Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: is filesharingtalk classed as a 'warez' site?

AvRiL LaViGnE's Avatar Girl Friend BT Rep: +2
    it isn't a warez site

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #32
    Poster
    It's not a warez site. It's a site in which file sharing is discussed, just like it name says...

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #33
    thanks for the info guys. does anyone know about the site RLSLOG.NET. is that site a legitimate and legal site?

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #34
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I agree with Rossco. I see no intrinsic difference between NZB and Torrent files, from a technical viewpoint.

However I also agree with him in that it's currently torrent providers who are attracting all of the attention. Just look at what happened to Oink.

So from a purely pragmatic viewpoint it makes absolute sense for him to allow posting of NZB files but not torrent files. I'm sure he would agree that may change as the filesharing World changes.

Where I fundamentally disagree is this whole "invite trading" thing, as I think it leads to other people being put at risk. We have discussed that at some length elsewhere.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #35
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    I agree with Rossco. I see no intrinsic difference between NZB and Torrent files, from a technical viewpoint.

However I also agree with him in that it's currently torrent providers who are attracting all of the attention. Just look at what happened to Oink.

So from a purely pragmatic viewpoint it makes absolute sense for him to allow posting of NZB files but not torrent files. I'm sure he would agree that may change as the filesharing World changes.

Where I fundamentally disagree is this whole "invite trading" thing, as I think it leads to other people being put at risk. We have discussed that at some length elsewhere.
    Definitely agree. You save yourself a lot of hassle, headaches and legal problems by just disallowing hosting and links to torrent files on FST. NZB files are ok due to it not being a problem or even a grey area (Yet)as far as file sharing. That could all change but probably won't (Not at least for the time being).

To the OP, all the concerns you have as far as getting into trouble with the said sites you mentioned= no trouble at all (Unless your country prohibits any activity related to file sharing or even talk relating to file sharing).

Meaning if your sites do not ban the mention or access to file sharing resources then it should be ok. Reading the opinions of others is not problematic or illegal, meaning it is not illegal(In most places).

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #36
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    if "warez" is defined as "empty words".
    then yes,
    it is.

It isn't and I don't believe that as a whole - our words are empty.
    Why do you, Zed?

-bd

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #37
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    yes thats what im trying to say, a bit further up someone said that nzb's are fine but torrents aren't so why would nzb's not be classed as warez when torrents are?
    Not sure.
    IMO, Torrents are fine.
    The only reason we don't allow torrents here is because of all the heat on torrent sites. RIAA sueing and stuff.
    They don't go after NZB sites (yet).
    But all an nzb file is is a reference to a location of files. They're essentially no different from an RS link or a link to a page with RS link. An nzb points to the location on a server, just like a url.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #38
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Not sure.
    IMO, Torrents are fine.
    The only reason we don't allow torrents here is because of all the heat on torrent sites. RIAA sueing and stuff.
    They don't go after NZB sites (yet).
    But all an nzb file is is a reference to a location of files. They're essentially no different from an RS link or a link to a page with RS link. An nzb points to the location on a server, just like a url.
    I'm well aware of what an NZB file is. I've done extensive work with them for this site...

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #39
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post

I'm well aware of what an NZB file is. I've done extensive work with them for this site...
    K, so why ban RS links? There's more heat on usenet right now than on hosting sites.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #40
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Ummm, no there's not, Rapidsahre is giving away customers details to the feds/cops/governement officials, not just the US ones either, I've only no of 1 or 2 nzb sites that are under pressure, one was closed due to the Wolverine leak, and the other one is FTD which is fightning since it's legal were they are....as far as I know, there has never been a letter sent to someone for download/uploading to Usenet, except in teh cases of child pron. And a NZB does not point to a URL or server, the client you use to download has to read the Message ID from the post, and it has to "decode" teh message, that's not even remotely the same as Rapidshit.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 06-08-2009 at 11:49 PM.
    [center]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast