Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Community - The Truth

krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Most every time I see a request thread, it is usually closed with a statement such as:

"I only want it because of the community, I would be a great addition etc. etc. etc."

The truth is there are very few trackers with communities like the ones you would expect. Now keep in mind, I'm not flaming any "top tier" trackers, but there are certain ones that are most certainly overhyped and misconstrued in a way that misrepresents the actual community there. In fact, the communities at What.cd and Waffles have some of the most fantastic communities I have ever come across; in terms of music lovers, you have every type of person imaginable. You can get recommendations about the newest and oldest music, from contemporary jazz to noise, and everything in between.

On a specific "top level" site that I have seen people requesting because of the "community", I have found the forums and people to be cold and alienating. In fact, this is true (for me) for more than one case. Most of the most requested trackers have boring and irksome forums.

The fact of the matter is you can never know what the community is like until you are a member there. You may have that person who praises the community there, but more often then not it has been hyped into something that is bound to disappoint.

In closing, I have found that SCC has the most comprehensive selection of content anyone could ever ask for. It has all the new ScT releases, TL and FTN releases, with great packs as well. All these people who want that "Level 10" (note the quotations) tracker for the community seem to be putting on a visage to pretend like that is what they want out of a tracker.

But hey, that's just me.
    -KT

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Computer Scientist BT Rep: +1
    it's true, but i dont get why it was necessary to be said....everyone knows that already.
    just a guy who doesn't like to pay for movies....or video games...or software...or television...or music...you know, just like everyone else!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    X X - - (-o-) (-o-) BT Rep: +3
    you only say that the community is good and you feel home to a tracker if you meet the same personalities, or interesting people with a very little in common. if you love music, you are probably going to find the best community among the music trackers, if you love movies, then movie trackers are the best for you. its rare, that you meet guys at a tracker who you feel good to chat with. it has nothing to do with the lvl of the tracker, its just a hypocrite lie.

anyway, be realistic, apart from some places you hang out at, its not a bad thing that ppl are nice there, but what i call community is when i just lay back at the beach with gf, torrenting is never going to be first
    Last edited by magushun; 01-20-2008 at 08:58 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    I find the forums on all those level 10 sites great, It's more a family than some randoms.

If you were to go offline for a few days, people would notice and ask how you've been etc.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Debate is overrated BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by LordS View Post
    I find the forums on all those level 10 sites great, It's more a family than some randoms.

If you were to go offline for a few days, people would notice and ask how you've been etc.
    Smaller the group better the community.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by LordS View Post

i agree!

there's a sense of bond bt users. And, that takes torrenting beyond just sharing.......it takes it to caring.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Computer Scientist BT Rep: +1
    yes, community is nice, it helps people feel more secure i guess, but why is this a necessary thread again?
    just a guy who doesn't like to pay for movies....or video games...or software...or television...or music...you know, just like everyone else!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by filonome View Post
    yes, community is nice, it helps people feel more secure i guess, but why is this a necessary thread again?
    That's an odd question...why is any thread necessary? why are there forums at all...to discuss ideas

As to the OP I have to disagree. I've found that most of the forums on "top level" trackers are pretty good. There are two in particular that I really enjoy and find to be very welcoming. Another that a lot of people love to beg for I don't find I have much in common with the posters...mainly because the maturity level is lacking, however the content on that tracker more then makes up for it so I still love it

EDIT:

I would agree that it's getting pretty annoying hearing community as an excuse for asking for a tracker. While community may be important all these collectors trying to extend their e-penis are making me sick

Tip one if you truly cared about community you'd have mates to invite you and you wouldn't need to ask on a public forum.

Tip two if you have trouble communicating it's pretty obvious you're full of shit. If you can't make sensible posts how are you ever going to get along on community based trackers

Tip three THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME CONTENT
    Last edited by sear; 01-20-2008 at 09:57 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Nobody asks about me when I'm gone a few days
    Now go away.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Nobody asks about me when I'm gone a few days
    who are you

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast