Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLAC or mp3 ( 320 kbps ) ?

BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Im sick of uninformed ppl. Someone posted in here early about a study where no one can tell the difference in properly encoded 256 or higher and Flac. It is quite true. I produces music and play guitar/violin, quite well. At home, I have a sound blaster x-fi platinum and logitechs z-5500's. For headphones i have Ultimate ears triple fi 10. In the studio, I use a typical professional setup with 2 stereo speakers. Now heres the interesting part. With properly encoded 192, it is relatively easy for my (trained) ears to see the difference in high frequencies and low frequencies, especially with a powerful sub. The difference in the mid is barely noticeable, if it all between 192 and flac. Maybe on some occasions there is a more "surround" or "full" effect of the mid. When I ran comparison tests with a 320 bitrate and flac, there is NO DIFFERENCE. none, zip, nada. Even the bass is just as defined. So flac only has 2 purposes: 1. OCD ppl that need a "perefect rip" and 2. Ppl that need 2 show off thier e-diks by having a 500gb collection with 50 albums lol.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaa730 View Post
    Im sick of uninformed ppl. Someone posted in here early about a study where no one can tell the difference in properly encoded 256 or higher and Flac. It is quite true. I produces music and play guitar/violin, quite well. At home, I have a sound blaster x-fi platinum and logitechs z-5500's. For headphones i have Ultimate ears triple fi 10. In the studio, I use a typical professional setup with 2 stereo speakers. Now heres the interesting part. With properly encoded 192, it is relatively easy for my (trained) ears to see the difference in high frequencies and low frequencies, especially with a powerful sub. The difference in the mid is barely noticeable, if it all between 192 and flac. Maybe on some occasions there is a more "surround" or "full" effect of the mid. When I ran comparison tests with a 320 bitrate and flac, there is NO DIFFERENCE. none, zip, nada. Even the bass is just as defined. So flac only has 2 purposes: 1. OCD ppl that need a "perefect rip" and 2. Ppl that need 2 show off thier e-diks by having a 500gb collection with 50 albums lol.
    Absurd.

You're assuming that every album ever made is recorded the same way.

I'd gladly submit myself to A/B comparisons of MP3/lossless, or any other comparison between striking the spectrum. Would I get it "right" 100% of the time? I don't suspect so, but I bet I would notice a lot of the time. Heck, I do notice a lot of the time.

The whole reason I bothered with lossless was because I accidentally loaded a Grateful Dead show in shn and in MP3 in WinAmp and noticed the drastic change as it switched from one to the other. I used to grab lossless and then use Razorlame on the highest sensitivity setting to 224base/320high VBR encode. I did this for several weeks until this little mishap with throwing both types files into WinAmp at once. I admit that it was stupid to not do this comparison from the beginning, but years ago file storage was all new to me. I could hardly believe the difference as I continued to compare for a few weeks after that.

I grew up around a stereo nut for a father, so I don't know if listening to details is learned or innate. It just seems pretty obvious to me most of the time.

Also, if you want accurate answers, submit your questions to the Music section and not the Bittorrent section.

yo

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Skizo, if u hate me so much, just ban me

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    What test did you run?
    Just think, if 320 sound the same as flac (=.wav) then why ain't CDs made compressed to 320;
    Some thing just does not sound right here and I am not uninformed.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I prefer flac at the moment because it's new to me i'm still trying to learn about this format besides it not being compressed in anyway i can't tell the difference much i may hear the intraments more but that's just a guess i have no really compared the two yet i don't know what to look out for.

Personaly i think if the general user can't notice any difference it really does not matter for the majority of us i guess the majority being mp3 listeners.
    Last edited by sleepyy; 12-01-2007 at 04:53 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    DyNast's Avatar What's My Age Again? BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Wow, you're fearless!

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by xxzzxx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbat View Post
    this thread is actually for those members who are part of FLAC trackers like E and btmusic .

do you really find any difference in quality ? i cant really tell the difference with my 7.1 creative speaker system and soundcard , so just curious
    just of curiosity, which 7.1 creative and sound card do u use ?

i use creative gigaworks s750 and xfi platinum.

inspire t7900 with x-fi elite pro

ok . so you need a real high end audio system to enjoy the FLAC . correct ?

and most people use it for backup purpose .

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

Also, if you want accurate answers, submit your questions to the Music section and not the Bittorrent section.
    sorry about that . this question was aimed at Btmusic and E users that is why i posted in the BT section

i only listen to music on my pc , so i think for me wasting my HDD space for the tiny difference isnt worth it

thanks everyone for those valuable comments

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Submission View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post

So you speak for all lossless enthusiasts now? I can distinguish between qualities of lossy and lossless music ... And yes, it does serve useful for backing up and ripping from vinyl.
    dont bullshit, they have done studies. Above 256kbps no one can tell the difference. 192kbps, some experts can tell the difference.
    not bullshit at all. If you have a GOOD speaker system, they you can hear the difference. For me, mp3s can't capture the dedth of the music that was encoded and ends up sounding metalicy. I have used 320Kbps and have also adjusted the lowpass in many configurations, but the mp3s simply are not capable of the same fidelity.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    BANNED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i cant ever hear the difference so long as its over 192 kbps so i have no use for flac but as its been said here it makes it nice so you can rip to any other quality you want. atm i have no need to do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by DyNast View Post
    Wow, you're fearless!
    we call that stupid.
    Last edited by aysomc; 12-01-2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    High bitrate vinyl rips and sometimes Aucoustic or electronic FLAC is better. But I only download FLAC if possible.

BTW since asked. Both BTMusic and E user
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast