Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How old are you and why do you illegaly download?

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiebrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cubkiller89 View Post
    A question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

As far as the argument that it is simply too expensive so are high end computers and my devices that you are being ridiculously over charged. I'm sure all of us here can agree alienware computers are way over priced and only milking the consumer. But yet we don't steal other items we either don't buy them or just pay the price. Why is music/movies/games/etc. any different. Think about that.

Again let me just state that I download not here to bust your balls for downloading just doing it for the paper.
    Here's your answer for school...

Copyrights are outdated. They do not take into consideration modern technology. The RIAA and MPAA flipped out over VCRs when they came out in the late 70s also and then they figured out a way to make money with the new technology...by selling movies on video cassette. So here we are again, 25 years later and the industry is fretting again...this time they are largely ignoring using the technology and are trying to slay a many-headed hydra that will never die. It is not the music or movie industry's position to define what is legal and what is illegal when it comes to consumers sharing their wares.

Studies have shown that downloading music does hurt the record sales of some of the more popular artists(who I have a hard time feeling sorry for when they appear on MTV with their Lamborghinis), but that it actually helps the more obscure artists because it gets their music out there. I know this is true with software, etc. also. I work in the IT industry and people regularly ask me to recommend software to them. These are people who have nothing to do with BT and wouldn't grasp it if I began to explain how to use it. So I recommend them the software that I became familiar with and they buy it. I've sold many copies of burning software, etc. because I was able to test it out on BT.

Copyright laws as they stand today will not be able to stand up to the onslaught of BT. Copyrights are rendered useless. Now, if only these industries could figure out a way to embrace the technology...pay a flat fee for all the files you want or something like that. I know a lot of people here pay monthly fees for seedboxes. I don't think they'd mind spending a similar fee for free access to the wares they want.

File sharing is not stealing - it's an exploitation of an outdated concept.
    You're forgetting one thing, Schools aren't concerned with what is "right", they're concerned with what is law. And infringing copyrites is illegal.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Your missing my point...it's not illegal...its a grey area that hasn't been defined properly yet.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Vercors's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I wouldn't have bought most of the things I've downloaded anyway.
    And for those that I'd have bought...well, I did buy them (or i'm about to)

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    bunny67's Avatar THE ORIGINAL BUNNY! BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    im 74yrs old and i d/l because im on a pension and cant afford to buy cds or dvds ,i cant even afford the flixs .so any donations please send to my email ty

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    17 - stick it to the man!
    save money and stuff like music is availible in higher quality than online stores
    video's aren't chock full of drm shit too so i can do whatever I want with them

And i'd say its no different than shoplifitng, except Im not gonna get caught if I file share thousands of times but I would if I shoplifted that much.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Cool Topic for a Paper

How old are you
    40+

and why do you illegally download?
    Because I can. And I have for 24 years (and yes I am that old)

And why did you start file sharing.
    Because most of the BBS’s closed down & where very slow!

Did you start because of high cost of albums?
    No, software mainly, but now because of the high cost of everything.

More convenient to be able to sit at home and download?
    No, That Part is just for fun! & Screw the Man

is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?
    Yes, because it is easier to get away with it. Unless we can get 180,000 people to all got to target at one time and start stealing albums. Then only a very small percent will get caught and the rest of us will get away with it!

As far as the argument that it is simply too expensive so are high end computers and my devices that you are being ridiculously over charged. I'm sure all of us here can agree alienware computers are way over priced and only milking the consumer. But yet we don't steal other items we either don't buy them or just pay the price. Why is music/movies/games/etc. any different. Think about that.
    Because its hard to get that alienware box under my coat. But if for some reason one was delivered to my house and no one came looking for it, I would keep that too!

I would actually be interested in reading you paper, and also knowing what grade you get!
    Last edited by seppypom; 12-09-2007 at 02:52 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Because you can't download alientware computers but we can do that with music/movies/games

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Smidge under 18 and I do it cuz I can and it's free. I tried shoplifting lol it sucks This is a hell of a lot easier on the nerves

P.S. My friend in english is doing the exact same thesis (almost) for his argumentative research essay for the effect of P2P sharing on the music industry. Good luck on your paper. I would like to read it too.
    Last edited by phonzie; 12-09-2007 at 05:51 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45

started because things are just to expensive, and if i didnt do it with games anyway, the consoles would just be paperweights. 2 360`s flash get played all the time, 1 wii not chipped, is a paperweight, was going to buy a ps3, but pointless, i will once its modable.

and i would rather pay 25p or whatever it is for a blank DVD than £5 for a dodgy copy (that i can get better of anyway) or £15-£60 for a music/DVD/game that will get played once, probably for 5-10 hours for a game, and then never see the light of day again.

Also i semi worked it out the other year, it was by no means accurate, but in a few years of pirating, i have probably saved the best part of £100,000.

But then if i didnt pirate, i wouldnt have spent £100,000 probably about £1000 max. so they are not loosing a lot from me, but i would be loosing a lot if i didnt pirate (as i wouldnt buy most of the crud that i download, or if i did, i would feel cheated and never buy again anyway).

and i wouldnt want an alienware PC, i have quite a decent PC which cost at least 1/2 the price of an alienware and is probably about the same as one.

and no i dont steal from shops either, not because i dont want to, but i dont need to as i download all my stuff now j/k seriously though, downloadable content is only realy all 0`s and 1`s anyway, its not a physical thing.

also if pirating was such a NO NO, BB connections would still be dialup, consoles wouldnt be able to be hacked full stop (yes ps3 cant yet but i bet it can in the future, if it means sony loosing the console wars, i can even see them releasing an exploit on the WWW to get it modable). Blank DVDs Blue Ray etc etc wouldnt exist, recorders wouldnt exist, christ, Ipods and MP3 players, even blank old fashioned tape cassette as you could copy songs off the radio anyway.

so yeah they might say the pirating is a NO NO, but who actually makes blank media and the writers to burn the stuff with. Sony for one, so i doubt it will be that long before we see the PS3 modable.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    My reason is to support the real artists and also discover new artists at that. If i really like something i download, I will go out to a local retailer and purchase the music or movie. Also another big reason is due to finding rare stuff that you wouldn't find anywhere else.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast