Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: !warning !

Double Agent
    ahh hahhahha

they ain't gonna get shit from me, man.

Dude u had us worried I though you were talking about trojans.

good thing i am not in the usa

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Once again people,

Downloading copyrighted material is not illegal.

Uploading [or sharing] is. That is why the RIAA, MPAA and others are downloading from users. To prove that they are sharing copyrighted material.

BTW, james_bond_rulez, Don't think your safe being outside the US. Most movies and music are copyrighted in all but a few countries. While the RIAA is an American association, there are similar ones in different countries[as well as the copyright holders themselves] that can go after file sharers.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by harrycary@1 August 2003 - 21:05
    Once again people,

Uploading [or sharing] is. That is why the RIAA, MPAA and others are downloading from users. To prove that they are sharing copyrighted material.
    That's what I said before. But someone told me that isn't true that both uploading and dowloading copyrighted material is illegal.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Originally posted by harrycary@1 August 2003 - 22:05
    Once again people,

BTW, james_bond_rulez, Don't think your safe being outside the US. Most movies and music are copyrighted in all but a few countries. While the RIAA is an American association, there are similar ones in different countries[as well as the copyright holders themselves] that can go after file sharers.
    i copied this from the internet for you it should gives you more information about
    download files media or audio softwafe or any other copyrighted material...

Is downloading mp3 files illegal?

Yes, and no. According to copyright law, distribuiting or obtaining a copyrighted work (such as a music file) without the permission of the copy right holder is against the law. This is why the answer was both yes and no. Some music files are copyrighted, some are not. To go one step further, even though some music files are copyrighted, the artists freely give away and provide the songs for download on the internet. So, according to copyright law, here is the breakdown for what is illegal and legal.
    Illegal:
    Downloading music files which are copyrighted that you do not hold the copyright to. For example, logging on to Audiogalaxy or Napster and downloading the newest song by Matchbox 20 (which is copyrighted like 99% of the music on Audiogalaxy and Kaaza). Once you obtained the work of music on your computer you would be in posession of copyrighted material which you did not pay for, and thus this would be illegal, and you could face prosecution.
    The same thing applies for burning compact discs of music that you have not purchased. It is also illegal, and you could face prosecution.

Legal:
    Downloading copyrighted songs, which have been made available by the artist for free download. In this case the copyright holder is allowing the free distibution of their work by posting it themselves and controlling the distrobution. For example, logging onto Mp3.com and downloading a song by delirious, a popular group from the UK. They have several songs available, which are all copyrighted, for download. However, to stay in the realm of the legal, you must abide by their usage restrictions on the music, which are usually minimal, such as the music is for your personal use only. By downloading these types of music files, you agree to any restrictions there may be on the music.
    Downloading non-copyrighted songs, that are freely available.

Downloading copyrighted music which you "own". For example, I went out and purchased a Bon Jovi compact disc. A few months after I buy the disc, I drop the disc on the ground, and it becomes so scratched it skips when it plays. Since I have already purchased the music, I can get online and download all of the songs which are on that disc, and go ahead and burn a copy for my personal use.

Is "lending" mp3 files illegal?
    Yes, if someone else is possessing them without owning them, it is an infringement of copyright law and is illegal.
    Can't I let my friend "borrow" a cd of mine via mp3 files?
    Yes, you could, but in that case you would not be able to posess either the physical copy of the mp3 files either on your computer or on compact disc. You can let a friend borrow your compact disc, or other form of media, but then in essence they are borrowing the copyright for the music as well. Once you have the music in 2 or more places at the same time, not all being in your posession, you have distribuited the copyrighted music illegally since there is someone other than yourself posessing the music which you have purchased and is currently in your possession.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    downloading copyrighted files without patying is definitely illegal according to the dmca <--wow, dejavu

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    they can call it legal or illlegal watever. wat it really is , is GREEED. theyve already made their money from concerts, merchandise, cd&#39;s, etc.etc. . the big wigs just can&#39;t stand it when the little man wins. and that&#39;s wat kazaa makes possible. "Letting the Little Man Win once in a while".
    fuk RIAA&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; is it morally illegal for them and the Mpaa to continue to charge us for shit that&#39;s been sold a million times. after so long it should become public domain. I like Black Sabbath (w/ozzy of course). they didn&#39;t even have CD;s back then and yet the cd&#39;s you buy today at your local greedy Record bar or Camelot music have top dollar on them regardless when they were produced or recorded(which in Black Sabbath&#39;s case well b4 CD&#39;s were born).
    we all know how much it costs to make a cd. is that anywhere close to how much you have to pay. NOT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    fuk all these overpaid musicians and producers and mixers and CO&#39;s. if it wasn&#39;t for the desire of the people to listen to their overpriced shit, they wouldn&#39;t have a pot to piss in. Just wait , this one&#39;s gonna bite em where it hurts&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Downloading copyrighted music which you "own". For example, I went out and purchased a Bon Jovi compact disc. A few months after I buy the disc, I drop the disc on the ground, and it becomes so scratched it skips when it plays. Since I have already purchased the music, I can get online and download all of the songs which are on that disc, and go ahead and burn a copy for my personal use.

Thank you. That cleared up something i had in mind for some time now.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    ok thanks but

I dont think theres any resaon to panic about it

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    who&#39;s to say that all my music i have on pc is not from music i bought. see that&#39;s the kicker. Riaa can subpeona people by just looking at their files . why are the laws changed for them . wat happened to innocent b4 proven guilty.
    let&#39;s take up arms and go deal with the RIAA the ol fashioned way&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    fukin law breakers (RIAA&#33
    but wat beats it all is that they have these cronie congressmen in office to back up there little WAR of GREED by saying" that filesharing is no different then holding up a bank and stealing" one more time for the record FUK RIAA&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Didn&#39;t this start off as an tomb raider topic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast