Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To BT site staff about utorrent 1.6.1 !

grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Alpha's tend to be really buggy anyways. I would diverge users from them, unless your a developer or beta tester of course.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    BANNED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i would like to go back to 1.6.1 just because 1.7.6 takes me 30 seconds or more before it actually starts downloading anything and ive even had a few times where it didnt connect to any peers until i restarted utorrent. could be a problem on my end, but it hasnt ever happened on 1.6.1. nice work rvt.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    ^Never experienced anything similar...

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    jam0980tr's Avatar jam cakes mmm Lovely
    Down-Speed Up-Speed
    Proud 2 Be a Member Of 0sec Tmp3

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    i would like to go back to 1.6.1 just because 1.7.6 takes me 30 seconds or more before it actually starts downloading anything and ive even had a few times where it didnt connect to any peers until i restarted utorrent. could be a problem on my end, but it hasnt ever happened on 1.6.1. nice work rvt.
    I agree. Also i can't use myspleen now. They banned ut 1.7.6. Bad client according to them. I now also have problems downloading from some trackers. It may change now though since alot of people are forced to upgrade since most trackers have now offically banned 1.6.1 (most not all).

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    ffs, i was forced to upgrade to 1.7.6 cuz revTT allows no earlier versions.
    TL also recommends upgrading.

i hope this situation is just temporary and they will allow again using 1.6.x versions. i agree with the ban on 1.7.x prior to 1.7.6 though.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    As pointed out by rvt, the vulnerability is exploited by crafting a specific tracker URL. Practically every private torrent site will change the URL by adding a passkey to it, therefore destroying any attempt at a malicious URL.

The only place where these exploits can actually be practised would be on the public trackers, because if anyone was stupid enough to try this on a private tracker, their details would be circulated quicker than a Scotsman could down a bottle of whisky.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    SCT have forced upgrading, so the massive userbase there, who are indeed shared amongst FSC and FTN will have upgraded. As long as a few big torrent sites force the move to 1.7.6 (what and waffles did as well?) i doubt many will remain with 1.6.1 (except those still caught up in the consipracy theories)

Someone invite me to fsc please

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by rvt View Post
    Edit: In regards to uT saying it affects 1.6.x, that is a lie put out to get people to upgrade.
    One of the bittorrent devs said in their forum that it does not affect 1.6.x
    Yes, its obvious. Even 1.6 has not such a vulnerability unless you are using xp without upgrades. My utorrent always crashed when my computer auto-shut down during power failures with xp with no service packs installed. However, since when i upgraded with sp2, there are no problems. Still i'm using 1.6, not even 1.6.1

Why trackers enforce it? I find only one reason. Many complain in the forums that their utorrent crashed and so they couldn't seed acc to tracker rules. The result is obvious. I always keep a back up copy of my utorrent settings, though i never needed to use it.

Another reason could be cheating. Staff might think they can beat cheaters cause they might have the old version based cheating clients. lol
    However, i'm not against this forced upgrade, but if all trackers do it, it'd be appreciated.

Last edited by silhoutte; 01-21-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. BitTorrent   -   #20

Heart

Quote Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
    i doubt many will remain with 1.6.1 (except those still caught up in the consipracy theories)
    It's not just about conspiracy theories anymore though is it?
    Even if you disregard the fact that utorrent development is now partly funded by 20th Century Fox etc, this situation has proven that every version of the client since BitTorrent Inc took over has had serious flaws. That diminishes my confidence beyond just being paranoid.

None of the sites that I use have bought into the scaremongering about 1.6 yet, so I'll continue using it. Never had a problem with it so why change?

Imagine a torrent site as a human body.
    Staff provide the brain, members the soul, uploaders the muscle, all working together within the body itself.
    And yes, the body has to find a way to survive, and if the soul is strong enough to provide for itself, it will survive and prosper.
    On the other hand, if you have to start pimping your body then you're in a bad way, your soul is weak and you're liable to catch something...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast