Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: True Or False

mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    My pc has take thousands of restarts over the years and still works like a charm. I think what you have to be carefull of is overheating when the pc is on.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    I think you should leave it on...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    i think a much greater concern should be keeping the inside of your PC clean. dust and dirt will do more damage than most things.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    I think PCs have a life of around 5000 hours. I have never left my PC on for more than like 2 days running. I recommend that you always turn your monitor off when your PC is vacant.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I think 5000 is a big underestimate for a computers lifespan, thats only 200 days. My current pc would be getting near its lifetime and my previous one would have been long dead. 5000 hours might be the mean time between failure ie where one part breaks, but in my experience fans are usually one of the first things to go and as long as u realise quickly fixing it costs less than a tenner so u can&#39;t really call that the computers lifetime

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    i only turn mine off wen it dont need to be used and thats like 1 nite out of the whole week runs good tho sumtimes i restart it wen i need to other than that i my monitor just turns on and off a couple times wen i leave it on for awhile so yea i think its healty

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    just another point.
    i turned on a light today and it blew

how many times have you seen a light blow when it has been on for a while compared to it blowing when you turn it on?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    gaz_k's Avatar Poster
    very very good point&#33;&#33;&#33;

and wen sum pc&#39;s are a little knackered and temprimental, turning on and off may take several attempts to get it working.

just like wen your car is knackered it takes a while to get it going.. but it fine wen left ticking over&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Light bulbs blow when they&#39;re switched on because the little coils inside them act as an inductor and sudden switching on causes the voltage across this inductor to spike which can destroy the very fine wire. (Hence my comment near the start about power supplies taking the brunt of switching on and off, but power supplies are built with smoothing circuits nad protections against that kinda thing)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by ilw@1 August 2003 - 13:13
    Light bulbs blow when they&#39;re switched on because the little coils inside them act as an inductor and sudden switching on causes the voltage across this inductor to spike which can destroy the very fine wire. (Hence my comment near the start about power supplies taking the brunt of switching on and off, but power supplies are built with smoothing circuits nad protections against that kinda thing)
    of course a lightbulb is a lot less complex than a pc, however, the same effect is in place when turning on a pc as a lightbulb
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast