Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Where Is The Sense In

Ex-member
    Originally posted by JPaul@7 August 2003 - 00:50
    Excellent post - well presented, where can I hand my humanity in.
    right here:

On a serious note:

I think RPerry is like me, he thinks the world would be a great place if humans could understand and accept their differences. There's nothing wrong with being idealistic.
    However, I (and he, I hope) am also realistic... the world is not like that, and probably never will be

It is possible to be idealistic and realistic. Strange but true.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    Poster
    Did you actually read the words of our respective posts, or was that a conditioned response.

You really should react to what people actually say and not what you expect them to.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73
    Ex-member
    It's late and I'm tired... I can't sleep 'cos I'm too hot

This may explain why I seem to have misinterpreted RPerry's post...

never mind me, I'll get me coat.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I have no problems with disagreements, it just seems like people hide behind what country's flag flys over their heads. Like I said, I'm sure we all have things in our countries history's that we are ashamed of.

Mature debates I can handle, Immature debates tend to get under my skin. I really don't see where blaming particular people's Countries for your problems solve anything to begin with. If you want to have a mature debate, come up with solutions, I'm sure you can have a nice debate over that

@JPaul
    You know nothing about me, nor where I am coming from. Your generalization of me and my generation tells me you haven't the slightest idea you know anything about me. To me that kind of generalization is just about as bad a racism. I say this because my ideals do not fit in with most people my age. I have had too many friends think the best way to run this country is to throw all immigrants out, and let the rest of the world solve its own problems, God help us if any of them ever run for political office.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75
    Poster
    Originally posted by RPerry@7 August 2003 - 02:10

@JPaul
    You know nothing about me, nor where I am coming from. Your generalization of me and my generation tells me you haven't the slightest idea you know anything about me. To me that kind of generalization is just about as bad a racism. I say this because my ideals do not fit in with most people my age. I have had too many friends think the best way to run this country is to throw all immigrants out, and let the rest of the world solve its own problems, God help us if any of them ever run for political office.
    As such I can only respond to what you post, which I did. By our words, so shall you know us.

Why do you equate me to a racist. Such obvious flame bait is neither wanted nor needed here. I find it whole-ly inappropriate. I merely responded to what you said.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Originally posted by JPaul@6 August 2003 - 23:49
    Why do you equate me to a racist. Such obvious flame bait is neither wanted nor needed here. I find it whole-ly inappropriate. I merely responded to what you said.
    I am sorry if you think my comment was to flame you, that was not intended. I simply pointed out that making a generalization to that extent was as bad.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    Poster
    No, I didn't think you were flaming me.

I described your post as flame bait. Equating me to a racist, which I hope you agree is seriously offensive.

Meaning it was intended to draw flame to you, from me.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #78
    chalkmongoose
    Oh lovely, you know the world's gone to hell when two moderators start flaming.
    I think that the problem with racism is that nobody looks deeply into it. Yes, Americans enslaved Africans and wiped out the Native Americans, and also the Mid-Easterners, Asians... Etc... But Africans kept slaves as well! And Native Americans loved commiting genocide! And Japan isn't exactly a powderpuff! And don't get me started on Afghans, who cut off hands for stealing bread.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #79
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Yes, Americans enslaved Africans
    Did they?

I always thought it was the British did that, then sold them to the Americans.

Although it was very rare for Brits to keep slaves, they started the Slave Trangle.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #80
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    A close inspection of history will reveal the oft-overlooked fact that Africans were even enslaved by their own countrymen (blacks owned blacks).

This, of course, does not mean that the U.S. is willing to share the blame for the plight of slavery; it is, after all, totally our fault.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast