Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isp Is Spying On Me ?

Poster
    I recently installed Sygate Firewall, and when lookin at IP's who have tried to connect to me i noticed one which my firewall had to continuesly block and at many different ports.

I used a brilliant site called http://www.arin.net/whois/ most of you probably heard of them.
    Well anyway i searched the IP and tracked it down to a branch of my ISP, who are NTL.
    They are called ,

NTL-UK-IP-Block

Take a look here.>> http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois?form_type=s...o_search=Search

Can anyone who has knowledge of this kind of thing shed any light on the situation ?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    erm...sharing copyrighted material is against the terms and conditions in your isp contract...

why shouldn't they be tracing you?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    yeah sygate detects those udp packets that your isp sends and blocks them (isps are always sending out udp requests to "check" on their customers)

don&#39;t worry your firewall is doing it&#39;s job

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by &#036;nax@3 August 2003 - 21:36
    I recently installed Sygate Firewall, and when lookin at IP&#39;s who have tried to connect to me i noticed one which my firewall had to continuesly block and at many different ports.

I used a brilliant site called http://www.arin.net/whois/ most of you probably heard of them.
    Well anyway i searched the IP and tracked it down to a branch of my ISP, who are NTL.
    They are called ,

NTL-UK-IP-Block

Take a look here.>> http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois?form_type=s...o_search=Search

Can anyone who has knowledge of this kind of thing shed any light on the situation ?
    I&#39;ve noticed something similar.
    When my downloads reach a certain speed, netlimiter shows that windows messenger is connected to NTL infrastucture centre(something like that anyway).

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Perhaps someone is bored and is doing a portscan. But that&#39;s unlikely.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by dingdongding@3 August 2003 - 20:39
    yeah sygate detects those udp packets that your isp sends and blocks them (isps are always sending out udp requests to "check" on their customers)

don&#39;t worry your firewall is doing it&#39;s job
    What exactly are "UDP" packets, and what exactly is my isp looking for.

Im getting at least 5 of these an hour.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    I copied this from norton firewall help.

Some Internet service providers scan the ports on users&#39; computers to ensure that they are keeping to their service agreements. Norton Internet Security might interpret this as a malicious port scan and stop communications with your cable system. If this occurs, you need to let your cable provider run port scans.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by callum@4 August 2003 - 22:47
    I copied this from norton firewall help.

Some Internet service providers scan the ports on users&#39; computers to ensure that they are keeping to their service agreements. Norton Internet Security might interpret this as a malicious port scan and stop communications with your cable system. If this occurs, you need to let your cable provider run port scans.

To allow ISP port scans
    Do I need to do anything ?

Or shall I just leave it, as i obviously dont want them to see what i am doing.

They must be getting pretty pissed off, they are blocked all the time

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    screw these ISPs . Paying 50 a month for 384 DL and 128 UP is enough. But being spied on? I have Zonealarm now and now my ISP cannot snoob in my personal life.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Yeah I get the UDP packets all the time most of them come from your ISP but some also come from other bullshit, I read an article a few months back that was saying every home computer gets hacked about every two days but most people don&#39;t have anything of value so they just leave. I would suggest if your that worried about someone in your computer buy a router and a good firewall program that should keep most people out. If someone wants in to my computer let them come on in I back all my shit up anyways on a computer that I disable the internet on so its all safe. The worst thing you can have on your computer is banking and credit card purchases. I have a ghosted drive of my OS with everything I use regularly and I re-format weekly to get rid of all the crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast