Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are you and why do you illegaly download?

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I'm 20 and I download because I'm not rich enough to buy the things which I download. I still buy the occasional music CD and computer game, but most of the time I just want to explore and NOT be charged out the ass while I'm doing it.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    cubkiller89's Avatar GSXR-600 BT Rep: +2
    A question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

As far as the argument that it is simply too expensive so are high end computers and my devices that you are being ridiculously over charged. I'm sure all of us here can agree alienware computers are way over priced and only milking the consumer. But yet we don't steal other items we either don't buy them or just pay the price. Why is music/movies/games/etc. any different. Think about that.

Again let me just state that I download not here to bust your balls for downloading just doing it for the paper.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    spark's Avatar Super Seeder BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    I think you are the true God!!
    <NES> lol
    <NES> I download something from Napster
    <NES> And the same guy I downloaded it from starts downloading it from me when I'm done
    <NES> I message him and say "What are you doing? I just got that from you"
    <NES> "getting my song back fucker"

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    V For Vendetta's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Cause I can , and would of done at any age .
    that would be my answer too
    -V

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I'm 20, and sometimes I can't afford to buy a DVD because I happen to be ~$75,000 in debt.

gg College.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post
    I'm 20, and sometimes I can't afford to buy a DVD because I happen to be ~$75,000 in debt.

gg College.
    Read what I said above. Do you think downloading is ok? Why not go and steal other things as well.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    i download legally (most of the files at least).

< what is legal and what is illegal depends differers from law to law but for most country this is how it is...>

- distributing non legit copies for profit is illegal....sharing without profit isn't.

- as long files (not .torrent file though) aren't hosted by tracker...it's legal. However, if a tracker owns seedbox...i suppose it's considered hosting...and it might be considered illegal. Yet, if a user owns seedbox it does not matter.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Actatoi's Avatar 2+2 is 5 if I say so BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by cubkiller89 View Post
    A question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

As far as the argument that it is simply too expensive so are high end computers and my devices that you are being ridiculously over charged. I'm sure all of us here can agree alienware computers are way over priced and only milking the consumer. But yet we don't steal other items we either don't buy them or just pay the price. Why is music/movies/games/etc. any different. Think about that.

Again let me just state that I download not here to bust your balls for downloading just doing it for the paper.
    Yes it is a difference, you steal from that affair as well. But yes it is stealing we are doing and greed is a part of human nature. One saying something else is just making up lame excuses for what one is doing.

I am very sure that if it were as easy to steal something else or do something else that is illegal as filesharing are, people would do that too. If it profited them.
    What an ordinary day, the extraordinary way.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35

downloading illegally and stealing from a retail store are NOT the same thing. A retail store has purchased their CDs from the manufacturer with the expectation of reselling them for a proffit. When someone steels a CD from them, they lose the money that they invested in purchasing that CD.

Downloading is a different story. One copy was purchased initially (usually) and was then distributed an indefinite number of times. This distribution, while illegal, only hurts the manufacturer if download was a substitute for purchasing a legitimate copy. There is no tangible loss by anyone. I'll admit that I have downloaded albums which I would have purchased if I was unable to download it, but this is pretty rare. While I am still stealing music, it is not nearly as bad as lifting from a store.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post

downloading illegally and stealing from a retail store are NOT the same thing. A retail store has purchased their CDs from the manufacturer with the expectation of reselling them for a proffit. When someone steels a CD from them, they lose the money that they invested in purchasing that CD.

Downloading is a different story. One copy was purchased initially (usually) and was then distributed an indefinite number of times. This distribution, while illegal, only hurts the manufacturer if download was a substitute for purchasing a legitimate copy. There is no tangible loss by anyone. I'll admit that I have downloaded albums which I would have purchased if I was unable to download it, but this is pretty rare. While I am still stealing music, it is not nearly as bad as lifting from a store.
    That's the most flawed argument the label's are still losing money. If you want to go on tangible loss we can assume that there are 1/20 albums that you download you would have bought. Just because the loss isn't direct doesn't mean there still isn't a loss. If you want to think about it that way as well than think about if there wasn't any downloading to speak off how many more albums would be purchased.

LET IT BE KNOWN: I'm pro file sharing, just playing advocate for the sake of creating discussion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast