Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are trackers staffs taking profits from donation ?

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    $70 a month, your site will last long then.

$1,000 a month is not make believe if you have over 50,000 users and 100,000 peers on a tracker.

I wish it was make believe and it only cost me $70 a month to run this thing, but its not. and it costs that and more.

if your in the USA, cheap yes.

If you have shit Server/s = cheap yes

If you want good servers, anominity, offshore or asian bandwidth even european bandwidth then it costs money, you just have to look at the decent servers on leaseweb and the bw for asian servers (asia is 1mbps max international BW) and extra costs a fortune, and as we are using 2mbps now on just the tracker (yes we do not seed from the servers, that would be folly) and most of our users are western users so that = international bandwith.

and i knew blackats would be mentioned in this somewhere after all the crap, some will believe me, some them, but them have made their own tracker you know. wonder why saying as though the reason they caused a shitstorm was because I WAS NOT PAYING THEM because i COULDNT.

PS: just to add, we do not have 1 ad on the site, we do not have any P2L on the site, we do not have any Gigs for Money on the site, and we havnt for quite some time now.

so if i am supposedly making so much, i wonder how much other trackers are making that have these incentives and have more members than blackcats. Not that i have anything against them for doing it, but why all of a sudden (and for the past 2 years because of tornado from torrentstrike sprouting crap) its all come down to what I do and Blackcats, when we dont have any P2L on the site at all, and VIP is basically the same price as everywhere else, but for a lot less benefits.
    Last edited by stoi; 12-28-2007 at 09:24 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    robert03's Avatar Blending in...
    Warez by definition means "trading" or nowdays, "sharing". A few years ago, you traded one software for another, simple as that. They did that because there were limited posibilities regarding filesharing.

When technology reached a certain level, people started sharing for FREE on DC networks, FTP sites and such, especially because the purpose of the act was to cause the companies a few problems, and while you're at it, enjoy yourself a bit.
    It was not inteded to make a profit out of it, and it'll never be. Well dooh?? What's the difference between a company and such people? Tuhmeytoh.. tə-mā'tō..
    The game doesn't change but the rules do. And we do that, no one else.

And heck, if I pay, oh excuse me, I donate, I should be entitled to download until I reach power failure. The ammount I donate should not count because I did you a favour, not the other way around; there's always another site where I can get that for free.
    I got burned once, I'll make sure it won't happen again.

Remember, pirating software is free and should remain like that!

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Are trackers staffs taking profits from donation ?

I dont see anything wrong about it , they work hard .. and we enjoy!

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    aa
    Last edited by ScreaminJay; 01-04-2008 at 06:33 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    If you don't like a site, f**k it off, don't donate.

Site staff work VERY hard till they are established. Ask yourself, how many times have u donated a non-established site or non-promising site? I mean they need money to run their server as well...but till they are established, majority of server cost goes from their pocket.

But once a site has trust of it's user, it gets more donation, and will keep on getting more donation. Think about it this way, they worked their butt off to reach this point...they deserve the "extra" money [if any]. But as thefox said, site get more money some season and less in other....so they still aren't really getting "extra" money.

edit: i am definately against "buying" in the name of "donating". Example:

"donate" [buy] for invite, gb, VIP status etc.
    Last edited by squirr3l; 12-28-2007 at 10:35 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    aa
    Last edited by ScreaminJay; 01-04-2008 at 06:32 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by tiolewis View Post
    Are trackers staffs taking profits from donation ?

I dont see anything wrong about it , they work hard .. and we enjoy!
    Well, some will argue that they're making profit from the labor of others, i.e. the artists/developers which labor is spread by the trackers are not profiting, while the owners of the sites do.

I realize tracker staff are investing time and effort running the tracker, and I don't expect them to lose money for it (although most of them probably do), but I personally have a lot more respect for sites where the donations cover only the server costs and not anything additional. I also feel more inclined to donate to such sites.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    I'll add some pertinent points here...

1).. Remember that donations are for running the tracker (and seedboxes?), and not for access to content. Access to content should always be free, but every tracker has a right to ask it's members for help in running the community.

2).. We hear about profits being made, and some places to make a small profit. I should point out that if you donate to charity, a percentage is creamed off the top in the name of running costs, and what is left goes to those who are supposed to benefit. Some charities actually pass on as little as 30% of the donated funds, and the execs who run these charities will run their campaigns from their executive houses, and drive to charity events in their Mercedes.

(Don't think for one minute that all charities are honest and above board. I've seen some real rip off charities where the beneficiaries got a very small percentage of the actual take, with the rest being eaten up by these so called 'running costs'.)

3).. People will spend a small fortune on a night out/pub/bar, without batting an eyelid. People will squander money on any triviality they want, yet when it comes to supporting a torrent community, which they profess to need, they are reluctant. The donation isn't for material, but for the effort of keeping such places open (especially the smaller sites).

4).. There is this whole ethos regarding the internet where we want everything to be free. We pay our way in the real world, yet when we are on line, we absolutely abhor paying for anything. If I download an album, and like the content, I will go and buy the album. I use torrents as a preview service. People often go on about how much money the music industry is making (we know they are a profit organisation), but also our local supermarket and public transport also make money. The world revolves around money, and making a profit is considered acceptable. If we spend £100 on shopping at Tescos a week, then purchasing the odd CD here and there will not break the bank. Our attitudes have to change.

5).. There are people who make the effort and go the extra mile to bring you these communities. Servers don't exist with the code already set up. Each community needs a vanilla install, and stylesheets, and other sundries. As time goes on, the site code needs to evolve to keep pace with the current trends. This requires the efforts of at least one person, if not many more. Donating is your way of supporting these people, and showing your gratitude for the efforts they have made on your behalf.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Vidde's Avatar Wubalicious <3 BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I don't buy it for one second that tracker staffers can put money into their own pockets because it's a hard job keeping the site alive.
    Guess what? Noone, and I mean noone, is forcing them to do it. There isn't a single torrentsite out there maintained by a sysop with a gun to his/her head. Generating hard cash from warez is the biggest no-no in my book, and I seriously hope that greedy ppl are thrown in jail.

Torrentsites are supposed to make enuf money to uphold the site, maybe sceneaxx and seedboxes, nothing more.

I know some sites are keeping the extra cash, just in case of a sudden server move, or in case of frozen PayPal-accounts. I think that's okay, but as soon as you order something expensive for yourself, I find it unethical..

-Vidde
    Last edited by Vidde; 12-29-2007 at 02:30 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    i want a lexus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast