Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopping the Cheaters

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well im not sure what that has to do with anything, but the biggest (i wont say best as it caught some innocents as well so i heard) was Oinks cheat script, but he/they did not share it with anyone.

but then im not saying thats a bad thing, as our SP system is exclusive to us and i very much doubt we will share the code for it any time soon, a tracker needs to have something to stand out from the rest.

but there are forums out there just for tracker staff. and no its not just for catching traders from here, there are coding forums as well. so they do exist just users dont know that they do exist lol

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    well im not sure what that has to do with anything, but the biggest (i wont say best as it caught some innocents as well so i heard) was Oinks cheat script, but he/they did not share it with anyone.

but then im not saying thats a bad thing, as our SP system is exclusive to us and i very much doubt we will share the code for it any time soon, a tracker needs to have something to stand out from the rest.

but there are forums out there just for tracker staff. and no its not just for catching traders from here, there are coding forums as well. so they do exist just users dont know that they do exist lol
    ... and sometimes you sysops do invite each other ...

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Actatoi's Avatar 2+2 is 5 if I say so BT Rep: +2
    You will never stop cheating, but you do can get the upper hand on the more noob cheaters out there. The more experienced and the ones with great knowledge about it will not do anything stupid, they will make sure that what they're using is safe and at what speeds etc. It's a neverending fight like with "thiefs" in the real life.
    What an ordinary day, the extraordinary way.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    saqib's Avatar Levels killing BT BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    well i ll not go in details about the reasons that why ppl do cheat , sometimes it is because of low pipes ( mostly in indian sub continent ) even though not all of them are cheaters , i use the highest commecial bandwidth here in pakistan ( 2mbit ) with shitty upload speed ( around 70 / 80 KB/s ) but still i do care about the communities i have to sedback , and it took me about 3 or 4 days to seed back properly ) .. and i aint find any reason that i should cheat on high level trackers coz many of them have seedbox , although it does effect low bandwidth users like me, but i think users like me from developing countries deserve some appreciation as i pay about 50% of my pocket money ( m a graduation student and do no job as of now ) for highest at the time bandwidth available .
    but this theory does not apply on all cheaters , as stoi has said that they have caught 2 ratio cheaters who actually cheated on their own uploaded stuff , i dont know what to call it , as i know 110% that they should had high bandwidth ( atleast 20 mbit + ) ..

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sert View Post
    threads like these will bring more negative results

the more you talk about cheaters' success the more you encourage other members to try to cheat

captain jack sparow was cheating in his movies also, but you I see him on your ava
    Wow you're clever

if you think BCG doesnt have any cheaters think again. they do it so they dont have to wait the 3 days to get SP, people are very greedy and thats basically the crutch of the matter, Greed.

Obviously you get the stupid ones, uploaded 10 gig in 10 seconds that are easy to spot, and then you get the harder to catch ones.

But we keep a record of every announce on every torrent, so its not hard to look at someones history and see if they are ok or a cheat, problem is with 47,000 members and only a handful of staff, its hard work. well not hard, just time consuming.

so even if you have no ratio and only a timefor seeding, they still dont want to wait the time for seeding, or they want PU/SPU so they still bloody cheat.
    Yeah I can imagine, but this is exactly what I'm talking about, you're trying to catch them by checking for signs of cheating on the torrents. Will there ever be a way to stop them from spoofing data completely?

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well for our uploaders we do not specify that they need a good bw to apply, anyone can apply as long as you use your comment sense, if your on dial up stick to NDS single roms and dont do 25 gig PS3 games sort of common sense lol

well like i mentioned Oink had a script and they never shared it, and i very much dowubt they will now lol

but that doesnt mean it wont happen again and someone else wont create one, but i still think human intervention is best, auto banning by the tracker (unless its totally obvious) just doesnt work 100% of the time imo.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-29-2008 at 12:16 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Diiyad View Post
    Wow you're clever

Yeah I can imagine, but this is exactly what I'm talking about, you're trying to catch them by checking for signs of cheating on the torrents. Will there
    ever be a way to stop them from spoofing data completely?
    Currently, the protocol doesn't allow it... In the future, i guess the protocol will support data spoofing detection.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    report him and maybe they will spare you.

if they find out he is a cheater by themself, u might also be in trouble.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    sert's Avatar t r e s BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12

Well you overestimate oink's staff about this, for two reasons:

1. they had way smaller files than scene trackers (compare an album with mp3s with a DVD-R) and ratio differences were easier to notice

2. they had always a person watching. This means that they were not relying only in checking client's announcements to the tracker but they also had an observer. You know if you actually watch the peers in a torrent its easy to note upload discrepancies. It is not difficult but its time consuming as you said in another post - this person(s) was doing the most work in the tacker.

All above for fake upload. As for ghost leeching, I think most trackers can now spot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diiyad
    Wow you're clever
    At least smarter than someone using jack sparow as avatar, are you a teenager or not yet?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    i think cheating methods shouldn't be discussed here at all. it just gives members and guests(!) wrong ideas.

if you want to talk about cheating meet in a private chat room or something and share your experiences there.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast