Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heaviest?

Poster
    Originally posted by tite-wad+23 July 2003 - 00:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tite-wad @ 23 July 2003 - 00:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@22 July 2003 - 18:33
    However would&#39;ve really isn&#39;t an acceptable diminution for would have. Frankly it has no elegance.

Inelegant perhaps, but it beats "would of" which I hear/see far too frequently. [/b][/quote]
    Inelegant really lacks elegance, don&#39;t you think.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Originally posted by JPaul@22 July 2003 - 18:47
    Would you have preferred unrefined?

3. Lounge   -   #33
    lynx's Avatar .
    Any more of this inelegance and someone&#39;s going to get hit with a piece of 2x4 would of a tree.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Poster
    Originally posted by tite-wad+23 July 2003 - 00:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tite-wad @ 23 July 2003 - 00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@22 July 2003 - 18:47
    Would you have preferred unrefined? [/b][/quote]
    Very much so.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    lynx's Avatar .
    And just to clear things up, depending on context bouth pound and kilogram can be units of mass or weight.

But since the question was which is the heaviest (not the most massive) we are clearly talking about weight, so JP is definitely WRONG

Edit: typo
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Originally posted by lynx@22 July 2003 - 18:51
    Any more of this inelegance and someone&#39;s going to get hit with a piece of 2x4 would of a tree.
    Ouch&#33;&#33;&#33;

That wood be painful indeed&#33;

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@23 July 2003 - 00:55
    And just to clear things up, depending on context bouth pound and kilogram can be units of mass or weight.

But since the question was which is the heaviest (not the most massive) we are clearly talking about weight, so JP is definitely WRONG

Edit: typo
    Weight is a force. Pound is not a unit of force.

Heavier - not heaviest.

More massive - not most massive.

Don&#39;t shout, particularly when talking bunkum.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    lynx's Avatar .
    Pedantry will get you nowhere.

Spring balances measure force, not mass. My spring balance is calibrated in pounds. Ergo pound can be a unit of force.

The question said heaviest, the equivalent in terms of mass would be most massive not more massive. I quoted the question.

So once again you are WRONG WRONG WRONG

9. Lounge   -   #39
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    i believe that a pound of gold (european money) would weigh more than a pound of feathers.

edit: but i&#39;m probably wrong since i dont know pounds

10. Lounge   -   #40
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by kAb@23 July 2003 - 01:31
    i believe that a pound of gold (european money) would weigh more than a pound of feathers.

edit: but i&#39;m probably wrong since i dont know pounds
    We use GOLD ?

Quick, somebody call the police, I must have been robbed.

Edit: ps I think we&#39;ve already established that it&#39;s the other way round.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast