Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Urine test for welfare?

pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    yes, there needs to be restrictions on how long you can collect welfare for. Once the time is up the people should be forced to do community service or something for their check. People need to do something to earn the money or they wont care at all how they spend it.

or just get rid of the whole system because its so screwed up.
    You guys must me sleeping in fron of the computers, welfare reform passed in 1993, nobody can be on welfare for more than 2 years lifetime, that's it, and when people come to the welfare rolls for those two years, they have to start a mandatory community service job, of they get cut off, that's all there is to it, Bill Clinton signed that bill into law.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    Whenever you start putting qualifications on benefits, you have to ask the question, are you ok with the people who fail starving to death in your country?
    Personally i accept that whatever system you use it will be flawed, but i'm willing to pay the taxes that guarantee that anyone will be cared for. Its annoying that money is being spent on wasters, but i prefer it to the alternative.
    I don't.

Ironically, I give to bums on the street. However, I can't agree with a mass blanketing of those benefits for those that obviously piss it away.

I remember being on School St SW D.C. I get out of my truck and this fella asks for money for a sandwich. I asked him to follow me into the Subway and told him to get what he wanted.

He came out, sat on some steps and tore that sandwich up.

In other cases, people give the sandwich, and the bum literally throws away in front of the giver cuz he wanted money.

Fuck that.

The problem is that people (mostly liberals) don't like holding people accountable for those folks own well being.

"Sit on your ass we'll pay for it cuz we want to help you....sit on your ass."

There are always the exceptions like the handicapped, mentally handicapped, and struggling mom trying to make ends meet.

Most of the exceptions have good enough excuses in my book.

You have the man working two janitorial jobs living in a hovel then you have the man not working at all living in a slightly better hovel.

The shit makes me sick.

The alternative is that able bodied folks should work or eat shit.

There is no middle.

Just like I think the current system of gun ownership here sucks cuz it's too easy for folk to get guns, I think welfare needs even more scrutiny.

One should feel almost too proud to ask for it. It should be considered a privilege, not a preordained hand-out.

People actually flock to D.C. cuz of it's welfare system (previous non-residents).

I've said that illegal immigrants should fuck-off cuz of that word I said before immigrant. However, one thing is true. They come here working their asses off. I go into many buildings that might have a new company moving in and they are right there working.

So I look at illegals, and other's struggling by working and then look at the lazy fuck who has people with your mindset in their corner that don't give any incentive for him to work.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    yes, there needs to be restrictions on how long you can collect welfare for. Once the time is up the people should be forced to do community service or something for their check. People need to do something to earn the money or they wont care at all how they spend it.

Most states have some sort of restrictions in place. Not how long you can be on it, but things you must do to keep it. When I was 21, I moved with my boyfriend to a state where I knew no one. He ended up in jail and I was pregnant, all of a sudden I was by myself working at a grocery store in a small town that didn't have many jobs for $150 a week. I qualified for food stamps and medicaid.

In order to keep my food stamps, I had to attend weekly training classes. In these classes, they helped you find a job, get rides to an interview, get your liscense, learn how to make a resume, etc. Anything you had to do to help find a better paying, full time job.

Most states don't just hand out money and say, Hey don't worry about a job, we got you covered.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    Whenever you start putting qualifications on benefits, you have to ask the question, are you ok with the people who fail starving to death in your country?
    Personally i accept that whatever system you use it will be flawed, but i'm willing to pay the taxes that guarantee that anyone will be cared for. Its annoying that money is being spent on wasters, but i prefer it to the alternative.
    I don't.

Ironically, I give to bums on the street. However, I can't agree with a mass blanketing of those benefits for those that obviously piss it away.

I remember being on School St SW D.C. I get out of my truck and this fella asks for money for a sandwich. I asked him to follow me into the Subway and told him to get what he wanted.

In other cases, people give the sandwich, and the bum literally throws away in front of the giver cuz he wanted money.

Fuck that.

The problem is that people (mostly liberals) don't like holding people accountable for those folks own well being.

There are always the exceptions like the handicapped, mentally handicapped, and struggling mom trying to make ends meet.

You have the man working two janitorial jobs living in a hovel then you have the man not working at all living in a slightly better hovel.

The shit makes me sick.

There is no middle.

Just like I think the current system of gun ownership here sucks cuz it's too easy for folk to get guns, I think welfare needs even more scrutiny.

One should feel almost too proud to ask for it. It should be considered a privilege, not a preordained hand-out.

People actually flock to D.C. cuz of it's welfare system (previous non-residents).

I've said that illegal immigrants should fuck-off cuz of that word I said before immigrant. However, one thing is true. They come here working their asses off. I go into many buildings that might have a new company moving in and they are right there working.

So I look at illegals, and other's struggling by working and then look at the lazy fuck who has people with your mindset in their corner that don't give any incentive for him to work.
    Typically simplistic conservative mindset...you people make me si.............never mind.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by pentomato View Post

You guys must me sleeping in fron of the computers, welfare reform passed in 1993, nobody can be on welfare for more than 2 years lifetime, that's it, and when people come to the welfare rolls for those two years, they have to start a mandatory community service job, of they get cut off, that's all there is to it, Bill Clinton signed that bill into law.
    O noes I think like the democrats

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    *MUAH* BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

I don't.

Fuck that.

The shit makes me sick.

There is no middle.

Typically simplistic conservative mindset...you people make me si.............never mind.
    Typically simplistic liberal mindset...you people are reta.............never mind.

**YES, I am a girl!**

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by xxtonic View Post

Typically simplistic liberal mindset...you people are reta.............never mind.
    Eh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxtonic View Post

Eh?
    Test everybody, I say.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Well it's not like it's hard to get hold of 'clean' pish. So why not.
    Now go away.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    ...edited...

I can't agree with a mass blanketing of those benefits for those that obviously piss it away.

I agree in some ways:
    a person working should never be worse off than someone on benefits
    It should be set up to encourage people to only make it a temporary thing, except for those who have 'a good reason' (as you defined above) to stay on.
    It shouldn't be a socially acceptable thing to be on benefits without a reason (i.e. pride/shame & cultural disapproval should play a role)

But we differ in the duration that someone should be supported for...

How do you feel about benefits for people with children? Is it no different (child suffers for parents errors), or do you pay benefits (unemployed people just have to have children...) or do you take the kids away (again kid suffers and potentially costs more)?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast