Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone pls explain why

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    ocd

I'll stop, sorry.

2. Lounge   -   #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    None of my business like, Snee.

However feeding trolls, particularly such obvious ones doesn't strike me as your style.
    What is it with you JP... ?

That is the second time you have called me a troll... now I would suggest you put the fuck up and prove I'm a troll or STFU...

3. Lounge   -   #103
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    ocd

I'll stop, sorry.
    Matter for you, mate.

Just strikes me as a waste of your time.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. Lounge   -   #104
    Did not say forced. They just turned up, bit like missionaries.

It's entirely possible to be unwelcome but still be treated with respect.

That kind of does nothing of the sort, but anyway. Didn't have much to do with the west, or them acquiring western technology, or 1854 either, or WWII, but still, whatever makes you feel good, I guess. EDit: Or them turning expansionist.
    EDit:
    They kept both the chinese and the dutch on Dejima, off-shore, and the trading with the dutch consisted mainly, if not entirely, of low-tech stuff like silk for copper, as far as I can recall. It's been a while since I read up on it.
    Well history would seem to disagree with you... some nice pictures of the Dutch here BTW... http://www.iisg.nl/exhibitions/japaneseprints/

Funny I thought Nagasaki was on the mainland.

5. Lounge   -   #105
    Here you go Snee

Consensus among historians was once that Nagasaki was Japan's only window on the world during its time as a closed country in the Tokugawa era. However, nowadays it is generally accepted that this was not the case, since Japan interacted and traded with the Ryukyus, Korea and Russia through Satsuma, Tsushima and the north of Honshū respectively. Nevertheless, Nagasaki was depicted in contemporary art and literature as a cosmopolitan port brimming with exotic curiosities from the Western World.[2]
    And some more
    The policy stated that the only European influence permitted was the Dutch factory (trading post) at Dejima in Nagasaki. Trade with China was also handled at Nagasaki. In addition, trade with Korea was conducted via the Tsushima Domain (today part of Nagasaki Prefecture), with the Ainu via the Matsumae Domain in Hokkaidō, and with the Ryūkyū Kingdom via the Satsuma Domain (in present-day Kagoshima Prefecture). Apart from these direct commercial contacts in peripheral provinces, all of these countries sent regular tributary missions to the shogunate's seat in Edo. As the emissaries traveled across Japan, Japanese citizens caught a glimpse of foreign cultures.
    Last edited by manicgeek; 02-19-2008 at 12:29 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #106
    SpatulaGeekGirl's Avatar Noodle Critic BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaGeekGirl View Post

I know their age of consent is 13.
    It isn't usually that low in reality, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by Submission View Post
    how many of you know that Japan's legal age of consent is 13?
    I did not know that. Mostly 'cos it's not true, technically.

In the real world, that varies between jurisdictions. In Tokyo the effective age of consent is 17 (I just googled for an example).

Canadian age of consent: 12/14/18 lololol.
    Wells, I meant it can be, is whats I meant.
    That's the way the potato mashes.
    That's the way the pan flashes.
    That's the way the market crashes.
    That's the way the whip lashes.
    That's the way the teeth gnashes.

7. Lounge   -   #107
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post
    Did not say forced. They just turned up, bit like missionaries.

It's entirely possible to be unwelcome but still be treated with respect.

That kind of does nothing of the sort, but anyway. Didn't have much to do with the west, or them acquiring western technology, or 1854 either, or WWII, but still, whatever makes you feel good, I guess. EDit: Or them turning expansionist.
    EDit:
    They kept both the chinese and the dutch on Dejima, off-shore, and the trading with the dutch consisted mainly, if not entirely, of low-tech stuff like silk for copper, as far as I can recall. It's been a while since I read up on it.
    Well history would seem to disagree with you... some nice pictures of the Dutch here BTW... http://www.iisg.nl/exhibitions/japaneseprints/

Funny I thought Nagasaki was on the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by From your site
    From the 1630s to the middle of the nineteenth century, Japan was practically closed to foreigners. The only Westerners allowed to stay in Japan and engage in trade were the Dutch. They had to submit to very strict regulations, however, and were only allowed to live on Deshima, a small artificial island in Nagasaki harbor

8. Lounge   -   #108
    You might like to read post #105 Snee

9. Lounge   -   #109
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Must be a different definition of mainland, Japania being all islands and all

10. Lounge   -   #110
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post
    Here you go Snee

Consensus among historians was once that Nagasaki was Japan's only window on the world during its time as a closed country in the Tokugawa era. However, nowadays it is generally accepted that this was not the case, since Japan interacted and traded with the Ryukyus, Korea and Russia through Satsuma, Tsushima and the north of Honshū respectively. Nevertheless, Nagasaki was depicted in contemporary art and literature as a cosmopolitan port brimming with exotic curiosities from the Western World.[2]
    Exotic curiosities...yes, like a fleet of steam ships, and modern weaponry.

Oh, no, wait, that was after 1854, silly me.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the term the west, as I'm using it. I'm referring to Europe and the Americas, perhaps you've heard of them?..

And some more
    The policy stated that the only European influence permitted was the Dutch factory (trading post) at Dejima in Nagasaki. Trade with China was also handled at Nagasaki. In addition, trade with Korea was conducted via the Tsushima Domain (today part of Nagasaki Prefecture), with the Ainu via the Matsumae Domain in Hokkaidō, and with the Ryūkyū Kingdom via the Satsuma Domain (in present-day Kagoshima Prefecture). Apart from these direct commercial contacts in peripheral provinces, all of these countries sent regular tributary missions to the shogunate's seat in Edo. As the emissaries traveled across Japan, Japanese citizens caught a glimpse of foreign cultures.
    ...doesn't quite sound like it.

They let emissaries from "local" nations travel to the shogunate seat AND did some trading with other countries in the region, though, that's got to mean something. Well, not really anything wrt what I've been saying, or them turning expansionist after having the merkins pressure them, but still.

EDit: Ryukyu was running frikkin Okinawa as late as 1879 according to wikipedia, I did not know that, kewl.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-19-2008 at 12:48 AM.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast