address, speed of connection and data transfered both ways.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    First 1214 is only blocked inthe new version thanks to RN. In previous version even when using a different port Zone Alarm still showed "listening" on port 1214 by KaZaa.

Also as of recent I have noticed Super Nodes that ARE hostile IP's.

In addition I truly suggest everone use a good fw and import the IP's from the PG Database in their fw, this provides much better protection and understanding of what is actually happening compared to PG. I personally use ZA 4.0 which can import xml files with the IP's.

Also if you get a letter read http://www.subpoenadefense.org/.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast