Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Careful when clicking links or sending mails

rocky1234's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    This is insane. Knowing IP by an means what so ever to ban a user. What will happen if a user has a dynamic IP ??

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by dunson View Post
    Speaking of IPs and forums. When someone has a little banner that shows your IP address etc, I assume they don't have a log of that, do they? That'd be an amazing invasion of privacy that seems to be tolerated on a lot of sites.
    no lol

those banner show IP address of whoever is viewing it (including the person who posted it)

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Neo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by nixonsparanoia View Post
    How effective is the IP change I get when i restart my modem? Does it cycle through a limited number of IP addresses; meaning it will eventually return to the one that was banned or compromised? What sort of security does turning my modem on and off frequently provide?
    I'm sorry for my ignorance but I share this member's doubt. Does anyone know if this is effective in anyway?

Thx in advance.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by leopalas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nixonsparanoia View Post
    How effective is the IP change I get when i restart my modem? Does it cycle through a limited number of IP addresses; meaning it will eventually return to the one that was banned or compromised? What sort of security does turning my modem on and off frequently provide?
    I'm sorry for my ignorance but I share this member's doubt. Does anyone know if this is effective in anyway?

Thx in advance.
    i think if you have dynamic ip then it changes as u restart the modem but still it's not gonna be totally different ip but just a lil different by some #s

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by nixonsparanoia
    i'm assuming you have a dynamic ip address ... you'll get a new ip address that's near the same range, e.g. if you're old ip address was aa.bb.cc.dd.e, you're new ip address would be something like aa.cc.de.ffg.h or something along those lines; you won't get a completely different ip address like fff.g.hhh.i or something because it's coming from the same place, unless you're spoofing your ip address ;/

turning off your modem time and time again won't do you much good because there will always be those 1 or 2 sections of similar digits that can be linked back to your original bad ip address; if can be evasive, however, if you were banned from a single ip (which is dumb), in which if you reset your modem your ip will refresh to something similar, but different

edit: fuck you, squirr3l

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Thank you squirr3l and th0r. That's more or less what I thought. Most numbers will remain the same. It is therefore easily tracable...

But when trackers ban ONE IP ( not a range ) it is usually the registering IP, isn't it? They don't keep track of all the login IP's do they? If a person accessed from a wide range of IP's it should be o.k. to register again using one of those...

I'm asking this out of pure curiosity.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    nixonsparanoia's Avatar Poster
    So is similar but different enough to provide me with some sense of anonymity, or will the person still be able to figure out it's me?

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by leopalas
    Thank you squirr3l and th0r. That's more or less what I thought. Most numbers will remain the same. It is therefore easily tracable...

But when trackers ban ONE IP ( not a range ) it is usually the registering IP, isn't it? They don't keep track of all the login IP's do they? If a person accessed from a wide range of IP's it should be o.k. to register again using one of those...

possibly; but then again, with such a wide range of varying ip address, the question of account sharing/trading comes up; if staff sees that ip ban and can match it to the parsed ip addresses of that account that come and go with that same account, then you'd be in more trouble

i'm not a programmer nor a staff member of any trackers, so i can't safely say whether or not trackers cache all ip addresses that view every account in some kind of encrypted log file, but i think it's safe so say that they do

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post
    edit: fuck you, squirr3l
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by leopalas View Post

i think it depends on the script the tracker uses

i am sure most sites do have a way to track all ip logs for each account (notice i didn't say all site have those logs coz i know some don't)

and that is how they usually decent account trading- ip change

if you wanna get have a different IP for particular site, i have heard someone mention 'use private proxy' (i think you have to pay or something...idk) or you can use 'ip changer' (software) and use a particular ip, ip range or a proxy they provide.

edit: boogie th0r
    Last edited by squirr3l; 02-15-2008 at 03:36 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Yeah... I remember one time when I thought I had been banned from SITR just to find out that in fact they had banned an all range of IP's coming from my ISP... It turns out that they had a lot of cheaters coming from that ISP and I was caught in middle. It was a bit dramatic for me at the time cause SITR was one of the first trackers I had. I couldn't even access their page let alone try to login.I could only access through a proxy and that was so much slower that I just gave up... Later I managed to register with a different IP when I changed ISP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123