Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying New Computer..... Need suggestions & advice.

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I specced the more expensive memory because it's frequency matches the FSB of the CPU.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Thanks Clocker. If no one else has anything to add that's probably the exact rig I'm going to buy in a few days.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I really like the GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R mobo Clocker found. It appears to be a new revision of one of my favrites, it supports DDR3 now!

I don't like the Corsair PSUs. They are still new to the market in that field, and for the same amount of money ($150) you could get a SilverStone 750 watt. Very arguably one of the best PSU manufactures. It also has an additional rail at 18Amps. I know the SilverStone has a power efficiency of better than 80%. I don't even see what the Corsair is rated at.

To each his own, but I think the Cool Master Centurion 5 case is awful ugly.
    For $40 it's a good deal, I'll give that. But keep in mind, out of all the pieces of a computer - the case is the one your gonna have to look at every time you do anything. I'd like to encourage you to spend some money here and really go through and pick out something that really expresses "you". This is also one of those things you can carry from one build to another... I've had my current case since 2005, working on my 4th build with it.
    Last edited by Broken; 01-22-2008 at 05:57 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Oh shit! Dont talk about Clocker's favorite PSU! JK

@ monkey sorry man I was in a rush and just remembered a few recent suggestions people made here. Apparently I didn't read your post very well. Also the case isn't as loud as you might think. You can set the fans to low or not use them if they're not needed. Also IMO the stock cooling should be enough unless you're gonna do some serious Oc'ing. Otherwise it's fine

Awesome picks clocker. I also know you love the Patriot Ram, but me myself am partial to OCZ and Crucial

I have 4 gigs of this ATM

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    $94.99 ($69.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate)

The savings could pay for the shipping

@Broken What case it it man!? I kind of agree I originall looked at the Antec 900 because I LOVE the way it looks but after researching it a bit It's a good deal well built and would cool HELL. I dont think the Cooler Master cases are ugly they have a bunch of em for under $50 on newegg

Wow really love the MoBo heres a view of the board itself

Last edited by Detale; 01-22-2008 at 08:26 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    svr's Avatar Ultimata Warrior BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I think you should go intel and nvidia route. Nvidia gfx cards have less problems in general than ati. Intel just walks over amd processors.

For PSU I recommend corsair or seasonic, they have pretty much same parts inside but I prefer corsair for cheaper modular units. Corsair hx520 or hx620 are very nice modular PSU's with 5 year warranty. They are said to be the silentest PSU's out there. Im not familiar with silverstones PSU's but I havent heard anyone praise their silentness. In fact I just checked SPCR and some 500w silverstone was said to be whiny.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I don't like the Corsair PSUs. They are still new to the market in that field...
    They've been out for a few years now and have an excellent rep.
    Not only do they have a 5 year warranty but Corsair rates their supplies at 50°c (many builders rate theirs at much lower temps) so it actually puts out the 620w at operating temp.
    Plus, it's modular- a feature I can't live without anymore.

To each his own, but I think the Cool Master Centurion 5 case is awful ugly.
    For $40 it's a good deal, I'll give that. But keep in mind, out of all the pieces of a computer - the case is the one your gonna have to look at every time you do anything. I'd like to encourage you to spend some money here and really go through and pick out something that really expresses "you". This is also one of those things you can carry from one build to another... I've had my current case since 2005, working on my 4th build with it.
    I don't think it's ugly but it wouldn't be my first choice either.
    It fit the budget, what can I say?
    In it's favor, the case is well constructed and the extensive meshing makes for good airflow.
    He can always upgrade the case later as funding permits, right?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    He can always upgrade the case later as funding permits, right?
    Yes he could.
    But I prefer getting it right the first time. Otherwise it's like burning money.
    A better case now (if he wants one) would save money in the long run. It's hard to say how tight his budget is when that's taken into account.
    A case can have a VERY long useful life.

When it comes down to it,
    the case is the one part of a build I hate to suggest. I think of it as a work of art (yes, very corny).
    And the case, well that's it. Doesn't matter what's on the inside if I hate looking at it.

Like I said these are my personal feelings towards case selection.
    You can get the little black box, or the fully decked out super gamer case that's gonna get the attention of anyone that walks in the room.
    They'll both crunch number the same.

But I know which I would want....
    And I know which will sell faster when it's time to retrieve my investment.

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    They've been out for a few years now and have an excellent rep.
    Not only do they have a 5 year warranty but Corsair rates their supplies at 50°c (many builders rate theirs at much lower temps) so it actually puts out the 620w at operating temp.
    Plus, it's modular- a feature I can't live without anymore.
    I haven't heard a lot about them when it comes to power supplies ( their memory of course is top shelf), the oldest reviews I've found about them is only from last year. I also did come across the fact that everyone believes they are simply re-branded Seasonics - which does net them a little more respect in my book if it's true. Also if so, it's cheaper to buy the comparable Seasonic model that actual has a higher power rating, that is without the "limited time offer" of $30 off on the Corsair.

For MY money, and the best advice I can give,
    SilverStone 750W
    Or the non re-branded higher rated version of the PSU that clocker suggest.
    SeaSonic 650W

I prefer the Silverstone because it gives you a whole extra rail.
    But, if you aren't gonna use it that doesn't mean much.

Any of the above power supplies are modular.
    I do agree, if not that could be a deal breaker. Nothing worst looking than hanging cables, and they always seem to find a way to get in the way.
    Last edited by Broken; 01-22-2008 at 05:33 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Well, Jeebus smiled down upon me today.

Picked up a Corsair 620w- for ME!- for only $100 at CompUSA.
    $108.62 out the door w/tax.

Praise the Lord for going out of business sales.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I'd buy that for a buck.
    Good score.

I wish there was a CompUSA around here. Always on the look out for parts.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Yes he could.
    But I prefer getting it right the first time. Otherwise it's like burning money.
    A better case now (if he wants one) would save money in the long run. It's hard to say how tight his budget is when that's taken into account.
    A case can have a VERY long useful life.

When it comes down to it,
    the case is the one part of a build I hate to suggest. I think of it as a work of art (yes, very corny).
    And the case, well that's it. Doesn't matter what's on the inside if I hate looking at it.

Like I said these are my personal feelings towards case selection.
    You can get the little black box, or the fully decked out super gamer case that's gonna get the attention of anyone that walks in the room.
    They'll both crunch number the same.

But I know which I would want....
    And I know which will sell faster when it's time to retrieve my investment.
    We share many similar opinions about cases, I've always been rather extravagant in my choices although I must say, I've never found them to be very good investments in terms of resale.

As I look over my current case collection and read about new releases, I am more and more intrigued with the idea of building my own enclosure.
    I have the know-how and tooling necessary, I just need to refine the requirements into a manageable design.
    It's an interesting intellectual exercise.

I'd buy that for a buck.
    Good score.
    I wish there was a CompUSA around here. Always on the look out for parts.
    I've been playing chicken with that PSU for a few weeks now.
    They had two in stock and I've been monitoring the price reductions, hoping it would go lower.
    Yesterday I saw they were down to just one and decided it wasn't worth the risk to wait for a better discount- I mean really, it was already $40 less than Newegg's sale price- so I bit.

Other than that PSU there wasn't another single thing I thought worth buying in the store.

On a side note...prominently displayed on the Corsair's box is printed "Recommended by JonnyGuru", which I found intriguing and somewhat odd.
    Almost singlehandedly he has raised the bar in PSU evaluation and I have nothing but respect for his opinions but I didn't realize his reviews were commercially viable or for sale.
    Interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast