Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone remember this software?

optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by KazaaBoy View Post
    optimus_prime, you are in denial. Most of us have shown you that it is possible but yet you refuse to accept it. This thread is not for you because you are not being helpful.
    yeah, right
    neither of you actually shown anything, and that's no wonder, because such compression doesn't exist. if your goal is to confuse or entertain people, i don't mind you claiming you personally performed nuclear fusion in your room. but then keep it in the lounge section. there is no way your blatant misinformations will pass here

Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Hell, I could make a 1GB binary file that could be compressed to a few KB with winrar (have done it). Compression depends on the compressibility of the file. It also depends on what type of file is being compressed and how the algorithm processes the data. 7z probably offers the best compression on average, but it sucks at compressing wavs. However, ape is phenomenal at wav compression.
    you can make a 4 byte file that would unpack into 2TB it would contain letters "2TBx" and on unpacking special unpacker would create 2TB file filled with letter x. but that's besides the point. also, multimedia compression algorithms are whole different ball game, let's for now stick to general data packers.
    compression algorithms are under development and focus of specialized communities, there is no mystery, and no unknown magical compression. highest level of packing comes with paq and winrk. for normal usage 7z offers just a bit stronger compression than winrar. that said i would still pick winrar, and the scene obviously agrees

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    you can make a 4 byte file that would unpack into 2TB it would contain letters "2TBx" and on unpacking special unpacker would create 2TB file filled with letter x. but that's besides the point. also, multimedia compression algorithms are whole different ball game, let's for now stick to general data packers.
    compression algorithms are under development and focus of specialized communities, there is no mystery, and no unknown magical compression. highest level of packing comes with paq and winrk. for normal usage 7z offers just a bit stronger compression than winrar. that said i would still pick winrar, and the scene obviously agrees
    agreed. While you still don't believe me, I know what I saw. I tried to find the same torrent last night, but it was on demonoid and haven't found it on any other site.

and forgot to mention this. The version of civil 3d I saw was stripped down. no documentation or support files. It was between 700 and 800 MB unextracted. That seem a lil more plausible?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    no there is no such thing
    kgb compressor often makes broken archives.
    it will unpack but unpacked files won't work. there is NO such compression
    So, two people remember such a program and one provides the name, yet you still insist it doesn't exist?
    Back in the day almost all gamez would have a lot of files packed with uharc; you'd need to un-ace the archive to a folder then run the batch file to decompress the archives (often the sound files) to play the game.
    I saw a scene rip packed this way fairly recently, though I don't recall the group or the game in question.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    bump!

well just after looking for some other thing, i realised you two answered this post. i get no other posts after mine until i hit reply. i blame that on rossco

anyway,
    @mbucari1, civ 700MB packed to 280 even if existent, obviously ain't 5:1 compression you were talking about

@chewie, i don't deny uharc exist i deny it compresses to silly ratios you claim it does
    and i was there too "back in the days", i don't remember "almost all gamez" had been packed with uharc either, but whatever...

let's refrain from using memories as arguments, scene rips you saw recently make me wander what group rips games today.
    anyway, here is an example of a real proof, this guy noticed huge compression and kept the file, then asked on the forum and got answer. that's the best thing to do with those elusive compressors
    Last edited by optimus_prime; 12-26-2007 at 03:21 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    If the 700mb file had 670 Mb of 0's or an obvious pattern like 101010, then any simple compression like .rar or .zip can compress it to 12mb. Even a file of 10Gb file can be compressed to 12mb.

I don't think the compression scheme was really the reason why the file was so small, but rather how the original file was structured...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    hmm command and conquer was 300meg and 1.5gig uncompressed with uharc, i remember it well, but obviously do not have the file now. but that does not mean it never existed.

I even compressed Breakout on the PS1 with winrar, 700meg CD down to 8meg. again though, dont have it handy so cant prove it, but that doesnt mean it never happened.

But i have to agree with optimus, Uharc is horrible, KGB takes ages same as 7zip (7zip is good for small roms, no good for big ISOs,) Winrar is the one we should all use, and like was already mentioned, the scene use winrar so who are we to argue.

PS: uharc is still used today in PC Game Rips, you never realy see ISO done with uharc.

http://nforce.nl/index.php?switchto=...ns&sectionid=1

most if not all of those will be uharc, even though i havnt downloaded a game rip for years.

PPS: Command And Conquer Generals was actually 180meg, and it was the full game, you just couldnt update it or play online with it.

Real copy was 2CDs, so about 1.4-1.5gig in size.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gam...-generals-7265

its amazing what crap you remember isnt it
    Last edited by stoi; 12-28-2007 at 05:58 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123